Convertible top - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible top
Sunday, February 08, 2009 3:45 PM
I have recently found a convetible top at the local pick n pull for $50. it is in a lot better shape than mine. How hard would it be to remove the entire top and install it in my car?

Re: Convertible top
Sunday, February 08, 2009 4:03 PM
you need just the top ? for 50 get a new one on ebay

Sunday, February 08, 2009 4:33 PM
Lol the ones I always see on ebay for $50 are all second gen or 98 and up...I have a 96 and never see those cheap.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 5:19 PM
96 and 98 up should interchange haha

Sunday, February 08, 2009 5:52 PM
thats what i thought, but i wasn't sure. my sis is getting a 96 vert next week(needs some real work), and a new top is first on the list(with new brakes/lines, and tires, haha)
Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:30 PM
Changing the top is quite a job. Switch to the Third Gen forum and take a look at the sticky at the top for the Convertible supplement. That should give you the necessary insight. - Mark

Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:47 PM
jnickel wrote:96 and 98 up should interchange haha

actually they done ... not exactly... the design of have the top is is actually totaly different

Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:49 PM
i ment to say they dont

Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:59 PM
heres and example

Sunday, February 08, 2009 9:37 PM
I read the PDF in the sticky. It was very helpful. I think I am going to try to unbolt the entire top, frame and all, from the one in the yard and attempt to bolt it into mine.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 9:44 PM
taking it apart isn't the hard part.. its putting it back together .. make sure you get all the glues/ adhesives. and also an upholstery staple gun. iv pulled half my top back twice already, after the second time is when i got to the point where i just said forget it. ill replace the whole top myself. make sure get some zip-locks for the screws because there's gonna be alot of them. also you need a star tool socket for most of the top frame.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 9:46 PM
Ok thanks for the info. Im tired of having swamp in the trunk lol.

Monday, February 09, 2009 2:27 AM
removing the top isnt that bad at all. everything is very straight-forward and simple. reinstallation is a tough task, thats for sure, and youll need an extra set of hands for alignment, but its do-able for sure.

Monday, February 09, 2009 7:58 AM
If you have the time and the price is right, be sure and grab the electric top motors out ot the donor car. These are very spendy to replace and it's good to have a pair of them on the shelf. (Bring a small child or elf with you to the junkyard to help you reach the bolts.) There's an eBay vendor that rebuilds them with a lifetime warranty for $100 a pair (last time I saw his ad). In fact, there are lots of proprietary parts on the 'verts that you should consider like the doors (at least the window glass and regulators, mirrors and such), the trunk hinges and gas supports, and the top handle and switch. In fact, If I found a complete parts car cheap, it would be in my back yard. (Well, maybe not. I'd have to clear it with my wife. But I'd put up a strong argument.) - Mark

Monday, February 09, 2009 11:37 AM
Yes i defrinitely want to get as many parts from it as i can afford.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:27 PM
way to make me look like an ass....lol

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:13 PM
I have a 98+ top on my 95 so it works, just pay the $350 that the shop will charge to install it. Thats all i paid.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:34 PM
Hmmm thanks for that info. For some reason the 98+ are cheaper.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 4:08 AM
Well for one the 98+ is one piece versus three pieces sewn together. That could be part of the price.

I would say be prepaired to replace the rear tack plastic that attaches the top to the trunk. When I did mine, it just fell apart. It was broke from the get go but still.

Its an easy job to do but its quite tedious!

I say just suck it up and get a new one, don't mess with a junkyard unit. For the werk you are gonna go thru, to take it off, its just not werth it. Cause you know its not going to last nearly as long as a new one.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:30 PM
You have a good point. I also already know i will need to replace the tack plastic lol. The top is coming off at the corners causing most of my leaking issues. Thanks for the heads up tho.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:48 PM
Like I said its not hard, but its something you only want to have to do once. I speak from experience!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search