Step by step install for carbon fiber hood? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Step by step install for carbon fiber hood?
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:04 PM
Hey , i have a new carbon fiber invader hood for my sunfire sedan; just wondering if someone could post a step by step install process for me; i know its probally so simple, but i will be the first to admit if i ant never done it before, i am nervous and want it done right the first time with as little errors as possible.
Is the instal just as simple as putting the oem latch from my oem hood onto my new hood and the two plates up by the windshiled on each side of the new hood?
Thanks

98 j-body sedan

Re: Step by step install for carbon fiber hood?
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:08 PM
i find it easier if you dont remove the hinges from the car but just unbolt the hood from the hinge, this way you wont have to worry about messing up the aligment of the hood.

pretty much pop the hood and prop it open.
loosen all 4 bolts on each side (helps if you have some to hold the hood for you but its not needed)
take the hood off and then remove the 2 bolts holdin the latch on.
put latch on new hood
put hood on hinges and bolt down.
if it seems to sit a little low or alittle high, there are bump stops under the hood that can be adjusted up or down to move the hood.

if i were you, i would invest in a set of pins but thats just me

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:57 PM
Its a little easier that way and if you got a friend that can lend an extra pair of hands that would help.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 3:18 PM
Cool thanks, sounds easy enough.
Just one last thing; my hood is all packed up in the box in my room, waitting till about april sometime to put her on; i dont remember seeing a hole for the prop rod to keep the hood up; its a vis invader hood; anyone know if there is a hole in the hood for the prop rod; if not what do i do about that?

98 j-body sedan

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:32 PM
Dont know if it has a spot for it or not. They do make prop rods that dont require a slot to hold it up and they're adjustable. I believe lotek makes one.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:59 AM
use the hood latch, just stick the prop arm there and it should be ok

Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:19 PM
Gas struts!

Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:45 PM
Anyone with a vis cf invader hood on a sunfire useing the oem prop rod to hold the hood up?
How do you use the prop rod by just putting it where the latch goes; does that open the hood far enough for people to work under the hood? i dont think it would......

98 j-body sedan

Monday, March 20, 2006 3:20 PM
Hey, when putting a hood on, is there problems that come up with lineing up of the hood; like does the hood take some messing around with to get it to sit properally after putting the hinges on and latch?

98 j-body sedan

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:27 AM
yea i already explained that in my first post. if you keep the hinges on the car then it wont be hard to line up. basically put the hood on but dont tighten the bolts down and you can move and adjust it to where you want, then you can tighten the bolts down. also you can use the bump stops up front if the hood sits too high or too low

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:14 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]yea i already explained that in my first post. if you keep the hinges on the car then it wont be hard to line up. basically put the hood on but dont tighten the bolts down and you can move and adjust it to where you want, then you can tighten the bolts down. also you can use the bump stops up front if the hood sits too high or too low
so someoone like myself with little exsperience when it comes to installation on car parts should not have a problem putting the hood on with some help from a friend to hold the hood on one side.
I hope everything works out when i go to install the hood.
How do the bumper stops adjust/; i tried twisting them with my finger but nothing; just wantted to see how they adjust before i install the hood..

98 j-body sedan

Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:36 PM
Turn a little harder!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search