Type J rear bumper crush guard - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Type J rear bumper crush guard
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:22 PM
I just realized that one my cavy when they installed my drift kit, they totally removed my rear crush gaurd!! Is this going to affect the way the type J rear bumper sits on the car. I know it needs something to sit on and i found a new one online for like 50 bucks. Think it will fit of without it or should i get the crush guard?

Re: Type J rear bumper crush guard
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:30 PM
Get the crush panel. You will like the looks of the kit better with it.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:37 PM
Yep, it will for sure affect it, urethane says without some support, especially over time, and especially the Type-J under the trunk. Even with the crushguard I have some waves I couldn't get rid of for the life of me.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:41 PM
Heres the dilema. I can order the one for the 2003-2005 cavalier but its 95.00. They have one for the 95-99 cavaliers for like 50.00. That will fot my car because i the type j rears are all the same so it has to fit. Right/?//?/

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:46 PM
i say it would fit

but i'm not 100% sure about that one chief

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 3:52 PM
why not just make bracing for a few bucks instead of buying the crush guard and hacking it up.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:19 PM
Does the rear crush need to be hacked at all to fit? I would think because the type j bumper contour is larger overall it would just fit right over.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5:04 PM
The rear crushguard does not need to be hacked, I prefer to call it "shaved". On mine I took a couple inches off the back of it, but height wise it remained stock, and allow support for the top of the bumper, along with protection that it was designed for.

Type-J was designed for 2k+, look at 95-99's how the bumper curves down at an angle underneath the trunk, 2k+ goes out a lot straighter, matching the Type-J better for support.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5:39 PM
^^^really, i had to hack up my 03 crush guard for the type-j rear, and i got so sick of having to keep taking more and more of it, i gave up and went without a crush gaurd

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:18 PM
Ohh well. I ordered the crush guard for the 95-99 kit. Doesnt matter anyways due to me having to hack it up a bit. Ill just add some expand foam to it to match the curves of the bumper and cut to fit. Its only foam. I saved like 40 bucks ordering the 95-99 so im happy and ill make it work. Thanks guys.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:29 PM
I had to shave just a few inches off for my type J to fit. It has some nice support to it I can push down on the bumper and move the whole car.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search