What to powdercoat today, My new hobby - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What to powdercoat today, My new hobby
Friday, February 08, 2008 7:46 AM
So back in November, I took up powdercoating. I started with some metal things I had laying around and then started to Do a few things on my car. I really like the finish I get now....It took a lil while to ge the hang of it but I'm starting to get pretty good, haha. My friends are bringin me some of there car parts to start coating. I have spent a good $2000 on supplies to have everything I need, but It's definetly a fun hobby. I got the idea, when I wanted some parts PC fro my car, and the guy quoted me aninsane price so decided to learn to do it myself. Imma Post up some pics of the things I started powdercoating On my car. Anyone else on here try powdercoating?

My first few items didnt turn out so good, but here are some things I have done since i got pretty good at it.

My wifes wiper arms off of her Nissan, I did them in texture black

This is a pic of a speed square, I randomly secided needed a touch up...it's black gloss, notice how it gets into all the small details.

Here is a Wiper Arm I found laying around my garage with no match, So I decided to try out the candy Blue on it..

Today I plan on trying my first Valve covers, I picked two up from the Junkyard a stratus and a Probe cover, see how they turn out. Anyone else on here PC?

****Looking for a 95-99 Cavy in PA with
a good title, preferably not running or
just a shell.

Re: What to powdercoat today, My new hobby
Friday, February 08, 2008 7:52 AM
I use to back in the day. Powder is really durable and looks awsome.
Friday, February 08, 2008 8:05 AM
i powder coat a little i need a bigger oven. but with that candy u did how did u PC it? like did u use a base, preheat it? and did you use a clear coat? also where did you buy your powder?
Friday, February 08, 2008 8:12 AM
I powder coated a bunch of parts on my 76 mg this summer. Im not doing right now cause its too cold to sit outside to use the sandblaster. Parts look real good. What PC system are you using?

Friday, February 08, 2008 10:53 AM
that looks pretty sweet man. DEF a nice skill to have! gonna start doing it for cash on the side?

coming back in 2008...
Friday, February 08, 2008 11:28 AM
so_hardcore- Yeah I lay down a Silver basecoat, then I spray on hte candy and then shoot a clear over that. I also preheat my parts I am coating to get rid of any unwanted Gas emisions it may have during curing time. Im not really looking to make a career or even a job out of it, I just took it up to do somestuff on my car and for some friends....But This forum is really a good helper when I have problems and need a place to turn. I'd be willing to help someone out on here if they needed something. As long as It doesnt consume my life...haha. Im not looking to make a million bucks that forsure, I did it to save money, I thought...But I think i spent more to get everything than i would of just to have them PC'd. I guess if your interested in something you could PM and we could talk about it.

just a shell.
Saturday, February 09, 2008 7:58 AM
Thought I'd post a pic of a Dodge Stratus valve cover I did yesterday for my neighbor, it is the chrome color, with the raised letters un coated.

just a shell.
Saturday, February 09, 2008 8:23 AM
What a great skill. Parts look awesome.

Saturday, February 09, 2008 8:57 AM
what kind of oven are u useing and what temp are u preheating to, i go up to 150. and are u preheating between each coat?
Saturday, February 09, 2008 5:51 PM
I am using a Commerical restaurant oven I bought at an auction. This is a hobby for me not a profession. yes I preheat before coating, I preheat the part to start up to 400 for 10 minutes to let any gasses or errors in the metal come out....then when I preheat before each coat, I heat to 175. How many coats do you put on of one color?

just a shell.
Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:07 AM
That looks dam sharp! Congrats!

I think steelies for a car should be next.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:30 AM
how bout my wheels?? i have some gunmetal wheels that i cant sell and am thinking they'd look better in black.... might as well use them and save the all seasons i just bought..... hehehe

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:11 PM
hey guys here are some new pics I just took of some things I have been working on for friends, and stuff. I am trying to get a website going so I can become a vendor on here. I emailed the Admin, just waiting for a reply. here is some more pics of my work. Next time I get to a Junk yard, I'll try and find a 2.4 valve cover, to spray it for yall...but my 2.2 vc isnt worth PCing, in my oppinion.

Honda Valve cover in Candy red.....

Neon Valve cover IN Metallic silver with crappy lighting...this has sparkles in it

Neon Valve Cover in Candy Blue

let me know what up guys! I'll try and get a 2.4 valve cover and get it on here for ya!

just a shell.
Friday, February 15, 2008 3:46 PM
this is something i have been wanting to get into, have any sites with some good info on gettin started? i dont have much knowledge on the subject but would like more. what kinna bankroll does it take it get started?

By the way stuff looks great man, keep up the good work!!!

"sometimes the respect is more important..."
Friday, February 15, 2008 4:10 PM
how about an ohv on. i wanna see one in silver

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:49 PM
when it stops snowing, imma go to a Junk yard and get a Valve cover, hopefully a twin cam and 2.2 cover to powdercoat so yall can see some pics.

just a shell.
Friday, February 15, 2008 7:43 PM
price. i have a spare i want done black. ???

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:55 PM
Wow, I'd love to see the 2.4 IDI cover. Awesome work!

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:09 PM
thanks for the good words guys!

just a shell.
Friday, February 15, 2008 8:26 PM
i have only used one coat of powder per color, well thats all i needed. yea those covers look great. Where are you buying your powder at?
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:40 AM
Well my spare is on its way to him right now. i will post pics when i get it back

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:32 AM
on the chrome powdercoat... how close is it to actual chrome? i cant really tell in the pics...

also, when you do it, or well.. anybody for that matter-do you ever get orange peel or runs?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:42 AM
SO_hardcore wrote:i have only used one coat of powder per color, well thats all i needed. yea those covers look great. Where are you buying your powder at?

I get mine from:
Tiger-drylac
Pendry
Caswell
Eastwood

sig not found
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:30 AM
i whish i was linving close to you... i called a shop to get a set of wheel powdercoat and quote me 500$ for the set!!! i said screw that, for that price, i can get a new set of wheels lol

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:20 PM
Magik1109 wrote:i whish i was linving close to you... i called a shop to get a set of wheel powdercoat and quote me 500$ for the set!!! i said screw that, for that price, i can get a new set of wheels lol

wow, i was just quoted $50 a rim for mine at a place pretty close. maybe you should think about possibly shipping them there? pm for details...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search