Oxidation driving me mad!!! - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oxidation driving me mad!!!
Monday, February 04, 2008 4:25 PM
It get humid in our garage and moister likes to settle on the car inside and out!

What is killing me is the fact that it oxidizes the hell out of the engine and tranny and is just so damn unsightly! Is there a spray that can remove oxidation and protect the aluminum?! I know I could scrub it off but its in the hardest to reach places!

Anyone have a solution?

Re: Oxidation driving me mad!!!
Monday, February 04, 2008 4:33 PM
give it a good wax or polish or even a light spray of oil or lubricant. vegetable oil or a silicone based oil should work ok

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, February 04, 2008 5:11 PM
Now that is a great idea. Maybe ill scuff the oxidation off then coat the aluminum in some thin mobil 1

Monday, February 04, 2008 5:58 PM
Best suggestion I have is to run a de-humidifier in the garage or two,other than that I dunno.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, February 04, 2008 6:01 PM
my suggestion would be powdercoat everything that's oxidizing

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:33 PM
could get away with wd 40 real lightly, or like he said, de humidifier

Monday, February 04, 2008 8:04 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Best suggestion I have is to run a de-humidifier in the garage or two,other than that I dunno.

X2

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:22 PM
Darkstars wrote:
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Best suggestion I have is to run a de-humidifier in the garage or two,other than that I dunno.

X2

Sadly that is not an option for my stupid all metal leaky ass garage . Glad I am moving this summer!

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:07 AM
Climate controlled, thats what the show car guys do. I get the same thing here, especially when the temp changes alot. Kind of makes me mad since I spent a fortune on polished alum parts and they are oxidizing and I cant do any thing about it but polish it and oil it down. I feel for you.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:30 AM
I was gonna say a coat of wax

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:39 AM
joe malechowski wrote:Climate controlled, thats what the show car guys do. I get the same thing here, especially when the temp changes alot. Kind of makes me mad since I spent a fortune on polished alum parts and they are oxidizing and I cant do any thing about it but polish it and oil it down. I feel for you.

huh? maybe where you live has harsher weather then here, but my car sits in my garage with absolutely no climate control whatsoever. the only problems i ever get with it is during the winter my rotors will start to rust... all i do is spray some wd40 on them and there just fine all winter long. i have quite a few polished aluminum pieces, no issues there either.

i do have a tarp tapped to the floor directly under my car as well as a car cover though.

Aaron-im saying tape a tarp under the car and put down some cardboard sheets... this will keep a lot of the moisture from coming up through the floor. next, get a real good car cover. and last, cover the engine up with a plastic bag as best you can.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:36 PM
Well I live in the ohio river valley, so moisture is in the air alot , from fog and just plane humidity.
Today for example, I was working on my truck, Its very humid out , little chilly , raining and it looks like some one took a hose to my truck , under neath and the whole engine, especially aluminum, and also the concrete is damp.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:51 PM
Yeah I have to polish my valve cover and a few other things often. I'm very tempted to try wax.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search