carbon fiber doors - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
carbon fiber doors
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:09 PM
Before anyone says anything i have searched and not found the answer i was looking for. I was wondering if the carbon fiber doors made by class glass would fit the front and rear doors of a four door 2003 cavalier? And if so would it be possible to put my electric windows in them?
Another question is there anywhere that sells carbon fiber fenders for 03 cavalier and if so are they lighter than stock?

Re: carbon fiber doors
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:45 PM
nope, sorry... your sedan front doors are much shorter in length and the coupe doors CG sells will not work. as for the electric windows, i doubt it. they are not designed to be used with all the stuff, plexi on the outside screwed down is all you get.

only place i know of that sells carbon fiber fenders for ANY cavalier is nopi.com. problem is, they are stock steelies wrapped in CF so you get no weight savings whatsoever. you can however buy fiberglass fenders for our cars, they are all over ebay. problem is, they dont come in stock style, you have to get the ones with all the gay scoops and stuff. they could be cut out and then you could re-fiberglass the fender to look stock though.

also, all 95-05 3rd gen cavalier fenders are the same, with exception of the corner bracket for the various phase/headlight differences.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:24 PM
no, they sell coupe doors. although if your car were race only you could hack the doors up, glass em back together, and then they would fit. but i doubt thats what you are wanting, is it?

yes you can mount your electric windows, but you will have to do all the fabbing for it. but since these doors are for race only, having electric windows arent a necessity anyway.

ive not found any place that has pure c/f fenders. most of them are like zyaa said and carbon over a metal fender.

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 18, 2008 12:47 PM
and the cf doors have little to no internal safety bracing in then, so if you get hit by another car on the street, a few things will happen.........

1 you will probably die
2 if you live, you will have wasted alot of money on doors
3 if you live the insurance company wont pay you squat
4 you will be completely liable for any injuries to anyone in your vehicle reguardless of who caused the accident

the only time you should EVER use these style doors is on a RACE CAR with a FULL wrap around roll cage in which case all your allowed to have is plexiglass windows or nets anyways, so the whole electric window thing doesnt matter. hope this helps

if you want cf doors, get your stock doors wraped

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Friday, January 18, 2008 6:29 PM
cavy tuner911 wrote:and the cf doors have little to no internal safety bracing in then, so if you get hit by another car on the street, a few things will happen.........

1 you will probably die
2 if you live, you will have wasted alot of money on doors
3 if you live the insurance company wont pay you squat
4 you will be completely liable for any injuries to anyone in your vehicle reguardless of who caused the accident

the only time you should EVER use these style doors is on a RACE CAR with a FULL wrap around roll cage in which case all your allowed to have is plexiglass windows or nets anyways, so the whole electric window thing doesnt matter. hope this helps

if you want cf doors, get your stock doors wraped

so what your say is insurance would pay medical bills if you don't have steel reinforced doors. DAMN i guess i wont ever buy a jeep wrangler and remove the doors and top insurance won't pay when some one t-bones me. not try to be a jerk but thats ridiculous. anyways i do agree that race cars and cars with real or fake roll cages DO NOT belong on the road due to the extra time to remove the person from the car and if its life threatening well "every second counts" in those situations. just my thoughts

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:59 AM
JRTHOMPSON wrote:
so what your say is insurance would pay medical bills if you don't have steel reinforced doors. DAMN i guess i wont ever buy a jeep wrangler and remove the doors and top insurance won't pay when some one t-bones me. not try to be a jerk but thats ridiculous. anyways i do agree that race cars and cars with real or fake roll cages DO NOT belong on the road due to the extra time to remove the person from the car and if its life threatening well "every second counts" in those situations. just my thoughts

there is a night and day difference between an off road vehicle that was designed with removable doors and safety features to counter their removal, and a unibody car using a 6 pound carbon fiber door for street use. the insurance company has already agreed to insure wranglers even with the ability to remove the doors. that is not in the agreement when you insure a cavalier.

coming back in 2008...
Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:25 AM
z yaaaa wrote:nope, sorry... your sedan front doors are much shorter in length and the coupe doors CG sells will not work. as for the electric windows, i doubt it. they are not designed to be used with all the stuff, plexi on the outside screwed down is all you get.

only place i know of that sells carbon fiber fenders for ANY cavalier is nopi.com. problem is, they are stock steelies wrapped in CF so you get no weight savings whatsoever. you can however buy fiberglass fenders for our cars, they are all over ebay. problem is, they dont come in stock style, you have to get the ones with all the gay scoops and stuff. they could be cut out and then you could re-fiberglass the fender to look stock though.

also, all 95-05 3rd gen cavalier fenders are the same, with exception of the corner bracket for the various phase/headlight differences.

quoted for truth.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 8:02 PM
(tabs) wrote:
JRTHOMPSON wrote:

there is a night and day difference between an off road vehicle that was designed with removable doors and safety features to counter their removal, and a unibody car using a 6 pound carbon fiber door for street use. the insurance company has already agreed to insure wranglers even with the ability to remove the doors. that is not in the agreement when you insure a cavalier.

i do agree for the most part that carbon fiber doors should not be used for street use i just dont think an insurance company aint going to pay your medical bills if some one runs into you because that would be one hell of an law suit. espicially since everyone is so sue happy anyways. but like i said i see your point on the different physical structures of the two vehicles.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 8:25 PM
there are all kinds of liability issues when you put glass or carbon doors on any vehicle, but most especially when you put them on a car like ours and then drive it on the street. i think an insurance company would be within their right to not pay for damages to you if you did this, although if the accident wasnt your fault then the other persons insurance company might have a problem getting around it because they didnt enter into the contract with you.

