Primer Help - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Primer Help
Monday, May 11, 2009 9:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm painting a new front bumper for my 2000 cav and I'm wondering what color primer should i use the car is red, the type of red aludes me at this time but its the standard chevy color. Thanks for the help.

Re: Primer Help
Monday, May 11, 2009 12:46 PM
gray would be fine....and if it's a stock bumper (or any bumper that is plastic/urethane), either use an epoxy primer or add an adhesion promotor to your mix ratio or that paint job will be flaking off in no time.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:42 AM
thanks man i really appreciate it
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:41 PM
incorrect..................................................

if a bumper is repaired we use the standard grey primer, in ppgs line a adheshion promoter can be used for extra bite, but thats using ncp 271, every other product i have used is regular primer no need for adheshion promoter at all

now the only time ya need adheshion promoter is if the bumper is raw plastic, unpainted plastic thats the only time, and you do not mix it in the base coat or sealer or clear it is its own product, and there are steps to take before adheshion promoter is applied as well, but you say this is a new bumper and they are primed already

scuff it with a red scuff pad, prep it, seal it, base then clear, now flex agent is only needed for us tech for flexing for the install,other then that it evaporates after 6 months, so i never use it, base and clear is flexable, one more thing........just becasue youo see a piece of plastic it is not always polyurathene, the bumpers on these cars should be either TPO OR TPE, there is also TPP,PP,ABS, TEO, polyrathene plastic most of the times is yellow
or if unsure look inside the plastic for the ISO code and you will see what kind it is

and yes for reds grey sealer is used not primer we dont tint primer

can i haz bondo
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:37 AM
u can use primer or sealer.sealer is ideal if your not gonna paint it for months or somethin. mainly because is u primed a car after a few months it can still soak up moisture .plus u would need to re primer when time came to paint.where as after a few months with sealer, u would just have to scuff it up.but grey primer is good.

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search