Fron Bumper Removal - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fron Bumper Removal
Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:53 PM
i have a 1998 Cavalier 4-door with the grey plastic non painted bumper w/e u call it. someone hit and ran me at the bowling alley while i was inside and i need to know how to remove it, also there is a white bar the the top off the buper looks like it should bolt to with 4 holes, well it got bent to and i was wondering if it can be replaced. thanks

Re: Fron Bumper Removal
Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:17 AM
i did a search for like 10 min and still couldn't find a how-to, im pretty sure there is one.
i have taken a few off so ill give you a quick how to. hopefully someone can find the post on it for you.

remove both headlights and the rad shroud.
then remove both inner fenders.

now start at one side and remove all the bolts from the wheel well 6 or 7mm, do the same to the other side. don't forget the ones that hold the cover to the fender.

there are 6? bolts running along the bottom of the bumper cover, and there should be 3 push in rivets on the top of the bumper cover(under the headlights and 1 in the middle)
the push in rivets are a PITA to remove i just cut them off and get new ones.

now the cover should be free from the car so unhook the harness for the marker lights and pull on the cover a little, it should come off. if not double check that all the bolts are removed. (i probably missed a few). or if your not keeping the cover you can pull until it comes off.
now reverse the steps to replace.

as for the bar it sounds like 1, the rad support or 2, the actual bumper itself, if you can get pics or a better description id be able to help you out there.

this is just a quick how to if you need any more info let me know and ill help you out.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:33 AM
theres no need to remove the inner fender lining.

all you have to do is remove the rad cover that has like 8 push pins in it
then remove both headlighta and corner lights.
2 bolts behind each corner light that hold the bumper to the fender
some misc. bolts in the wheel wells
4 push pins between the headlights.

thats all thats there

Monday, March 06, 2006 2:44 PM
Do you remove the sunfire sedan bumper the same way?
Any airbag sensors to worry about when removing a bumper? should the battery be unhooked?

98 j-body sedan

Monday, March 06, 2006 2:47 PM
A.J. Howard wrote: at the bowling alley

What was your score?

The bolts in the wheel wells are on the outer edge of the lining. They just attach to the bumper. No need to take the linings off.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:14 PM
buy a haynes manual, i did for when I replaced my 1999 Sunfire sedans front and rear bumper with 2000 gt bumpers, easy fix. here is what haynes says
****** DISCONNECT BATTERY AND PULL AIR BAG FUSE(there is a sensor right at the front of the car, right beside the hood latch, you'll see it. dont need those airbags going off, wont only need new bags, but a new windshield as well.)
1) Raise front (or rear) of vehicle, support it securely on jackstands. ( I found it easier to take off the front(or rear) wheels, much more room to work, put that baby on jackstands and yank the parking brake!!!!
2) Remove the driver and passenger splash shields. ( if you look underneath the car, they should be the black plastic pieces that run from the front part of the wheelwell to underneath the front of the bumper.) Remove all sheet metal screws.
3) Looking into the wheelwell towards the front of the car, you'll see 2 bolts that fasten each side of the bumper to each fender.
4) Then there are 4 push-in retainers at the top where the hood and bumper meet, pull these out.
5) Unplug the electrical connectors for the turn signals/parking lights. ( dont want to rip them off while removing the bumper)
6) Remove the bumper.
as far as the white bar at the top, must see pics, I can only assume its the impact bar, if it is, youll have to remove the impact absorber (looks like a black plastic egg crate.must drill out all pop rivets(there are 9 of them) youll see them by looking for the semi-circular cutouts in the leading edge of the square above and below each rivet hole.)
after the impact absorber is off, removing the impact bar is a matter of unbolting the 4 retaining nuts(2 at each end)
Installation is reverse of removal, but youll have to use new pop rivets for the impact absorber.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:19 PM
forgot couple things, remove rad. cover and headlights, parking lights.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search