Headlight problems...... electrical - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Headlight problems...... electrical
Sunday, August 12, 2007 1:52 PM
I know many of you guys have done headlight swaps from cavys to fires and vice versa........

i swapped out my 95-99 style cavy lights for 95-02 sunfire lights

I have absolutely no power to the headlight bulbs at all.... as in no voltage through the wires

I first thought ok.... switch..... cause there was no power coming out of the switch to the headlight bulbs....... but i plugged the switch in to my other car which is a sunfire... and i have power coming out of the switch....

so recap.... i have power going into the switch into both cars..... but no power coming back out on only one car...... i know its confusing but what the hell could be the problem?

theres power at the fuses and everything

Re: Headlight problems...... electrical
Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:27 PM
did u just swap harness? or did u actually splice in pigtails?

Sunday, August 12, 2007 7:55 PM
yeah i swaped the harness...... but thats not the problem..... i have no power to the harness at all except for the parking lamps

could the drl relay be the problem? I have them disabled but i see that power still has to run through it.... so where is the relay located?

Sunday, August 12, 2007 7:58 PM
You smash the front end or something? Why the Sun-alier conversion?

KRI Motorsports BBQ/Car Meet ~ Sunday August 26th, 2007 CLICK HERE for info!
Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:40 PM
bought the old rksport bumper off of quickblackecotec

just want to do something different with the car..... once i get things looking good and tweaked ill post pics up

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:50 AM
Monday, August 13, 2007 2:45 AM
DUDE, where'd u get those guages??? I LOVE THEM!
Monday, August 13, 2007 6:16 AM
where did you check where you have power to? at the end of the bulb pigtails? or actually at the harness connector coming from the car before it connects to the fire harness?

was gonna wait for you to reply but I'm almost certain this is your problem because I had the same problem. I know in your old cav you used a sunfire harness or whatever, youve told me that before, but i'm betting your problem is the harness. The pin connectors arent in the same location so your plugging pins into empty slots not making connection with anything. When I tried your method on my green car last year, thats the problem i ran into, only parking lights would and horn worked..

Thats what im thinking your problem is. Your better off splicing your connectors in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 13, 2007 6:23 AM

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:04 PM
nope...... theres no power coming from the main harness at all..... the pink and blue wire that controls the high and low beams

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:10 PM
and this is at that harness connector without plugging in the sunfire harness?

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:15 PM
yes it is

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:22 PM
did u reconnect the harness grounds on them? i know on mine it had like 2, 1 on each side of the connector harness.

Monday, August 13, 2007 7:48 PM
yes i did

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:15 PM
try swapping back to cavalier and if so does it fix your problem? if so either how the relays are, or your connect pin out is different and causing problems, could be other reasons too but if u swap and that fixes your problem it tells u what your cause is, then i would think about just splicing in.. nothing wrong with it if u do it right(solder and heat shrink)

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:48 PM
do you think the fact my car is a 97.... and the harness is from a 95..... that would do it?

cause i know 95 was the bastard year for wiring

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:09 AM
probably.. but not certain.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:09 AM
ok fixed the problem but now have a new one..........

both the high and low beam wires have power at the same time

i put the correct year harness in

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:03 PM
ahh..... i got them to work....

although the only problem i have is the turn signals flash really fast... whats up with that? and the right turn indicator stays on when i turn the lights on

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:25 PM
one of your wires are crossed.

i custom wired my entire headlight side marker and even mirror led's with a friend, we've never had a problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search