Just a few questions... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just a few questions...
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:54 AM
A couple of questions that have come to mind from browsing these forums a LOT over the past couple of weeks. Probably going to anger someone, but oh well. I'm just interested.

1. Whats with shaving emblems? The 02- Cavs look fine without the logos, but the 03+ just look weird with a weird gaping spot where it should be. It just seems pretty obvious that the logo was yanked off, and I don't really get why that's cool. Saw it on some Cobalts, too. Weird.

2. Why does everyone hate the 03+ Cav lightbar? It seems every single person who has an 03+ has had a trunk swap, and almost always preferably for a Z24 trunk. I don't know what you think, but I think the Z24 spoiler looks like it was glued on. Yeah, it's original, but original is not always good. I guess I don't understand why you would want your car to look like an older model.

3. This is not so much about the exterior, but how do so many of you own so many cars? I mean, I have two jobs, and they're pretty good, and I don't have too many expenses, and I have NO idea how I would afford two cars. I almost bought a 93 RS Convertible for $800, but didn't when I thought about insurance costs and everything else. I mean, I know I overpaid for my J, but owning multiple cars can't be cheap.

I guess that's it for now...I'll add more if I think of more.

Re: Just a few questions...
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:49 AM
1. Shaving emblems = smooth and clean. The more smooth the paint is, sometimes the cleaner it looks.

2. 03+ light bar is a huge ugly piece of plastic that doesn't fit the car in my opinion. Too big, too red, too reflective. Its not so much about making the car look like an older model as it is again, cleaning it up a bit more. I went with the option of toyota tail lights and the rk sport carbon fiber filler panel. Way better looking for sure.

3. Owning multiple cars depends on your income and how you spend it. I mean I have 3 cars and get a multi vehicle discount for having that many. Plus I got the other 2 at unbeatable prices. Put way too much money into my cav but ii have a budget set up to do it all. A lot will depend on your area and how much you work/make. I would see gas being the biggest expense but you are not filling up all vehicles at once. I have not filled my s10 in a month and not put gas in the cav for atleast 2. My cav is also on storage insurance right now too, so that makes it like $35 or $40 a month I think.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:27 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:1. Shaving emblems = smooth and clean. The more smooth the paint is, sometimes the cleaner it looks.

2. 03+ light bar is a huge ugly piece of plastic that doesn't fit the car in my opinion. Too big, too red, too reflective. Its not so much about making the car look like an older model as it is again, cleaning it up a bit more. I went with the option of toyota tail lights and the rk sport carbon fiber filler panel. Way better looking for sure.

3. Owning multiple cars depends on your income and how you spend it. I mean I have 3 cars and get a multi vehicle discount for having that many. Plus I got the other 2 at unbeatable prices. Put way too much money into my cav but ii have a budget set up to do it all. A lot will depend on your area and how much you work/make. I would see gas being the biggest expense but you are not filling up all vehicles at once. I have not filled my s10 in a month and not put gas in the cav for atleast 2. My cav is also on storage insurance right now too, so that makes it like $35 or $40 a month I think.

That's pretty much it.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:10 AM
1. Personal preference

2. Personal preference.

3. Get a better job. If you profile is right you're barely out of high school.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:46 PM
Thanks Built. I like the look with the carbon filler pannel. I'm too timid to do anything serious to my car since I'm financing it. But you answered my questions. And your car is amazing.

Scott - I'm 21, a college graduate with a Bachelor's and I currently have two jobs, one I work 30 hours a week and the other 35, I get paid $13 and $11 respectively at both jobs. One is offering me a salary position within the next year in the field I got my degree. So, I'm really not sure what else I can do, any advice?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:31 PM
Thanks. I appreciate it. I really do, it has taken a lot of time money and patience to get it where I want it.

Only thing I would change different is pay it off sooner than I did. I was modding it while paying it off. Just be patient and lay a plan out. I got very financilly planned early and it helped me out a ton.

Also look for good deals, my car is one big rolling bargain... the total I have into my car is a lot less than one would expect.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:30 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Thanks. I appreciate it. I really do, it has taken a lot of time money and patience to get it where I want it.

Only thing I would change different is pay it off sooner than I did. I was modding it while paying it off. Just be patient and lay a plan out. I got very financilly planned early and it helped me out a ton.

