Gauging interest... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauging interest...
Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:38 PM
like i said in my other post, i'm pondering making a fiberglass copy of the 03-05 LSS rear lip to fit the 00-02 rear and possibly the 03-05 rear as well, i'm just wondering what kind of interest there would be in something like that, if i were to make them they'd have a bit of a delay as they'd have to be made to order individually and i'd only be able to work on them in my days off work, but i wouldnt say more than 2-3 weeks to make them and whatever the time it takes to ship, i'm not terribly good at fiberglass but i'm going to make a few prototypes over the winter to get practiced up and then have a few different ones to show once i feel they're ready for testing. the reason i say the 00-02 rear is because i have one already at home that i can use for test fitting and moulding but if i can get my hands on an 03-05 rear as well i'll be making a version for that as well, once i see if theres an interest in it or not i'll offer a version with 1 or 2 exhaust cut outs as well

basically what i'd like to know is this:
who would be interested?
how much would you consider reasonable for the lip?

any input would be appreciated

www.driftnamiperformance.com

Re: Gauging interest...
Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:47 PM
i may have an 00-02 lip lined up for my 03+ bumper. i'll get in touch with him again soon, and find out for sure. if not put me on the list pending price and what it resembles at the end of the day. if it comes off looking close to the 03+ rear lip i'm in.

that being said, what would you consider reasonable for your time and labor on the piece? honestly i don't feel like paying more than about 150 for a brand new lip, and it better be mint. but i'm somewhat of a cheapass and patient enough to wait for a used part to pop up if i can't afford brand new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:48 PM

Friday, November 26, 2010 5:08 AM
i'm not sure, i'd probably put a price on it comparable to other lips if not a bit cheaper, and i wouldnt send out a part unless i was completely happy with it, i'll be testing out the first one i make during the winter so that should give me a decent idea of the durability, another thing i'm gonna try to do is build it so it can be a direct replacement for the 00-02 rear lip, meaning if you have the LSS lip already, you can take it off and the new lip will fit into the same slots for the LSS, but thats something i'll have to test out in the spring when its not too cold to get out and make adjustments

Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:09 AM
FG lip. *shudders*

Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:58 AM
Just my 2 cents, but I don't think fiberglass is going to go over too well, and its probably not going to be very cost efficient for you in the long run. Personally, if I was interested in something like this, it wouldn't be worth more than $100 to me, and you're going to put a fair amount of money into each one in cloth, resin, filler, glaze, etc...not to mention your cost in sandpaper over the course of the batch, and a plug and mold if used, etc.

If I were you, I would look into shaping them from abs or urethane. Both are pretty inexpensive for the size needed, and is pretty easy to work with once you get a little practice. If you make a reusable plug out of fiberglass and tooling gel coat, its completely possible to shape out lips with nothing more than a cut sheet of plastic and heat gun, or if you get enough interest, set up a simple vaccuform table, throw the plastic in the oven, drape it over your plug, and vacufom it.
I think you would get much more interest in plastic/urethane, could sell for about the same price, and save yourself money and A LOT of time in labor. Once you have a usable plug/mold designed you can cast, set and have a pretty much finished lip...where with fiberglass your looking at several hours of building up layers of glass and curing, a good several hours od sanding and fillinf and more sanding.

Again, just my 2 cents, but I think with a plastic/urethane product you could have pretty much success with this, espcially considering the growing rarity of finding lss lips. I bet if you made some front and rear combos for both 00-02 and 03+, maybe even design a nice 03+ sunfire lip, you have a ton of business knocking at your door.

If you would decide to give this a try, feel free to shoot me a PM, I've been doing plastic work for a while now, id be more than happy to give you some tips and pointers.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:13 PM
will do, i'm really curious for this, i'll get at you in a pm when i get off work

Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:08 AM
Depending on the final product and price, I might be interested in one for a 2001 rear.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search