Mods on stock... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mods on stock...
Thursday, February 23, 2006 6:15 PM
Im going to be adding a body kit and doing some body work to the car. Im just wondering would it be ok if i added a 17 or 18 inch wheel with my stock suspension, would it give me any problems or break, blow??? anything

Re: Mods on stock...
Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:23 PM
you will be fine

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:24 PM
it will work fine but u will get that 4X4 look
Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:33 PM
4x4 is the devil...

Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:19 PM
But wouldnt adding larger wheels close the gap?
Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:38 PM
not if you use the right profile tire
it will make the gap look smaller
but in reality it wont really do much

Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:47 PM
Get the right size tire! Check out the Tire FAQ in the Wheels forum.

The gap will appear smaller with all that rim in there, but it doesn't actually change much. It will improve handling. You wont wear anything out faster than normal.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:00 PM
C.T.S wrote:Get the right size tire! Check out the Tire FAQ in the Wheels forum.

The gap will appear smaller with all that rim in there, but it doesn't actually change much. It will improve handling. You wont wear anything out faster than normal.

How will he improve handling if he is only doing wheel and tire? Sure the tire can provide more grip and sidewall stability, but is it that drastic? The larger wheel might also add weight, thus adding more rotating mass (although this is probably more delt with for braking). The nuts and bolts of the suspension is still stock. Until he gets down and dirty, I don't see the handling changing much, if at all.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:27 PM
Depending on the tires, yes.
Tires don't make up for good springs and struts, but there is a noticable improvement.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:52 PM
C.T.S wrote:Depending on the tires, yes.
Tires don't make up for good springs and struts, but there is a noticable improvement.

Yes, noticable, but is it that drastic to now take turns 10 MPH faster? I know where this is going...I just don't see it making that MUCH of a difference without proper suspension set ups. Otherwise, you will not get the fully potential of the tire.

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:08 AM
youd be suprised what good tires can do

Friday, February 24, 2006 6:30 AM
Jason wrote: Yes, noticable, but is it that drastic to now take turns 10 MPH faster? I know where this is going...I just don't see it making that MUCH of a difference without proper suspension set ups. Otherwise, you will not get the fully potential of the tire.

A set of z-rated tires will let you corner faster than your your stock p-rating. the compounds are different. Z rated, for example have a real soft compound which allows for maximum grip for cornering. This soft compound shortens tire life though. the p-rated has a more durable compound made for comfort and a longer life.

Z rated tires now have been split into a w and y catorgory but both are made for speeds of 149+ mph.
Friday, February 24, 2006 7:35 AM
I don't know...I just don't see the car handling THAT much better. But, I'll take your words for it, you guys know best!

Friday, February 24, 2006 12:30 PM
Ok so the final word is, that if i do change my rims (add an 18 over stock) and then put rubber on it, with stock suspensions, nothing would happen to my car noticeable, nothing would break, and the gap that is now there will also shrink. I guess thats how i picture it, since adding larger wheels should cut the gap down.... RIGHT?
Friday, February 24, 2006 1:59 PM
NO. The gap will be the same size. It will look smaller from the optical illusion.

Friday, February 24, 2006 2:12 PM
C.T.S wrote:NO. The gap will be the same size. It will look smaller from the optical illusion.

True.

This is because you will also have less of a sidewall. Make sure you get the proper size tire or your speedo will be way off. But everything will be the same dimensionally.

Friday, February 24, 2006 8:53 PM
Cool, i got this straightened out, thx for the input
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search