Also look for good deals, my car is one big rolling bargain... the total I have into my car is a lot less than one would expect.

agreed, work on paying the car off and looking for the best deals. to many people pay full price just because they can't wait and have to have it. seen it so many times with things like body kits. they pay a huge as price and wont even have the money to paint it. most of the bigger parts ive bought on my car were bought when a great deal came around.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:34 PM
Tania nol wrote:
3. This is not so much about the exterior, but how do so many of you own so many cars? I mean, I have two jobs, and they're pretty good, and I don't have too many expenses, and I have NO idea how I would afford two cars. I almost bought a 93 RS Convertible for $800, but didn't when I thought about insurance costs and everything else. I mean, I know I overpaid for my J, but owning multiple cars can't be cheap.

don't think about it, just buy buy buy lol

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:45 PM
^^^lolz

i haz the 03+ lightbar still. everyone says they're horribly ugly, and stock i must agree. but remove the bowtie, and nightshade it and bam! whole different look. i have a c/f bowtie over the keyhole so that it looks halfway shaved. thanks to vincent^^^^^^thanks buddy!

plus i get tired of seeing every modded cav have the same trunk setup. 95-02 trunk with toyo tails.

thinking of stickerbombing the whole lightbar except where the circular bumpouts are for the light to come through. we shall see......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:46 PM

Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:28 AM
Bluecavvy, do you have any pictures of how that looks? I don't know if blacking it out would look really good on a black car though...I tend to like contrast more than doing the whole midnight thing.

Yeah, looking at my truth in lending papers, I'm going to end up paying 8,800 for a 2005 base model cavvy with not one single addition. So you can make fun of me.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:05 AM
oh, my... i'm not gonna make fun of you, but i do feel for you.
and as far as blu's lightbar goes, it looks pretty nice! i think (if you have yours imitate his) that the amount of red that he left will give your black car just the right amount of contrast it needs.

here's a quick example of a painted bar that i've always liked

Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:08 PM
wow thats outragous... i paid $7500 for my 2000 Z24 stock in 2005...

In my opinion the 00 - 02s look the best, and quite a few people agree (not everyone agrees... but there is a good percentage here that does)...

Wings don't need to stick high up in the air, our cars aren't rear wheel drive, i think the decklids GM put stock on all third gens are tasteful.

as for insurance, mine dropped $9 a month by dropping my 93 cavalier VL off the policy... a car that old doesn't hold a high insurance rate.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:31 AM
I'm happy to say that I'm paying a little less for my car because I finally got around to cancelling the damn extended warranty...hopefully I get a good amount back from that.

Also, I agree on the decklids, and I just bought one off ebay. Hopefully that works out, since the car already has the third brake light in the back seat area and this one comes with the light on the spoiler. I have no idea how to install one of these, but I have a friend who's pretty smart so this way I'll start learning.

I don't know what else to do with the rear end, I'll probably look at some more pictures. I kind of like the clear corners thing too...

As far as preferences, I'm glad I have the last gen of Cavs because I like it more. I just don't dig the 96-02 front end. I kind of like the boxy generation before that, though.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:37 AM
the front end changed in 2000... 95 - 99 has one front end, 00 - 02 has another, and the 03+ has the pointed nose front end.

if you get clear corners, go toyota cavalier (95-99 or 00 - 02 style -- (95-99 have an amber corner, while 00-02 have a clear corner)... chrome altezzas look so tacky on these cars

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:52 AM
Kyle lies..95-99 is the best.

1 & 2 are really just what the owner prefers..3 is wise money management. I have my own place, multiple cars, and taking ownership of a chevy pickup next month.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 11:42 AM
98 Cavalier

99 Cavalier

2000 Cavalier

I really have to look close to see any differences there...

I dunno, I just can't dig the pointy corners look and the front of the trunk just isn't doing it for me...why does the Sunfire look so much better with a similarly simple look?

I'm pretty wise with my money...I pretty much save it all. I really just want a beater convertible on the side...

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:07 PM
95-99 is the same. 00 got different lights and bumper. other little things too, but that is the jist of it.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:32 PM
95-02 Share hoods....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:02 PM
my biggest complaint is the space in between the hood and the bumper.
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:01 PM
sndsgood wrote:
agreed, work on paying the car off and looking for the best deals. to many people pay full price just because they can't wait and have to have it. seen it so many times with things like body kits. they pay a huge as price and wont even have the money to paint it. most of the bigger parts ive bought on my car were bought when a great deal came around.

This. I bought my coupe brand new in '04, and I wanted a 2nd car as a DD pretty much as soon as I started modding it. But instead, I focused on paying off the coupe sooner than scheduled instead of juggling the bills of two cars. I paid off my coupe a year early, then waited for a good deal to come around for a DD. Eventually a bought a J sedan from a friend for an unbeatable price. I also get mulitline discounts from my insurance company. so in the end it costs $20 per month more for two cars than it did for one. Very affordable IMO.

