TWO tone (what type of paint) - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TWO tone (what type of paint)
Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:13 AM
Hi, I have some little question for paint pro. I want to do a two tone paint on my car, but i don't know what
type of paint i must use.
I want to know what type of paint is more simple to spray , cheaper, etc...
-Acrylic Enamel
-Acrylic Urethane
-Acrylic Lacquer
I just dont know

Thanks ALOT!

Re: TWO tone (what type of paint)
Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:30 AM
spray paint

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:13 AM
hey i want a good job done not spray can paint!
Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:15 AM
V2steel ! wrote: hey i want a good job done not spray can paint!

are you spraying it? if so, i can safely say it wont be a good job

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 2:44 PM
simple and cheap doesn't sound like a good paint

Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:39 PM
If you find yourself asking these questions, then you will probably do just as good of a job with a spray can.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:48 PM
you guys are absolutely amazing , he asks a simple question , and u guys tear him down with out even offering any advice, everyones got to start out somewhere just answer the @!#$in question or nothing anything at all , you guys put yourselves on platforms , because " i paid $6000 for my custom paint job" .not everyone can afford to put $30,000 into a car , if he could, he most certainly wouldnt be driving a cavalier!

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:42 PM
I prefer lacquer it just sprays so nice and crisp but i got a hook so price wise i duno what it runs. and I agree with A La Mode give advice not criticism alone, and not everyone can throw money at their problem . call your local body supply shop and if their is a real car guy there im sure he'd be glad to give you prices and his opinion also. Good luck man!
Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:33 PM
for ur paint i would just go to ur local oreillys and buy the paint from them....i got some from them about a year a ago it cost me about $400 for everything and it went on easy. just take ur time when u are doing ur prep work

Monday, July 07, 2008 3:10 AM
Darkcat2200 wrote:I prefer lacquer it just sprays so nice and crisp but i got a hook so price wise i duno what it runs. and I agree with A La Mode give advice not criticism alone, and not everyone can throw money at their problem . call your local body supply shop and if their is a real car guy there im sure he'd be glad to give you prices and his opinion also. Good luck man!

lacquer... as in the old school lacquer paints they used before they came out with the newer paints, are actually now illegal to use in many areas and are "environmentally unsafe".

Monday, July 07, 2008 6:34 AM
Thank you now this is good answer, yes i know that a paint cost alot but i dont want to pay 2000-3000 $$$$$, thats why i do a two tone.
The local body shop is a Fix auto and thats my uncle shop, so i will buy the paint and the pro will do the job and at the same time i will check out, how he paint it. My father told me that acryclic enamel is a mix and spray, so no clear coat and cheap

Monday, July 07, 2008 6:39 AM
V2steel ! wrote:Thank you now this is good answer, yes i know that a paint cost alot but i dont want to pay 2000-3000 $$$$$, thats why i do a two tone.
The local body shop is a Fix auto and thats my uncle shop, so i will buy the paint and the pro will do the job and at the same time i will check out, how he paint it. My father told me that acryclic enamel is a mix and spray, so no clear coat and cheap

If your uncle is spraying i would ask him what he perfers. Most people don't like the single stage paint that you don't have to clear

Monday, July 07, 2008 6:45 AM
Acrylic enamel is a single stage, and usually it is cheaper. If you're only buying the materials it should come out pretty cheap. I think I had around $430 in all of my paint and materials (PPG base/clear).

Monday, July 07, 2008 2:18 PM
V2steel ! wrote:no clear coat and cheap

You're not going to be happy with the results...

Monday, July 07, 2008 3:29 PM
V2steel ! wrote:Thank you now this is good answer, yes i know that a paint cost alot but i dont want to pay 2000-3000 $$$$$, thats why i do a two tone.

single stage is good for a short term fix... but if you want a more "fancy" two tone paint job, (by fancy I mean not just a normal single stock color spray) you would want a base/clear coat. Clear protects your base coat, will last longer, and look better. Honestly, getting good quality base and clear coat materials is NOT going to be much more expensive than a single stage paint... you're not going to save THAT much money to make it worth it at all.

I wanted to do a Candee/Kandy paint job on my sunfire when I had it, using X-otic paints (like House of Kolor for those who don't know). The base metallic coat, the Candee paint, clear, additives, etc, were only going to run me a little over $700.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:00 AM
I will maybe buy my paint on ebay, from kustom shop this a good compagnie because i already buy a airbrush there. They have alot of choice of color and the price are really good. So what do you think ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Choice-of-Color-ACRYLIC-ENAMEL-Car-Auto-Paint-Kt-69-95_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63702QQihZ012QQitemZ220253986314QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW ) 4 types of paints
Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:30 PM
Lacquer?? really? they still make that? If they do, stay away from it. You really should just go to ppg or dupont. If you have any cats around and you're not parking in a garage, you should seriously go with 2 stage or it won't last long at all. (trust me)

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:54 AM
i've seen omni paint laid multiple times, was really impressed with the results of it.... cheap paint but not cheap quality. i got a price quote for my car and all in all was gonna be like 300 bucks for everything. i prefer base coat clear coat over single stage.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:45 PM
Or you could get the ppg base and an omni clear. It's not the best clear around but it does it's job if your looking for a little bit of a cheaper option. But paint is one thing you never want to cheap out on. I have seen way too many people take that route and regret it within a year.

http://nwgme.org
Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:18 PM
Wow where are people pricing their paints? i just bought 1 qt of HOK shimrin tangerine kandy paint for a lil over $60 and 1qt 2k clear coat plus a half pint of hardener and a 1/2 pint of urethane flow enhancer for a lil over $50 from kustom shop total wasn't even over $117 including shipping to my house and HOK isn't cheap. plus 1 qt basecoat usually mixes up to make 2 qt's sprayable which should be plenty. getting ready to spray my bike. I know paint jobs cost alot if you pay someone to do it but thats all the labor and expertise that goes into it.

Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:43 PM
if your having a pro do it, ahve the pro pick out the paint.........

and cavalier [ala mode] grow up. its the internet, if you can't take some ribbing go back to playing with matchbox.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:20 PM
if you want it cheap and your doing it your self check out my post on www.rolledon.com mines not perfect or finished yet but its on the way to being complete only prob with this paint is your limited to colors unless you mix your own

i know the website is titled ROLLEDon.com but you can also spray the paint

my 2cents working wonders for me, you should of seen my car before lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search