Two tone paint job- how to - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Two tone paint job- how to
Sunday, January 22, 2006 5:59 PM
Okay, I need some info from someone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to automotive painting. I am definitely going to be doing a two-tone paint job sometime in the future. I need some things fixed around the bottom half of my car and I don't have enough red paint to repaint two bumpers and I know the red I have could never be matched perfectly.

Basically my question is how would I go about two toning the bottom half of my car silver with a graphite dividing line BUT keeping my current color on the top half. I don't want to repaint the upper part of my car. How can I avoid having an indention (raised line) from the fresh paint that would be applied? I do have an idea, but this is something I want to be 100% positive about before I start it. Repainting the entire car is not an option I really want to discuss. I know two toning this way has been done before. A step by step how to on how it's done would be absolutely perfect but any information is welcome.

Proud member of JBOK!

Re: Two tone paint job- how to
Sunday, January 22, 2006 6:09 PM
to remove the ridge after you paint it use turtle wax rubbing compound. it will smooth it right out. (learned this painting half a tib wing) you could also try going higher then the fresh paint with the clear coat to help blend it alittle. it should blend nicely. also my big thing would be keeping the rest of the car protected from over spray its really fun to get off.

im not sure if this makes any sense. if not let me know ant i will try to explain it better.
good luck with the paint job

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Sunday, January 22, 2006 8:21 PM
^^^^ummm ok ^^^^^^

first thing to do would be to disasemble the car, second would be to properly prep it for paint, do all body work, i would D.A. the car with 180 just to remove some of the old material that is already on the sheet metal

apply your primer, let that dry for about 2 to 3 days, i personally dry block with 120 then re apply one more coat of primer then wet sand with 320-400-600 and then go over the car with a grey scuff pad to get any shiny spots you might have missed

now i really can`t tell you where to put the line to do a 2 tone but i suggest to make the line flow with the cars body lines, to do graphics i use a paper called" sticky mickey" masking paper you draw the graphic on the paper transfer it to the car use a xatco knife to cut out the design mask off the rest of the car

there is really no correct way to remove a line from graphics the only way i found is to apply 4 coats of clear and wet sand the line gone and then apply the pin stripe after wet sanding it i use one shot lettering paint

bring the second color into the jambs as well, the whole car should be re cleared not just the second color, hence why i said the car should be torn down at least that`s the way i do it

the top color can be preped sanding just with 600-1,000 giving nothing is wrong with the sheet metal
it is very very time consuming, and experience and patient plays a big part in painting
i suggest take it to a shop let some one else do it if you are unsre

can i haz bondo
Sunday, January 22, 2006 8:42 PM
Quote:

Okay, I need some info from someone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to automotive painting.

Anyways...............Big Daddy pretty much hit it on the head

Monday, January 23, 2006 9:10 PM
Z2FLIP4 wrote:
Quote:

Okay, I need some info from someone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to automotive painting.

who's your daddy who's yoourrrrr ...sorry yeah . big daddy is right when your looking for a great paint job i you first have to have done a bad one to know why and how doing a two-tone not having done one before have a shop look at it

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Monday, January 23, 2006 9:22 PM
james roberts wrote:
Z2FLIP4 wrote:
Quote:

who's your daddy who's yoourrrrr ...sorry yeah . big daddy is right when your looking for a great paint job i you first have to have done a bad one to know why and how doing a two-tone not having done one before have a shop look at it

Thanks for the warning. I think we'll attempt it though. We'll practice on something that can be fixed and resprayed if we screw it up.
We painted my entire car the color it is right now and didn't frig it up-- I know two toning is diff, but I believe we can do it with a little practice.

Thanks so much Big Daddy that really did help a lot!!
=)

Proud member of JBOK!
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:39 AM
no problem

can i haz bondo
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search