Shaved handles cracked - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shaved handles cracked
Sunday, February 19, 2006 10:16 PM
my 2 front doors have very small cracks in them from where i put my hands to shut those crappy labos i had back in the day. I know the metal and welds did not crack. Im gonna remove any of the filler that is on top of the metal and refill it. What is a good filler to use in this case?

Re: Shaved handles cracked
Sunday, February 19, 2006 10:32 PM
i know my body guy uses something called "cream". he said its much better than bondo. *shrugs* i just know i got a killer paintjob for my bodykit and fenders. he restores porche, lotus, triumph, etc. for a living, so id trust that.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Monday, February 20, 2006 11:49 AM
How thick is the layer of bondo?
Monday, February 20, 2006 11:53 AM
we did not ude bondo, cant remember the name though. its super thin though

Monday, February 20, 2006 11:54 AM
If the filler is thick, it's more prone to crack. I used duraglass then dolphin glaze and they turned out real well.

Monday, February 20, 2006 12:00 PM
Use a long strand fiberglass filler then use a normal filler to fill it in..i like to use evercoat products..phil
Monday, February 20, 2006 12:02 PM
Maybe you can find a material out there that has a higher elastic properties instead of brittle properties?!?! i am not quite sure where you are talkin about these cracks being at, but bondo and substances like it are very brittle. Maybe like a silicon or something that would distribute stress or maybe shear in this case so the material woudl give and flex instead of just being so hard and brittle and crack under fatigue.

Cone
2000 ecotec cavalier
Monday, February 20, 2006 12:08 PM
yea, thanx for the help gang.

Monday, February 20, 2006 4:07 PM
body filler crakcs when applied to heavy or to thick and poor preping before filler applied
i like the 3m fiberglass and the evercoat filler and the evercoat metal glaze

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:55 AM
With me. I like grinding down with 24, 40, Clean the area.And use dynaglass/bondoglass and using the right amount of harder according to the outside temp ya need alittle time to shape. and using to much harder will dry it out too fast and crack it aswell. a small "skim" coat of bondo sand and prime<<<<metal. On bumpers I'd go with 40grit by hand. Machine is too quick and just heats up the plastic . Your looking to make grooves in the plastic not melt and warp it. Then go with depending on the size of the crack/hole fibreglass mat pre-cut the mat over lapping the crack and lay it on the opposite side of what your working on. 1 for reinforcement. 2 You have a backing so you now can fill it in and not have to keep adding and adding more filler. next fill it in with dynaglass and a skim coat of bondo...cleaning the areas is key. i've done 4 of my own cars this way and hundreds of others and never had any problems..

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:56 PM
i like to do any kind of metal work using a tig welder
i also like to cut the hole out and put in it place a new piece of metal not using the factory hole at all
there are allot of different ways of doin it to each its own

can i haz bondo

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search