02 Cavalier, HID, and DRL disable - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
02 Cavalier, HID, and DRL disable
Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:40 PM
Sup ppl I'm new to the forums so please forgive me if this has been posted and replied to elsewhere but here is what I got anyways. I just recently purchased my Volt HID Bi-Xenon 9007 kit from Steve at KBCarstuff.com. I have done everything as posted in the DRL disable Sticky for my Cavy year and good, no more DRLs. The thing is now when I hook up the kit only the high beams will work. When I flick the lever to dim, the lights go off instead of to dim. When I flick it back it goes to brights and I have the bright light indicator in my dash. I have tried swapping the pins from the HID bulb into the factory harness and I haven't gotten anywhere other than popping a couple of fuses. From what I have read on schematics for my factory headlight harness this is what I got.

Driver Side Passenger Side
Factory Harness Volt HID Harness Factory Harness Volt HID Harness
Pink Wire- High beams Blue Wire- High Beams Pink Wire- High beams Bue Wire- High beams
Blue Wire- Low Beams White Wire- Low Beams Blue Wire- Low beams White Wire- Low beams
(Other, Same Color)Blue Wire- Ground??? Black Wire- Ground Orange Wire- Ground?? Black Wire- Ground

If you have any suggestions feel free cuz I just spent like 3-4 hours on it today and still nothing.

Re: 02 Cavalier, HID, and DRL disable
Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:50 AM
Sorry that looked a little messy. I meant for it to look like this.

Driver Side Factory Harness
Pink Wire- High beams
Bue Wire- Low beams
(Other, Same Color)Blue Wire- Ground???

Driver Side Volt HID Harness
Blue Wire- High Beams
White Wire- Low Beams
Black Wire- Ground

Passenger Side Factory Harness
Blue Wire- Low Beams
Pink Wire- High beams
Orange Wire- Ground??

Passenger Side Volt HID Harness
White Wire- Low beams
Blue Wire- High beams
Black Wire- Ground

I'm thinking it is a ground problem so I'm going to run a ground wire straight to the battery from the HID kit and see if it works then. I have the DRLs grounded inside the car but on the ECM like posted in the DRL Disable Sticky. Thinking I might not have a good ground.

I'll keep you posted
Friday, November 05, 2010 2:41 PM
OK that didn't work either. On the VOLT HID Kit harness the white wire (supposed to be lows they told me) has power so on low setting the lights work, but once I flick to high to lights go off. And this is where now the Blue Wire on Volt Hid harness (supposed to be highs) should have power and the bright lights should come on, but they don't. If I swap the white wire from the lows to the highs then the highs come on. Am I missing something here? Any help and trust me I mean any help is much appreciated.
Saturday, November 06, 2010 2:51 PM
When I disabled my DRL's the DRL indicator light flickered a lot on the dash due to a bad crimp on the ground wire.

Your headlight plug pinout on the relay harness should be (If you're looking at it from the backside and the LOCKING TAB is facing upward) This is the correct way for 9007's.

------- BROWN --------
BLUE ---------- WHITE

Sunday, November 07, 2010 1:32 PM
Yep exactly like I have it hooked up. Before I post this picture I want to make no claims that I in no way know anything about these lights other than they were supposed to be a bi-xenon kit and I don't think those were the lights I received. Here is the picture of the kit I received and after looking into it further I think it is a hi/lo kit and not the bi-xenon I ordered.
Sunday, November 07, 2010 5:02 PM
That looks like a Bixenon bulb to me. Does it have two wires, plus a small two-pin connector? If you don't have that two pin connector you'll never get both high/lowbeams. That's what controls the magnet in the 9007 bixenons.

Sunday, November 07, 2010 5:33 PM
Yea I have that as you can see in the picture below. But if I hook it up like you have said which I agree is and should be the correct way, I get a high beam failure light in my cluster. I am truly at a loss on this. I contacted Steve at XenonDepot and he is supposed to get back to me tomorrow so we'll see what he has to say.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:58 PM
Update: 11/15/10

I have spoken to Steve and their kit doesn't ship ready to go for my 02 cavalier. Since our cars negatively switch on the headlights I need another part to make them work correctly. Steve was no problem to deal with and the pieces I need are in transit as we speak free of charge of course. So if anyone plans on ordering from Steve at KBCarstuff.com please tell them you need the extra piece since your car uses negative switching.

Thanks Logikfive for all your help. By the way where did you get your projectors and how easy were they to install?? What modifications were needed if any??

Thanks again.

Joel
Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:56 PM
Sorry for the late reply, didn't see your reply till just now.

My projectors are Morimoto mini H1's from Theretrofitsource.com, the actual projector retrofit took only about an hour a side, the paint work and sealing put them at about two hours a side. Not really bad considering the improvement. Only modification I had to do was cut out the headlight. Other than that, plug and play.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search