Sunroof Install - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunroof Install
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:16 AM
Im picking up an entire roof off of Viperredzed today with EVERYTHING i will need to do a sunroof install on my cav.

that includes the drainage, headliner, all wiring and of course the sunroof.

Im going to use the roof he is giving me as my template to cut mine out.

My question is, has anyone attempted this?

is it worth the effort or am i better off not doing it?

Ive always wanted a sunroof and if done right, it will look like stock but be better than what i had... which was no sunroof.

Any input would be appreciated as to what you have done or anything you may recommend i do/ do not do

Re: Sunroof Install
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:33 AM
I had one professionally put in locally for $250 but it's a manual one.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:01 PM
you CANNOT install an OEM sunroof in our cars without having the roof skinned and painted with a roof made for sunroof. you cannot just simply cut a hole and set it in. its not that simple. our sunroofs have a flange that goes down towards the inside of the car. youd be better off with the roof skin.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:41 PM
If you have the whole roof then just replace the roof.

By the way. How much did everything cost?

http://nwgme.org
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:53 AM
I got the WHOLE roof off greg for a good price.

so I could do the whole skin, but i have heard that some of you on the org HAVE cut a whole for the OEM sunroof and it fit fine.

I was also talking to greg and it seems that those people who didnt put in the drainage tubes were the ones who had the most issues with leaking.

Now on to the skin.

I have the entire roof, cut from the a and c pillars.

Do i have to take all my windows out to weld in a new roof or can i do it another way?

I have tinted windows and am afraid that if i take the windows out i may ruin the tint...

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:45 AM
I'de just cut a big ass hole and put in a sliding rag top...but thats just me

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:03 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but i have a sunroof and not a rag top. If it was the other way around then id install that for sure over a sunroof lol

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:00 AM
you would have to have a PROFESIONAL remove your windshield. rear window. quarter glass, and the quarter glass moldings for you to even attempt this. next you would have to get an 1/8 inch drillbit and start drilling out ALL the spotwelds. once done. you take a spotweld cutter and start SLOWLY cutting whats left of them to seperate the roof skin from the frame underneath. you then have to take down the headliner and cut the small sections of foam type seam sealer out to finally remove the skin. you will then probably have to transfer a couple of the support braces over from the roof with the sunroof and then weld those back in. once done with the brace transfer you will need to set the new skin on the roof and with some vice grips to hold it down begin lining it up. you will be able to close your doors and move the skin around to make the gaps nice. you should use NOOOOO body filler on any of the spotwelds. being your car is black you should get an almost perfect paint match when the roof gets painted as black is the absolute easiest color to match. we dont even blend it at our shop. after that. just have your windows put back in and assemble the sunroof and wire it up and you should be good to go. its not really that horribly hard. its just time consuming and you need to know what you are doing. the window removal should cost you about 150 as well as installation would be another 150 and then after welding the skin back in the paint and bodywork would probably border the 1000 dollar range. so youd prolly be looking at no more than 1500 bucks if you do the skin installation yourself.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:16 AM
It is definitely not an easy job. If you have never done it before I wouldn't suggest it. It's a lot more complex then replacing a quarter panel. Roofs can be a pain in the ass.

Not sure about prices where your at to have a professional. For someone to remove a windshield it is about 150 per window. And they can't guarantee if it breaks. Then its another 150 per window to install it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:20 AM

Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:02 AM
our guy charges 50 per window here. so it all depends i guess. but yeah. they cannot garuntee it wont break

Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:53 AM
Eternal (LuxuryTax) wrote:I had one professionally put in locally for $250 but it's a manual one.

I was thinking of doing this maybe. Do you have any pictures of how it looks? Open, closed, with the glass removed? Thanks

Monday, May 18, 2009 6:21 AM
Matt Burgess wrote:
Eternal (LuxuryTax) wrote:I had one professionally put in locally for $250 but it's a manual one.

I was thinking of doing this maybe. Do you have any pictures of how it looks? Open, closed, with the glass removed? Thanks

Pics from Jan 2008
Thats how it looks from the inside and ... I'm gonna have to go out and take a few pics of it removed and opened fully. I barely have it cracked in these pics

Monday, May 18, 2009 6:53 AM
Here.. I just got some cell pics of the roof removed.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:41 AM
See i like that option, its the same i had in my talon,

I may have to go that route, or i may just elave it as is...

But good lookin car eternal.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:01 AM
Thanks man. Its my po mans alternative to a T-Top lol. Also, its been going on 2 years and I have encountered no leaking issues

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:20 AM
Eternal: So is that holding up pretty good? Any sign of leaks? Also if you have more pictures of it feel free to post them

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:19 AM
Bhirst wrote:Eternal: So is that holding up pretty good? Any sign of leaks? Also if you have more pictures of it feel free to post them

Its holding up just like the day I got it put in. I'm 100% satisfied in terms of quality and longevity. Its been going on 2 years and I never had any leaking issues. Even if it does leak, all I would have to do to fix it is replace the rubber gasket that keeps the water out. The gasket has these ridges that kinda look like "/\/\" up close that the glass hugs on it keep water out if that makes sense. Its made out of very durable rubber.

I plan on washing the car today so if I do, I'll post more recent pics of the car with detailed pics of the construction of the sunroof for everyone who may be interested.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:07 PM
I just might have to buy one then. I'm already repainting the car so whats another couple hours or work for a sunroof

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:17 PM
Looks good External.. I wonder if they could of went with a little bit bigger one. Still not bad for $250

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:25 PM
My SFC sunroof was installed at the dealership when it was new and it still doesn't leak, I love it...

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:04 PM
Webasto sunroof FTW i love mine. 8 years now, no leaks. i love having one touch power open and close! mine was installed at the dealer and i absolutely love mine. its wired into the ignition so when i turn the car off it automatically closes itself. i can also stop it wherever i choose too. one hell of a sunroof.
vid
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/Vink70_99/?action=view¤t=Picture069.flv
pic...

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:24 PM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:My SFC sunroof was installed at the dealership when it was new and it still doesn't leak, I love it...

Mine is exactly like yours. Same make and model. SFC makes a good sunroof

Vincent has the baller sunroof.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:06 PM
Hell just get this. http://www.offroaders.com/tnt/6.htm Better then a sunroof. Guaranteed to not leak!!!!

But yea I am still debating on an aftermarket sunroof. I really want one however I don't want to have to deal with leaks. I know I can seal the edges where it is cut perfect but can't guarantee the seal when its closed.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:58 AM
Bhirst wrote:Hell just get this. http://www.offroaders.com/tnt/6.htm Better then a sunroof. Guaranteed to not leak!!!!

But yea I am still debating on an aftermarket sunroof. I really want one however I don't want to have to deal with leaks. I know I can seal the edges where it is cut perfect but can't guarantee the seal when its closed.

I'd use that to up the value when it is time to trade a car in. It will up the value a bit LMFAO

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search