Undercarriage flow. - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Undercarriage flow.
Monday, January 23, 2006 6:13 AM
well i got an odd question. How hard would it be to smooth out the undercarriage on a sunfire?

The front part under the engine and front bumper is easy, that i know, already working on it.

But to smooth out the rest before the rear torsion bar, would essentially mean i would either have to cover my exhaust system over, which is not a good idea, or channel it, and smooth the rest out. Neither of which is a simple Post/bar, sheet job.

I figure the best way is to cut the current jack rails off, Use new square tubing, double wide, as a new support point and then cover with sheet metal, welded into place. remove all the other preformed ribbing, and just sheet over and weld. The area after the torsion bar is somewhat easy too, especially if your muffler is camaro style.

Any ideas?

Re: Undercarriage flow.
Monday, January 23, 2006 6:33 AM
Why on earth do you want to do this ? Are you takeing a shot at a land speed record or just for looks ? No I'm not flaming you just trying to figure out what your trying to do.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, January 23, 2006 6:44 AM
Mostly just for looks, but if i get better aerodynamics that would be a plus tooo. I figure 1) it would be different, and 2) every little bit helps.

Monday, January 23, 2006 7:36 AM
Different, thats for sure! Anyway you go this isn't gonna be easy. Also those jack rails as you call them are where the floor and rocker panels are welded together. Removing them = more trouble then its worth! Leave them allone and use them as a starting point. If I were doing it I'd only plate up to the exhaust system tunnel and then it alone and open. Watch around the rear, make sure to leave PLENTY of room for movement.
then when you get to the rear you can have some fun ! Think about the diffusers you see on the rear of the different race cars, Id put them on yours too as it would look bad ass!

I hope this helps you

Monday, January 23, 2006 7:47 AM
Jackalope wrote:Different, thats for sure! Anyway you go this isn't gonna be easy. Also those jack rails as you call them are where the floor and rocker panels are welded together. Removing them = more trouble then its worth! Leave them allone and use them as a starting point. If I were doing it I'd only plate up to the exhaust system tunnel and then it alone and open. Watch around the rear, make sure to leave PLENTY of room for movement.
then when you get to the rear you can have some fun ! Think about the diffusers you see on the rear of the different race cars, Id put them on yours too as it would look bad ass!

I hope this helps you

That is exactly what i was thinking of Jackalope. Now i need to figure out the thickness of the sheet metal to use and how best to line it all up and how to support the sheet on the edges of the exhuast area.

Monday, January 23, 2006 7:51 AM
I'd go with just thin sheet aluminum cut to fit, edge it in a non-hardening caulk and then pop rivit it in place. Wipe off any caulk that peaks out from the sides and there you go.

Hows this sound?

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:11 AM
Hmmm, Sheet aluminum is a good idea, Though im thinking a bit more pricy way would be stainless steel, that way, it will be shiny for the shows and wont rust.

So it seems i got some more research to do, Mostly about material costs, and i need to find a rear diffuser that will look good on a sunfire.

Upon second though, id might have to make it all removeable because of the fuel lines, or maybe foam fill it.

I guess i still got alot of choices to make.

Any more info or ideas will be greatly apreciated.

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:32 AM
Stainless is gonna cost you! BIG! Aluminum doesn't rust either and can be polished to mirror like shine. Just look at some of the big rigs fuel tanks and bumpers as evidence to that. This really shouldn't be that hard to do. As for the fuel lines, they aren't an issue either. Just cover over them and where the filter is you can either make a small door and still rivit it closed. When it comes time to replace it just drill the rivits and open the door. Close it and rivit shut again.

This could actualy look good.

Monday, January 23, 2006 1:57 PM
it would need to be removable for oilchanges and such.

Monday, January 23, 2006 2:00 PM
nothin glike a good old fashion Fuego thread.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=1&i=333805&t=333704#333805
Monday, January 23, 2006 2:17 PM
Juicez99cav wrote:nothin glike a good old fashion Fuego thread.

Your just jelous you didnt think of it first. LOL. My sunfire is not my daily driver anymore, so projects like this will have interesting comments at the shows.

Monday, January 23, 2006 2:17 PM
Big Boi -Coloradojbody.org- wrote:it would need to be removable for oilchanges and such.

The front section is almost completely done, that is a mute issue now.

Monday, January 23, 2006 2:44 PM
I think mercedes cars have this bubble plastic piece on the underside of some of their cars to make them more aero

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Monday, January 23, 2006 5:15 PM
What is the point of covering the bottom of your car and smoothing it out for aerodynamics, when the weight of the @!#$ you're gonna use to smooth it out in the case of using aluminum, will counter any gains you would ever possibly gain by this. Not to mention you'd need to be going pretty fast to notice anything.
Monday, January 23, 2006 7:30 PM
Red Alert wrote:What is the point of covering the bottom of your car and smoothing it out for aerodynamics, when the weight of the @!#$ you're gonna use to smooth it out in the case of using aluminum, will counter any gains you would ever possibly gain by this. Not to mention you'd need to be going pretty fast to notice anything.

My #1 reason is for Show.... How many show cars do you see with a smoothed out undercarraige? I have seen none, And went to 35 seperate shows last year.

Monday, January 23, 2006 7:40 PM
lets see...

usually people try to loose weight, not gain it

usually people try to keep their car cool, and not retain heat

because of aerodynamics?

might as well drive around with your windows up in the summer time..its basically the same thing...

Portage, MI
Monday, January 23, 2006 9:30 PM
I give up, explaining the simplest of reasons to you folks.

NEXT TIME READ, DAMMIT!

ITS FOR SHOW!!!!!!!

Monday, January 23, 2006 9:47 PM
been to alot of shows cant say i ever looked at the bottom of any vehicles, other than the huge 4x4s.

Monday, January 23, 2006 9:56 PM
Btw, We were just talking about materials, if some of you people are so worried about weight on a show car, try plastic, like on WRC cars. yeash.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:09 AM
Well thin sheet aluminum is pretty light weight so thats not a real issue. I think he'd gain maybe 10 pounds at most from everything I suggested. I don't know about you guys but 10 pounds doesn't make or brake a car weight wise.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:34 AM
i dunno who the fsk is gonna look at the underside of your car.....and actually think that a flat undercaraige is "neat" cause i would be like "dam, wtf did he just waste his time on that for. and if you want your car ready for show you better clean up that engine bay, and get a new non rusted header. what kinda car show are you entering?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:35 AM
I think a covered underside would be cool. The only real downfall is that when you drive like that, if you hit anything on the road like a pothole or something big enough to hit that metal, if its not secure enough it'll just dent and possible push it up into something like the exhaust, or axels or something. I think the idea is cool though. Wouldn't have to worry about rusting the underside of your engine, lol
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:59 AM
WRC cars aren't show cars, so your point is not really all that valid. Plus I doubt plastic would give you major show points dawg.

I'd concentrate on other things before this if you're so worried about "show".

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:13 AM
No need to hate guys. He was just asking a question.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:24 AM
Ok i see your point if it is just for show. But i don't see the point on why? How are you going to show it? Are you gonna jack it up and put mirrors on the ground to do so?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search