Picture Request: Inside Front Drivers Fender Between Door - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Picture Request: Inside Front Drivers Fender Between Door
Saturday, February 09, 2008 2:51 PM
A while ago I think when my car was driven up onto a lift at the suspension shop getting a wheel alignment I think my front drivers side fender got shifted slightly. The fender is in perfect alignment and the gaps with the hood and door are fine.

The problem is that light grey plastic piece that is on the backside(towards rear of car) of the fender where the door hinges are is shifted or got poped out of place. It rubs on my door anytime I open my door but not when I close my door, it makes a popping sound and you can see the fender flex slightly.

The piece that I'm talking about it when you open up your drivers side door and look down toward your bottom hinge the light grey piece that seems to be removeable. With the door wide open I can get my fingers in between the door and fender and try and push it back into place or to move it but it wont budge.

Can someone get me a picture on how this looks on there car? If the piece on my car is messed up how do I replace it? Do I need to remove the fender to get at it? I dont think I can get at it from underneith or from the front fender well. If people dont know what I'm talking about I can snap my own picture for referance.

Regards,

Re: Picture Request: Inside Front Drivers Fender Between Door
Saturday, February 09, 2008 6:58 PM
Its just a second splash shield, It is accessed by removing the inner fender liner. I doubt that the muffler shop did it, sounds like the door was swung open and it has a smaller fender gap than before. Look to see if your fender gaps are the same from side to side.

If not , to move the door back, open the door, get a socket (ratchet socket) maybe a 3/4 inch one will work fine. place it in the hinge area between the door hinge and the pillar hinge, close the door slightly to hold it in, then try to close the door a little bit. dont force it alot ,, just a little at a time. Since you did that hinge you will notice that the door no longer fits in the hole, now you have to do the same to the bottom/ other hinge. This procedure will reverse the bent forward hinges.
Believe me this works wonders, I often get cars with that same issue, mostly women drivers that park on a hill and swing their doors open, others are cheap people that dont want to pay to change worn out hinges , so I bend them up so they dont drag on the latch.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Re: Picture Request: Inside Front Drivers Fender Between Door
Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:59 AM
Joe,

Thanks for the reply. It is a problem with the second splash shield (that little grey piece), it's popped out of place and rubbing against the door edge. My door gap is fine and the door doesnt rub when opening/closing against the fender. It rubs up against that splash shield piece b/c it's poped out of it's spot. I didnt know there was a inner fender piece on the door side that could be removed. I guess I'll have to wait until spring to remove the tire and the rear inner fender of the front wheel to fix that peice or get a new one. I'm just glad that I dont have to remove the fender to get at it.

I'll post up a picture this afternoon if it warms up a little outside today.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search