Spoiler question - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spoiler question
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:33 PM
Today i picked up a spoiler from an 03 LS sport at the yard. I have a base 04 cavy and i kinda dont wanna drill holes in my trunk. I took off the studs from spoiler and seriously thinking of going with two way tape or some sort of industrial adhesive. Would anyone recommended it or should i just drill the holes?

Re: Spoiler question
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:35 PM
Drill the holes. A new trunk is only $30 from the u-pull it yards.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

kind of like a screwed up kids sing along

pete the anal monkey lived in my bum..............

best epiosode of barney ever lol

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:04 PM
Since you've already taken off the studs, guess you have to try something. There is a special moulding tape (looks like double sided, rubber, maybe 1/16" thick) that is sold at auto supply stores (usually in a roll 1/2 inch wide). 3M is one company that makes it. It's used to hold emblems and body side moulding on. It's very sticky and holds really well, but there are a couple of things you need to determine before you try.

1. How much surface is available on the spoiler to apply the tape? You're going to need a lot of it and probably at least an inch wide around the whole perimeter and wherever in between you can find.
2. The spoiler and trunk lid must fit very tightly together so the tape isn't required to close any gaps too. (Trust me. As soon as the sun shines on it, the parts will separate if they don't fit tightly on their own.)
3. The surfaces must be totally clean and dry before you apply.
4. If you get the tape applied to the spoiler, you have one chance to get it set on the trunk correctly, so you must mark and align everything well and be careful. Once mounted, you'll have to evenly apply pressure to ensure full contact.

Even if you get it mounted, expect that it won't last indefinitely. The spoiler is a large and heavy item, above and beyond the call of duty for most adhesives and you can't use anything rigid (like JB Weld) as it will ultimately break loose due to the flexing of the trunk lid. Also, this tape softens a bit when hot. On the up side, this means you can get it off with the help of a hair dryer. On the down side, it won't likely work well on a black car located in southern Arizona.

I agree you should drill the holes (if the studs aren't ruined and will go back in) or go back for the trunk lid you got the spoiler off of. Good luck. - Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:08 PM

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:06 PM
put rthe studs back in and drill the holes.set it where it looks good and mark where the studs hit

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:13 PM
or jsut do a trunk swap and rear tail light swap too.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:54 PM
Personally, I think that the tape may be a bad idea. The wind might be able to pull the spoiler off when driving at highway speeds, and that isn't good for the person behind you.

Jim
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:06 PM
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:15 PM
I was looking for that same video.

Seriously, the bolts are there for a reason. I have 3 holes in my trunklid from where i screwed up drilling, but they are under the spoiler(cant be seen) and i used silicone to seal the spoiler to the trunk.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:17 PM
i did the sam on my cougar 3 extra bholes but ya under the spoiler and the spoiler is ealed here also so who carwes so m long as u can't see them

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:17 PM
damn i can't type and i know someone will edit that and put it in the damn undertones theread now

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:20 PM
Zenith wrote:Tape is bad.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/This-Eclipse-was-at-Mach_32359.htm

That would scare the living sh!t outta me if I saw a huge fiberglass spoiler coming my way.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:23 PM
97probe wrote:Personally, I think that the tape may be a bad idea. The wind might be able to pull the spoiler off when driving at highway speeds, and that isn't good for the person behind you.

that

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:28 PM
In retrospect, I have to agree with the others that the tape is a bad idea. I shouldn't have even suggested it. It's way to big a piece to not have bolted on.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:29 PM
ahh i guess ill charge up the drill.
Thursday, February 05, 2009 5:15 AM
can you have pics on how your aligning and marking and drilling? I am thinking about adding a spoiler to my car but do not want extra holes.

03 cavalier
us amps 100hc running at .5 ohms
digital designs 3512
yellow top g34
kenwood ddx-8019
Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:20 AM
get a piece of poster board and make a template with it. You might be able to use rubber washers to seal around the bolt holes, like the rubber washers used on oil drain plugs.
Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:33 AM
There is a "lip" on the base of the spoiler that GM has a gasket attached to. A nice bead of of silicone on it will do the trick.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:13 PM
I'll sell you my trunk with factory holes...

Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:27 PM
I took a nail and use it to mark spots on the paint.
I also took a roll of kite string to measure the distance between holes. Lastly I marked the lines with a ruler and marker, then checked all the angles were equal with a protractor. Kind of unnecessary but I wanted to make sure it was done right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search