headlight film vs black outs - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
headlight film vs black outs
Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:07 PM
i want black outs but i hate how it kills your lights i was thanking of useing film style black outs but i did now know if thay kill your light and how they hold up

heres the film

and the black outs

i had the black out covers but if the fim last and lets more light thew im going to go with film

Re: headlight film vs black outs
Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:18 PM
there was a company that benham recommended back in the day lamin-x maybe? he said they last instead of just falling right off in the rain and i think they sell a smoked version instead of a total black out. just remember our lights suck to begin with, putting ANY restriction in front of them is only going to make it worse. smoked or black out.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:38 PM
i vote for covers on headlights.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:46 PM
I have Lamin-X on my fogs, I've also put them on a Porsche GT3 RS racecar. works great

Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:55 PM
im going film thanks guys

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:43 AM
i love my lamin-x. get the smoked look, and you save your lights from any scratches and/or yellowing. no more of that stupid rough gunk on the lense that your lights just bake onto them. of course if yours are already messed up (like mine were), then you'll have to get new headlight assemblies and THEN put lamin-x on them. using ebay headlights then getting lamin-x, all-in-all cost me ~$150. most local tint shops will have this stuff, and apply it.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:07 PM
You do realize you can take the covers off at night right? Seems infinitely more convenient. Sure the covers are darker but you are always going to lose output with the film.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:03 AM
I would personally go with covers and not film.........

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:14 AM
Agreed^

Coming from some one who has used the covers, film and nightshades...Go with the covers. They can be taken off easily for nighttime driving.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:09 AM
I have the yellow Lamin-X on mine and I love it. I dont know how much the darker film blocks the light but they have light and dark tint available.

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto, 83 Mazda RX-7
Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:56 AM
how do these covers adhere?

I've always wanted to get a set of the covers for my fire; but ive been afraid of two things:

How they adhere reflecting how they look;
and
Fire headlights have those weird little plastic nipple things on them; y'all know what im talking about. How do those covers accommodate?

Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:49 AM
Alot of the covers I have seen/used have little velcro circles on them, Some actually clip onto the lights themselves.

As far as the plastic nipples, I just clip those off with some cutters and smooth them out (Just out of personal preference). Most covers are made to sit on top of them though.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:59 AM
Mike wrote:Alot of the covers I have seen/used have little velcro circles on them, Some actually clip onto the lights themselves.

As far as the plastic nipples, I just clip those off with some cutters and smooth them out (Just out of personal preference). Most covers are made to sit on top of them though.

awesome! know any of the clip on brands so i can take a look?

Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:18 PM
No idea off hand, Some might not even make them anymore.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:51 AM
Mike wrote:No idea off hand, Some might not even make them anymore.

well that would suck.

I dont want velcro on my lights.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:00 AM
jamie fix wrote:
Fire headlights have those weird little plastic nipple things on them; y'all know what im talking about.

Alot of cars have them, they are what you attach headlight aimers to when a shop aims your headlights.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:56 AM
Black outs FTW, im lookin for a set

Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:14 PM
Tinkles wrote:
jamie fix wrote:
Fire headlights have those weird little plastic nipple things on them; y'all know what im talking about.

Alot of cars have them, they are what you attach headlight aimers to when a shop aims your headlights.

Really?

Huh.
Something new every day i suppose!

i always thought that it was some weird run off or something.

Friday, December 03, 2010 3:24 PM
im getting black outs for my 98, i have black outs on the tail lights and go them off of ebay for $20 shipping included to Canada. there is a site the sells front and back black outs heres the link

head light black outs:
http://www.spiderautomotive.com/smokclearcar.html
cavaliers are under the $54.99 one

tail light black outs:
http://www.spiderautomotive.com/tailblac1.html
cavaliers r under the large tail light section

o and they attach using 3M stickies, u put 3 on ur taillight and its almost like really high adhesive velcro, hard to take off lol but the lightshines through day or night very nicely but can only be seen when illuminated
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search