Question about getting stuff painted - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about getting stuff painted
Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:38 AM
I found a guy that is going to paint my bumpers for 250 for everything. He also added an extra 25 bucks for tinting my headlights/tails (which im still unsure of doing yet) But, instead of getting my lights tinted, what do you all think about getting my door handles and mirrors painted. I see a lot of people on here getting their mirrors painted but I just can't remember the good and/or bad part of the mirror to get painted. Here are some pics so maybe somebody can lead me into the right direction.

Do I want to get the mirror shell painted or the black connector to the car painted too? I guess that is my question. I'll try to get some better pics later on when the sun peaks out, its cloudy out right now

dan

Re: Question about getting stuff painted
Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:43 AM
The outer part of the mirror is what looks better paint matched. The inner part looks better black to match the window trim.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:56 AM
Shadowfire wrote:The outer part of the mirror is what looks better paint matched. The inner part looks better black to match the window trim.

Ok thank you, that is all I needed

dan

Sunday, February 03, 2008 9:45 AM
don't tint your headlights. get your bumpers painted as well as your door handels, out side of the mirror and you should be golden.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:04 PM
jeff heyman wrote:don't tint your headlights. get your bumpers painted as well as your door handels, out side of the mirror and you should be golden.

Yeah, that is what I thought too

dan

Sunday, February 03, 2008 9:45 PM
ohhhhh, since you got white bumpers and wanting to paint them a dark color, for $250 , sand it yourself, at least you will know that its sanded good. wash it and use 320 grit dry, have the paint guy use a primer sealer on it. If its not prepped correctly you will have white speckled stone chips in a short period of time, which is ten times harder to fix then doing it right the first time.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Monday, February 04, 2008 2:47 AM
Get some fogs already will ya',LOL.The bumpers will hopefully look good when ya' get 'em painted.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, February 04, 2008 5:35 AM
joe malechowski wrote:ohhhhh, since you got white bumpers and wanting to paint them a dark color, for $250 , sand it yourself, at least you will know that its sanded good. wash it and use 320 grit dry, have the paint guy use a primer sealer on it. If its not prepped correctly you will have white speckled stone chips in a short period of time, which is ten times harder to fix then doing it right the first time.

prep for perfection
Monday, February 04, 2008 12:35 PM
joe malechowski wrote:ohhhhh, since you got white bumpers and wanting to paint them a dark color, for $250 , sand it yourself, at least you will know that its sanded good. wash it and use 320 grit dry, have the paint guy use a primer sealer on it. If its not prepped correctly you will have white speckled stone chips in a short period of time, which is ten times harder to fix then doing it right the first time.

actually... if the dude painting the car stands behind HIS work, that will be a horrible idea. No one will guarantee work over what someone else did... because if you didn't prep/prime it right, ..... you get the idea.

If there is no gurarantee on the work, then do what you wish it really doesn't matter. But if there is a guarantee, then just let the painter take care of it

Monday, February 04, 2008 2:03 PM
^^^agreed^^^

Monday, February 04, 2008 3:48 PM
I didnt figure that there was a warranty for $250, thats why I suggested to sand them his self.
If there is a warranty, let the painter sand it, by all means.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:34 PM
joe malechowski wrote:I didnt figure that there was a warranty for $250, thats why I suggested to sand them his self.

Why wouldn't he back up his own work?

dan

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:54 PM
Believe it or not there are people that dont care what the outcome is, just that they get paid.
250 to paint all that stuff is awful cheap, well around here anyway.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:42 AM
dubduce18s wrote:
joe malechowski wrote:I didnt figure that there was a warranty for $250, thats why I suggested to sand them his self.

Why wouldn't he back up his own work?

dan

because the prepwork on a paintjob is just as important if not more then the paintjob itself. and if someone else did the prepwork then a painter isn't going to take responsibility of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:20 PM
thier all right in thier own ways i'd follow fallen angel , it all depends on the prep work u take you time with it do it right even with a crappy paint will come out looking great if u did a crappy prep job and used better paint the cheaper looking paint is gonna look 10X better find out if he'll stand behind his work if not then take the exrat percausion and sand it yourself.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:15 AM
I guess first of all, talk to the painter and make sure he will guarantee his work. If he won't, you'd be better off paying more to someone who WILL guarantee their work. Sure $250 is a steal, but if his work is crappy and he won't stand behind it, you're going to end up paying another $250 (or more), etc... etc... In the long run it'll be cheaper to pay a little more and have the work guaranteed in the first place.

Secondly, no one who guarantees their work can guarantee against normal road hazzards... i.e. rock chips, someone scratching your car accidentally... stuff like that. Unless they're advertising some sort of new miracle chip resistant paint, it's one of those things that's impossible to avoid.

Does the guy that's going to be doing the work, work at a shop? Is he doing it on the side? Make sure either way he guarantees his work, and if he's doing it on the side make sure the guarantee is in writing (actually make sure it's in writing somewhere).

Honestly, if he won't guarantee his work, going the cheap route may not be your best option, unless you really don't care if there's rock chips or not, or paint is peeling off down the road, etc. I know back when I painted cars on the side I still stood behind my work, because I wanted to build a good business/reputation. I rented out shop space at my old boss's shop, but I still stood behind my work. Then my knee gave out on me and I just couldn't do that kinda work everyday anymore.

There's some people (not pointing at anyone in this thread) that complain about body work/paint being expensive. Yeah, it can be. But you have to consider there's normally 2-3 people working on your car, sometimes more. Plus materials: paints, reducers, clear, activators, tape, paper, lacquer thinner, tack cloths, plastic masking, wax/grease removers, etc. etc. So in addition to the salaries of the people working on your car for hours of work, shop overhead prices are there... bills need to be paid... (unless it's a one man/woman operation, then it's just one but still).

I guess my point is, it's better to pay more if you have to in order to have the work guraranteed.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:49 PM
He owns his own shop, its right by my old work. I walked into his shop one day and he had a bunch of cars that he was working on. He also has a full paint booth, ventilation and lighting.

dan

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:40 PM
--- UPDATE ---

Bumpers are getting painted on Friday and will be picking up them on Sunday/Monday. And the guy that is doing them, works at a local body shop. He will sand, prime, paint and clean himself.

-dan

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:09 PM
I hope it comes out nice. I think it will

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search