Light bulb questions - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Light bulb questions
Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:16 PM
I dont know how many of you have this kinda experience, but maybe you do, Im making custom tails, and the turn signal is a 194 bulb, or socket for that matter. I already picked up a set of yellow LED 12v 194 bulbs, but im not sure how bright they are gonna be in the daylight. Theres going to be clear lenses on the tails, no red, and Im contemplating painting the inside housing black. I was checking out some NOKYA Yellow 194's any experience?

Re: Light bulb questions
Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:21 PM
With clear lenses you should not have a problem...

I have yellow 194's that I got off eBay for my front side signal and they are plenty bright, even in the daytime, behind the orange lens.

Now I just got to find a 90 degree 3357 LED bulb (yellow preferably) and I'm all set

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:46 AM
kardain i know where you can get them Pm me and i will get you set!

Who needs a sig?
www.sinisterimages.com
Friday, March 10, 2006 7:55 AM
I had red LED's in my 2000 taillights and noticed 2 things.

The brightness was barley acceptable in the sunlight (might have been better with clear lenses) and the turn signal flash pattern went from normal blink to very fast.

Plus at the price (about $10 apiece CDN IIRC) I wasnt terribly impressed with the longevity. One would blow every 60-90 days. I eventually went back to normal bulbs.

Rice.....Part of a balanced Pontiac diet.
Friday, March 10, 2006 8:04 AM
well they are blowing because of the fast blink, you need resistors, look on ebay for them, their made for that reason, the LED draws so little power that it trips the bulb out signal, making it flash fast. I am going to have clear lenses, and I have a bad feeling that the LED isnt going to be bright enough in the daylight (no amber housing)

Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:55 PM
anyways, If anyone has been folowing my topics, i started the custom tails this weekend, im ordering the clear lenses from izn tomorrow......

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:30 PM
The clear housing will be better than with the amber housing...

91 Sunbird - jWagg is correct. Load resistors are needed (even with the regular resistors for the LED's) to not make the car think that there is a bulb out.

jWagg - good luck on your project. As for the lenses, you shouldn't be disappointed

Sunday, March 12, 2006 11:41 AM
im flipping back and forth, whether i should order a set of clear lenses, or clear with diffusers.......... Im just not sure how its going to look. Im kinda leaning towards no diffusers, because its 20 bucks cheaper, and i think it might look a little better. I am still going to use the diffuser that was inside of the 194 bulb spot if you know what i mean.. I just am not sure if you will be able to see into the housing. Do you think your LED's are going to be bright enough in the daylight with no reflectors?

Sunday, March 12, 2006 12:38 PM
hey justin. just get the clear lenses w/o diffusers. if you are maybe going for this look....

you can get just the lenses and make your own diffusers. i will show you how. its VERY simple. w/o the diffusers will look like this...

you then can decide on what you want to do after you are done with your project. to make the diffusers, it will only cost you 5.00 at home depot. very cheap and easy. let me know if you have any questions man.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, March 12, 2006 1:18 PM
Should...

Here's a standard LED bulb that I have in my reverse light housing for parking lights/brakes... full sun, parking lights on...

Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:15 PM
Kardain wrote:The clear housing will be better than with the amber housing...

91 Sunbird - jWagg is correct. Load resistors are needed (even with the regular resistors for the LED's) to not make the car think that there is a bulb out.

jWagg - good luck on your project. As for the lenses, you shouldn't be disappointed

Thanks guys. The LED units I had had a built-in resistor so I figgured that was all that was needed. I'll keep the 2nd one in mind when I get around to lights on this project.

Rice.....Part of a balanced Pontiac diet.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:22 PM
IZN TRBL wrote:hey justin. just get the clear lenses w/o diffusers. if you are maybe going for this look....

you can get just the lenses and make your own diffusers. i will show you how. its VERY simple. w/o the diffusers will look like this...

you then can decide on what you want to do after you are done with your project. to make the diffusers, it will only cost you 5.00 at home depot. very cheap and easy. let me know if you have any questions man.

your always a super big help, and i was waiting for your input haha! I guess ill go with the clear ones, the stuff is the stick on kinda diffuser stuff at home depot huh? im kinda scared that it will turn yellow??? The Diffusers you sell are the plastic peices right? that do not stick on

Sunday, March 12, 2006 9:32 PM
no i believe hees talking about buying the plastic sheeting that you use in industrial lighting. you can buy that at home depot for cheap. just buy that and make your own. and buy the way. wheres the progress piks you promised me.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:14 AM
all ive done is taken a dremel and sawed off the red relector.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:47 PM
sheesh. you havent had alot of time. its been 2 weeks and you havent got much done. im really lookin forward to the finished product

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 8:39 PM
Wojo wrote:no i believe hees talking about buying the plastic sheeting that you use in industrial lighting. you can buy that at home depot for cheap. just buy that and make your own.

that is exactly what i was saying. thank you for clarifying it. sometimes i assume everyone knows exactly what i am saying.
i was going to sell the "diffused" pieces, but i figured why when people can make their own cheaper than what the shipping would cost.
if you or anyone needs any answers regarding this topic, please ask and i or kardain will help you guys out as much as i/we can.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:40 AM
Wojo wrote:sheesh. you havent had alot of time. its been 2 weeks and you havent got much done. im really lookin forward to the finished product

lol I've been working on mine since July. However, I've had other car issues that needed to be addressed since then that took priority over this.

And as IZN said, I'll do my best to answer questions, just hit the

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search