input on handling rust... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
input on handling rust...
Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:44 AM
OK, I'm looking for some input from people with lots of experience. I have a lot of auto body experience, but I've been out of the loop a bit for years, so I'm looking for recommendations for handling rust before paint.

I just have a good amount of surface rust, heavier spots in the typical crevices in the engine bay, but nothing structural. I'm stripping, sanding, grinding, and blasting to get rid of it as good as I can, but nothing's perfect, so I want to treat it before I lay some primer/sealer over it. I'm leaning toward Eastwood's rust converter, but I want to hear from people who have tried different products, and how they have worked out.

Re: input on handling rust...
Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:49 AM
The only 2 things i would do is cut and weld in new metal or POR-15.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:39 AM
Bagged Base Coupe (Tinkles) wrote:The only 2 things i would do is cut and weld in new metal or POR-15.

same here. Cody can probably comment on the POR-15 better, but this is the easiest option.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:10 AM
Ospho

My dad has used it for literally decades with great results and a gallon is only about $30.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:21 PM
Bagged Base Coupe (Tinkles) wrote:The only 2 things i would do is cut and weld in new metal or POR-15.

There is nothing bad enough to even consider welding. Just to put into perspective, I can pretty much sand all of it off with nothing heavier than 320, and have a smooth surface. There are only a couple of spots that are really going to require sandblasting, and that's just because I can't really get anything in there to sand or grind effectively. My only concern here is that I want to make sure the surface rust is 100% gone, so that I don't have it festering under the sealer. I have no structural issues. It's all surface.

I know of POR-15, but I was just wondering what other products, and/or what personal experience people had with various products.

Thanks for the input guys.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:32 PM
por-15 is a great product, from my experiance in the aviation world, any good acid etch primer/sealer should do the trick effectively enough.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 12:14 PM
i would just use sone 80 on the da sand it all off. put a light skin of icing down . use a good sealer and re shoot the whole panel.

PJ
Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:49 PM
^^^^^^only if the surface rust caused pitting, but it has to be completely removed or it will come back faster and worse
i just use a rattle can of ppgs etch primer,, on a rare occassion i sandblast, i use a roloc disc kinda looks like a black rice cripsy treat lol
if iam doing patch panles, i etch prime both pieces of metal, or i use 3m`s new weld through primer
everyone has there own methods for rust

can i haz bondo
Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:06 AM
At my shop for stuff like that we hand sand it off then use metal cleaner and metal conditioner with scotch pad.

http://nwgme.org
Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:44 PM
if it is mostly surface rust use CLR and steel wool works great and then prep and paint make sure you get the CLR off with a before prep cleaner...
Monday, August 11, 2008 2:26 PM
I can vouch for POR-15 in a rusted motorcycle gas tank, good stuff.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search