either way, carbon doors in general (and the class glass doors in specific) are listed as "race use only" and that warning should be heeded. if some dumbass drives around with a set and then gets hurt, its his own dumb fault.

coming back in 2008...
Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:43 AM
yes even if u buy the cg doors they arent going to be what u want i bought them and sent them right back. personally it was a waste of 1400. as far as a company making cf fenders erebuni supposively does but last i heard was that theyre going out of business. grounddynamics sells them but they might just be a carrier not a producer. but here are some photos of the doors.

this is the only thing that will even resemble cf and it really doesnt

the outside looks like fiberglass
Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:50 PM
^^^^ nice slipers. just like u said tabs they do say "race only not for highway use" inside the door

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:40 PM
JRTHOMPSON wrote:^^^^ nice slipers. just like u said tabs they do say "race only not for highway use" inside the door

@ slippers

but yeah...i used to deal for them so i got to see them up close and personal a few times.

scott a: how long ago did you order the doors? because class glass has been putting gel coats on ALL of their c/f products since about the end of 04 or beginning of 05. the listing on their site says
ClassGlassPerformance.com wrote:
Doors For Racing Only
Doors are for racing only and not for street use

The doors bolt to the stock hinges and use the stock latch. Windows are flanged for lexan and we suggest the use of a latch at the front top edge.

Fiberglass 12 to 15 lbs $395.00 each

Carbon Fiber 9 to 10 lbs in black gelcoat
(can't see the carbon on the outside)
$600.00 each

(then at the bottom of the page it says)

All of our Cavalier parts shown above are available in carbon fiber with a black gelcoat finish (can't see the carbon on the outside) for racing only. Call for price at 1-800-774-3456.

but had you wanted just the c/f look all you had to do was wet sand the gel coat down. the carbon is under there (as is evident by the inside of the door. that IS what carbon fiber looks like.) i take it you were just looking for an aesthetic piece and ordered the race doors without paying attention to the disclaimers?

coming back in 2008...
Monday, January 21, 2008 12:17 AM
scott a do you have any more pics of the doors?
Monday, January 21, 2008 12:39 AM
JRTHOMPSON wrote:
(tabs) wrote:
JRTHOMPSON wrote:

i do agree for the most part that carbon fiber doors should not be used for street use i just dont think an insurance company aint going to pay your medical bills if some one runs into you because that would be one hell of an law suit. espicially since everyone is so sue happy anyways. but like i said i see your point on the different physical structures of the two vehicles.

it has something to do with making the car more unsafe then it was built. replacing a crash tested door that weighs 100lbs or mor with a carbon/fiberglass door that weighs 20lbs makes it unsafe. just like removing the air bag. insurence has the right to refusepayment or make it a huge pita situation if you make the car unsafe..

a prime example. a friend hit a dead deer. was heading up late at night and went around a turn. there was a deer someone already hit that was dead in the road. didnt have time to avoid so he hit it and it damaged his front end. insurence adjuster came out to look at it.. heres the kicker. my buddy had a nitrous kit installed prior. when the adjuster saw the bottle in the car and found out it was hooked up. the dropped him from the insurence.

and to the OPs question. they require lexan windows. and if your doing that kind of weight reduction, why are u started with a 4 door??

thats a HUGE mod. i think karo is the only one with fiberglass doors here on his fire

12.5@116 2.0 60ft
Monday, January 21, 2008 7:12 AM
Moral of the story? Just don't do it unless it is a race/track car & will never see the street. It is not safe.

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:48 AM
those are the only good pics i have of the doors. everything else i have is pics i took of the damage it had when i took it out of the package.

i no that it said sumthing about a black gel coat but when i looked at the actual picture it looks like carbon fiber without it. i dont no alot about fiberglassing and such so i didnt no exactly what the balck gel coat would mean or do. i just simply went off of what was on the pics.

oh and i ordered them about 9 months ago directly from them.

the whole sanding them down thing wasnt going to happen because thats too much work for sure. all i can say is that the doors are very brittle and damage easily. when the delivery guy brought them to my house he thought it was a painting.

very unsafe.

o and about the slippers thats my mom taking the pic. lol.
Monday, January 21, 2008 12:29 PM
tabs- i dont see how sanding the black gel-coat off is going to get you anywhere, the gel coat seeps into the fibers and holds it all together. by sanding it, you may get to see a little bit of the fibers, but i really doubt it would be enough to make it worth it.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:55 PM
zyaaaa: unless theyve changed their production process, the doors are made with the same resin as they used to use for their fiber products. that means it comes out like in the pictures on their site. they then put a black gelcoat over it much like how you can get fiberglass parts in a variety of colors (aerogear uses light blue, some companies use red, but most knock offs use white or grey).

the gelcoat is basically a high build primer over the piece. its mainly used over fiberglass to fill in the highs/lows that natually occur in the fiberglassing process. its a quick and effective way to make the piece ready to paint. otherwise they would manually have to go over the piece with glazing putty, sand, etc.

the gelcoat is not the same as resin, which is needed to actually make the part. the gelcoat simply goes on over top of the piece. think of it like paint. sand it down and you should see the carbon fiber (again, unless they changed their production process, but i doubt they have)

scott: be glad Class Glass is such a great company that they actually took your doors back. most companies would tell you to stuff it if you made a mistake like that.

coming back in 2008...
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:31 AM
well i know most companies wont exchange and yes i did get lucky but i also sent them back because of the damage. so one way or another they were going back.
o and thanx for the info about gelcoat
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:41 AM
its a nonpoint since you got your $ back, but thats obviously shipping damage on the doors and should have been taken up with the shipping company (yellow freight, im guessing?)

coming back in 2008...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search