Clear coat issues - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clear coat issues
Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:29 PM
I'm having some clear coat issues with my left front fender it is fading really bad, and on my hood it chipped and i didnt find out it was until i took it to the carwash and hit it with the powerwasher and made a 5 inch hole in my clear coating.

any ways to fix these issues? like buffing or something?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Clear coat issues
Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:34 PM
waxing or even better buffing will only get rid of somewhat minor scraches, actual chips and waht not the only way to get rid of them would be sand them dow and fet the whole section re painted.....

but its probably not all that bad to spend that kind of money to get it repainted, but i would recomned to get a bit of touch up paint for the chips and claer coat it, it wont look perfect but it will prevent the paint from pealing and rust.........

and I should add, only you the owner of the car notices these little chips and scratches

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Monday, February 20, 2006 12:15 AM
no i would've let it go but now everybody notices it and i get red in the face when they ask me about it.

anybody have any more suggestions?

Monday, February 20, 2006 2:04 PM
can you take some close up pics.....i know my hood is in some rought shape, at least based on the year and i woul love to get mine repainted, its just not to the point that i get comments for it unless someone that sees it almost everyday........just want an idea of waht you are dealing with and seeing if i have any other suggestions.

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Monday, February 20, 2006 3:13 PM
thats awesome, yeah i'll get some pictures either tonight or tomorrow. thanks

Monday, February 20, 2006 4:05 PM
so basicly the clear peeled right off with high pressure water
the front end was repaintd and the only reason clear would come off or any product come off is due to poor preping , or contamantes on the metal
the only fixable solution is to go back down to metal and start all over again
yes it could be sanded down but then you have a risk of the material on there not working with a new material, and you will have more problems

so that`s what i would do

can i haz bondo
Monday, February 20, 2006 8:53 PM
well i dont understand why it happened, i noticed just something a little white and sprayed it and all the sudden i'm stuck with this big hole in my clear coat, i took pictures of it tonight and some of the faded fender. i'll post tomorrrow.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:32 AM
well i just told you why it happened, THE CAR WAS RE PAINTED IT IS COMING OFF DUE TO POOR PREPING THE PANEL

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:33 AM
thanks big daddy, i just meant i dont understand why it happened cause the paint WAS in perfect condition, but i follow you now.

since you seem to know your stuff about paint, last night my friend was helping me take off my side mouldings and ripped the one piece off, along with the paint right down to the metal, any advice to help cover it up temporarily?

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:04 AM
I know the feeling. The clear right above my drivers door is peeling REALLY bad. Ever time we get a cold snap it gets worse

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:15 AM
aghhhh

i just went outside and looked at the bad door, it looks so much worse in the day time

somebody help me out.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:52 PM
lol, no
it sounds to me like the car was repainted in allot of spots, the only way to fix it wold to have it re painted
taken back down to metal, and start all over again
and yes i do i am a body fender tech for the past 15 yrs i like to help people out in any way i can

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:33 PM

theres what i'm lookin at right now.....ugh.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:25 PM
Needs repainted like big daddy said.

About the bare metal... how soon can you get it to a shop? Leaving bare metal exposed in the elements is not a good thing... rust is not fun... and with the way the weather's been in PA....... yeah.

Do you have access to an air compressor? I'd say I could come up or something and help ya out with the bare metal problem until you can get it painted, but unless my brakes come in really soon... i can't drive long distances at all. Shoot me a PM or something

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search