Hard top convertible??? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hard top convertible???
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:18 PM
Two questions really... I drive a 97 GT Convertible, and was wondering if anyone makes a removable hard top that I can throw on to it.. I aint a fan of the rag really.

And since im here, Would you guys be able to drop a couple names for places selling the evil eyes style head lights??? Cant stand the stock ones.

Re: Hard top convertible???
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:23 PM
To my knowledge there was no hardtop ever made for the convertibles. GM didn't make one and I don't know of any aftermarket companies that did either.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:26 PM
well........you could always go down to your local junkyard grab a top. then use blocks of foam to fill in low points. stretch a porus fabric over the whole thing and coat it in resin. sand it down-paint it and use pins to connect the org mounts, that way instead of undoing bolts youre pulling out hood latch pins...........just a premeditated thought

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:17 PM
and to your headlight question...

its not headlights...its extensions of the hood OVER the headlight. fabrication only, no easy light swap

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:22 PM
Except the cheesy decals that never match the paint...

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:52 PM
no one makes a hard top for the Js. anything would have to be custom made.

try classglassperformance.com for a hood with evil eyes molded into the hood. their hoods are made from high quality fiberglass and look bad ass. fit great and are great people to deal with. i highly recommend them

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:41 AM
thanks for the link tabs..

Custom work for the hard top, eh??? all i need now, is time and money lol.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:11 AM
lostsol wrote:well........you could always go down to your local junkyard grab a top. then use blocks of foam to fill in low points. stretch a porus fabric over the whole thing and coat it in resin. sand it down-paint it and use pins to connect the org mounts, that way instead of undoing bolts youre pulling out hood latch pins...........just a premeditated thought

theres alot more work involved then just laying down some resin. resin alone is useless and will break very quickly

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:55 AM
well of course theres alot more that goes into it i was just giving a genralization of what process could be taken....also the best thing to doafter all that is done would be to gelcoat then lay layer after layer of glass or carbon using the foam and fabric is just a way to get a general shape you want......sry i wasnt clear and thnx for correcting me.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:50 AM
the best thing to do after what you originally mentioned would to be to turn it into a plug/mold and make a totally new piece from it all.

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:48 AM
exactly

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search