Problem with my CF Hood - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with my CF Hood
Friday, July 18, 2008 5:02 PM
Ok. so last year i got my CF hood. It was really oxidized but i took care of that with a buff. but. while i was at wyotech i drove home alot (700 miles one way) and i put a bra on my hood to keep the rock chips down. well. after realizing it left an oxidized haze i couldnt get rid of with polish. i decided to clear the hood. so. i wet sanded the whole hood down and checked and THOUGHT i got it out. so i proceeded to clear my hood. that turned out great. about a day later that stupid haze showed up again. and now. its under the clear.so. does ANYBODY know how to get rid of that damn haze. theres a spot in the center of my hood also that it looks like somebody set something on it. looks identicle to the haze from the bra.just a perfect circle. here is a pik. PLEASE let me know if theres anything i can do. thanks guys.

Re: Problem with my CF Hood
Friday, July 18, 2008 5:16 PM
find a way to paint over it, match the hood to the car, or do some sort of detail paint over it. unless you go down through the clear and into the hazy area again it will stay there...

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:18 PM
wouldn't a reclear work?

WiGM-Tuners member.
Friday, July 18, 2008 8:08 PM
nope. thats why i cleared it already. was to get rid of the haze. now its UNDER the clear. i dont know WHAT it is. but i have heard something about bras and carbon hoods and it not being good. so . thats why i came on here for opininons.

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:20 PM
ive seen some cf hoods around here and only about a year old they look like s**t(had horrible factory clear jobs). by that id say just having the bra on covering that spot the rest has faded enought to cause what would apear as a haze thats why is came back so quick. it appears not that the clear hazed more like the cf faded. the reclear u did just sealed it not much to do other than paint. thats why if u look its not a line it accually has the complete outline of the bra even the tubes are marked form the deflectors on top. i say just faded carbon fiber.

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:31 PM
so how do i fix this.anything. if i did a candy blue over this hood would i be able to see the haze still?

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:32 PM
that seems possible, but what about the identical circle on the hood, thats what makes that seem wrong

03 Sunfire - Sold.
Friday, July 18, 2008 9:04 PM
its obvious what happened... the bra rubbed into the resin.

only way to fix that is to attempt to get down to the level it rubbed into and sand it all out, unfortunately your going to loose all the clear you had sprayed on it. you will have to start all over again.

on a side note if its the full true CF fiber images hood (the bottom will be full cf as well as the top) i will trade you straight up for my vis, all you gotta do is come and do the swap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 18, 2008 9:09 PM

Friday, July 18, 2008 9:12 PM
So that's why I got the pm.... lol jp man

Friday, July 18, 2008 9:27 PM
biggest broblem is its not a clear COAT, its a GEL COAT. if you cleared over it when it was new, the you could sand down and re clear. but gel coat does not like to be sanded on and cleared back up....

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:50 PM
ZYaaaaa- it IS the Fiber Images CF hood with the CF Shell also. hehe but hey. your to far to get to. lol. or i would swap you in a heartbeat so i dont have to mess with this lol. its just a damn shame your 2 states away. lol. oh well.

anyways. It DOES have a clear coat on it right now. before i cleared it i sanded the WHOLE hood with 600 Grit and i THOUGHT i made sure all the @!#$ was out. when i went over it with reducer (it simulates a clear coat) it looked great. but like i said. it came back within a day. and kinda sucks. cause now im thinking im gonna have to go back and sand down my clear. which sucks bad. but i really want to save this hood because of its rarity with the CF shell and whatnot. so we shall see what happens.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:21 PM
so this is the other other one of two FULL cf fiber images hoods?? i know you said it, i just cant believe it!

i want proof if im going to somehow figure a way to swap our hoods... pics will be fine

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:01 PM
I'm with Wayne.. it sounds like the carbon weave is faded, rather than the top coat bein damaged

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:49 AM
Go over ti with a blue cnady like you said Josh, it should lookk good enough you dont notice it, hopefully.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search