Black Vinyl to cover rear window tinted dot matrix - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Black Vinyl to cover rear window tinted dot matrix
Monday, June 25, 2007 7:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a standard Krylon flat black, it will stay, not like you have stuff rubbing against it constantly or something. Had mine on there for 3 years now, and going strong. He taped it off, with a couple of newspapers hanging down, and just sprayed a couple of thin coats, looks great!!

Monday, June 25, 2007 12:04 PM
IMO spray paint it from the side. My tinter did that to my rear window like 4 years ago and still holding strong. He just tinted up to the edge of the dox matrix. Put some news paper up. He put the paper slightly lower on the tint so you have no gap and it blended together.

Cant even tell from the outside that its painted. You will just loose a little window on the inside. You'll only notice it for a day or so. After that you dont notice it.

Regards,
Monday, June 25, 2007 1:24 PM
yea i used a flat black blends with the inside color if the black and blends good with the outside too

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:38 PM
So I did my annual alotment of "handyman-ness" this evening, and tried the paint approach. I didn't screw it up as badly as I might have.

This is what my neighborhood tint guy left me with. Blech.

I grabbed some Krylon Fusion on the way home from work, since it was the only rattle can I could find that mentioned glass. I got satin black, since this line of paint didn't seem to have flat black to choose from.

After I discovered that regular painter's tape is useless on curves, and after I decided I was too lazy to go and get some plastic painters tape, I found a roll of electrical tape and made something resembling a smooth curve. The window is dirty, yes.

I ran an razor blade along the edge I had made, and praised the lord that the tint was fresh enough to peel off freely. Had I been thinking, I would have cut a little higher and painted over a little bit of the tint for a clean edge, but I wasn't thinking, so I suck.

I took a moment to enjoy the closest thing my car will ever have to a sunroof unless I have an unfortunate incident involving a meteorite.

This was after something like 7 coats. I was getting a bit pissed off about the pathetic coverage of this stuff.

About 25 coats later and after emptying the can, I got here.

Outside looked far better than when I began.

About 20 minutes later, I dared to peel the tape back. The light was also fading, so my camera began to hate me. The edge was a little ragged, but I figured I could go in and smooth it when the paint was fully dried.

When I got outside, I kicked myself for not overlapping the edge a little bit. Oh well, lesson learned, and a big improvement nontheless. Maybe I can go in with a little sandpaper, some black paint, a small brush and a steady hand to clean the edge later on.

So the moral of this story?
a) Painting is a valid and relatively easy way to solve the dot matrix issue
b) When masking your line, plan to paint over the edge the tint slightly, dummy.
c) Wear a mask unless you like black snot

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search