Gunk of Rims - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gunk of Rims
Friday, November 14, 2008 6:26 PM
During the summer I noticed one rim had a rough surface on it and I originally thought that for some odd reason - vandalism or otherwise, the finished layer was coming off. So I took my rims off my car and put the winter ones on today and I was able to further inspect them. I decided to really check that the finished layer was coming off so using some good old spit and my finger I was actually able to get some of it off (very small bit) and the smooth finished layer is underneath. I can't tell what it is - I washed the rim today in water and car soap and it didn't come off. I'm thinking some form of sugar from a soda drink or something - but who knows. Is there any sort of chemical or something I can use without ruining the rim? If it matters they are Konig Unknowns.

Im sure this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find any results in the search - maybe this is more of a maintenace question than an exterior one...

Re: Gunk of Rims
Friday, November 14, 2008 8:03 PM
so...paint is chipping off your rim??

Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:50 AM
use a chrome or metal polish
Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:02 AM
no no paint isnt chipping off. its like some super thick sugar stuff...water and soap didnt touch it...
Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:32 PM
Anyways, thanks for the help but before I went out to buy some metal/chrome cleaner I decided to try a few things I had lying around. I used this ArmorAll rim cleaner stuff...it didn't work amazngly but after washing it like 7-8 times with some good elbow grease I managed to get most of it off. Thanks a lot guys.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search