And like Vince, be patient and look for deals to come around. Shop smart, whether be a car or parts for the car. When I bought my '04 new, it would have been about $11,700 with tax,tags, etc...I checked out a few dealers til I found what I was looking for and ended up driving it off the lot for about 10k. Parts for our cars can add up quickly, especially if you get into performance parts, but again, buy smart. I could easily just jump on Summit or like sites and order whatever when I decide I want it (and be broke as a result lol), but I choose to wait for a deal to come around. I keep an eye on the classifieds here, ebay, craigslist, see what local guys are selling ,etc, and I almost always find what I'm looking for. Maybe not right when I want it, but eventually. Good example...local guy is selling a RK Sport ram air hood, originally wanted $300, no bites so over about 3 weeks he has dropped the price to $75. Still up for sale...once that hood hits $50 its as good as mine, lol!

As for the 03+ light bar, I just think it's hideous. That was the first thing I changed on mine. I think maybe after 2 weeks of owning the car I went to the junkyard and grabbed a new trunk and tails and swapped them out.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:39 AM
my lip kit is stock off a 02 LSS... you wont find that off any other year cavalier but the 02...

the 00 - 02 has different headlights, bumpers, tail lights, side skirts, fog lights, dashes (radio is on top, hvac is on bottom, where 95-99 is the other way around), 00-02 comes with BCMs, fenders (as we don't have the brackets welded in)

95-02 does share hoods... thats about it...

besides my headlights, hood, trunk, and cf window/door sills, everything on the exterior of my car is stock, and my headlights are only different as they are black housing, my hood is CF with SS scoop, and my trunk is CF.

what i really don't dig about the 03+ is the pointy front and rear ends, the flare on the rear bumper below the outer tail lights (looks to me like it was a last minute change by GM when they threw the 03 together), the light bar, the steering wheel, and the slower ecotec motor.

for the steering wheel, i offer a pic of mine =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:41 AM

Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:33 PM
Speedline (No more) (GME Chat) wrote:my lip kit is stock off a 02 LSS... you wont find that off any other year cavalier but the 02...

the 00 - 02 has different headlights, bumpers, tail lights, side skirts, fog lights, dashes (radio is on top, hvac is on bottom, where 95-99 is the other way around), 00-02 comes with BCMs, fenders (as we don't have the brackets welded in)

95-02 does share hoods... thats about it...

besides my headlights, hood, trunk, and cf window/door sills, everything on the exterior of my car is stock, and my headlights are only different as they are black housing, my hood is CF with SS scoop, and my trunk is CF.

what i really don't dig about the 03+ is the pointy front and rear ends, the flare on the rear bumper below the outer tail lights (looks to me like it was a last minute change by GM when they threw the 03 together), the light bar, the steering wheel, and the slower ecotec motor.
for the steering wheel, i offer a pic of mine =)

seriously? it has ten less hp, such a stupid argument.

here's a pic of the lightbar, sorry it took so long kinda forgot bout this thread.

the c/f bowtie basically blends unless you see it in sunlight and in person. it never shows up in pics.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:15 PM
Another question to add to the list...why do a lot of people put that they have 2003-2005 Z24s? I was pretty sure the Z24 didn't exist in that phase.

I bought the spoiler...I have no idea how to put it on, but at least I have it now. Hopefully just that and rims and my obsession will die down.

I like the cover like that, but I really don't mind the light bar on my car. It looks weird on a red car, though.

I actually have more than enough money to pay off my car right now...I don't know why I don't, since I have to pay full coverage insurance while I'm financing it...then maybe I won't be able to resist the temptation of another car.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:30 PM
Tania nol wrote:Another question to add to the list...why do a lot of people put that they have 2003-2005 Z24s? I was pretty sure the Z24 didn't exist in that phase.

They are the same thing as 03+ LS Sports, but only available in Canada(and a very small amount in the US). Canadians didnt get the LS Sport.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:46 PM
Tinkles wrote:
Tania nol wrote:Another question to add to the list...why do a lot of people put that they have 2003-2005 Z24s? I was pretty sure the Z24 didn't exist in that phase.

They are the same thing as 03+ LS Sports, but only available in Canada(and a very small amount in the US). Canadians didnt get the LS Sport.

Not even legitimately available in the US but I guess a few dealers decided they wanted to call them Z24s

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search