How to mount mesh grill to your front bumper? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to mount mesh grill to your front bumper?
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:20 PM
Ok i am just wondering what i can use to mount some mesh to my front bumper....

Reason is because here in Calgary they use TONS of gravel on the roads for winter (even though we have no snow) i still get rocks kicked up at my car and i do not want one of these tiny rockets going threw my intercooler... or just denting up all the fins...

Also i am sure it cant be done but is there any way i could have it so i could remove the mesh in the summer? and put it back in for winter? as i love the look of a nice big intercooler sitting behind the bumper for summer time...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno

Re: How to mount mesh grill to your front bumper?
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:35 PM
i would reccomend masonry mesh. Its stronger than gutter guard and can take a few extra hits from rocks.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:00 AM
ZIP TIES !!!!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:15 PM
My whole car is held together with zip ties...its the invention of the century.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:25 PM
i used hot glue and it works great. its held through a lot of crap! and i just used a heat gun and removed a peice and put a new one on.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:26 PM
liquid nails

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:43 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]liquid nails

thats what i used

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:49 PM
I have masonry mesh in my front bumper openings. I got about eight feet of it for around $6.00 at Menard's. I highly recommend it. It is very strong and durable. It is also galvanized which means it won't rust. It's so thick that any shape you bend it into will hold no problem. I bent mine into the shapes of the lower openings and put a few screws through the bottom of the bumper to hold the mesh in place. The mesh that's in the upper openings is not held in place by anything because that part of the bumper is so close to the frame of the car. I simply bent the mesh into the shapes of the openings and set it behind the openings. None of the mesh has moved an inch since it was installed.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:09 PM
^^^^^^ Thats why i switched to masonry mesh.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:19 PM
I had had Gutter Guard installed at first and it looked so cheap and ghetto . I happened to meet up with a guy with a Cavalier who had masonry mesh and I asked him about where he had gotten it, etc. A while later I went to my local Menard's and bought some. It looks so much better than Gutter Guard.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:35 PM
Phranny19 wrote:[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]liquid nails

thats what i used

hummm that might work... but do you think you would be able to heat it up and pull the mesh off later on?

J TO ENVY - yea i like the look of that....

silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:37 AM
I would definitely recommend using screws or zip ties, especially if you want to be able to remove the mesh for warmer weather. Also, Liquid Nails might screw up the paint. I used it when I installed the Gutter Guard and it marred my paint in a few small places . Fortunately, it's probably only noticeable to me.

Friday, January 06, 2006 9:21 AM
i dont know if it removes paint but i know it breaks away easy so if something big does hit the mesh, instead of the screws ripping out of the bumper, the mesh would just come out

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:15 AM
I bought some automotive goop made by the people who make shoe goo and used the little clamps for mine. It is the masonry mesh as well. just make sure that when you install it you have it turned the right way. One way it will look thicker and shiny and the other way will look skinny and very bad looking. Hope this helps ya.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:15 AM
fiberglass
make some metal tabs about 1 inch long, olace them around the area to be covered with grill and then place some fiberglass over the tabs, once hardened attach the grill, very simple and will last forever.
Friday, January 06, 2006 11:14 AM
^^ thats how i did mine and iv had no problem.. its also helpful and easy if u need to remove the grill

www.cardomain.com/id/pondsz24
Friday, January 06, 2006 11:35 AM
i used screws

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Friday, January 06, 2006 7:26 PM
doubler wrote:fiberglass
make some metal tabs about 1 inch long, olace them around the area to be covered with grill and then place some fiberglass over the tabs, once hardened attach the grill, very simple and will last forever.

i cant picture how thats done...

Friday, January 06, 2006 7:45 PM
liquid nails > screws. gah i wouldnt put more screw holes in my WW kit then i need to

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:36 PM
doubler wrote:fiberglass

Thats how I done mine except I used 3500 lb.. Epoxy..

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:42 AM
what did you guys use to make these exciting little metal tabs???

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 1:23 PM
Definetly do the tabs, it looks so much cleaner, and it's easy to remove any time you want to paint or whatever. I was lucky, my first bumper came with the tabs already fiberglassed in.

"Man with my windows tinted and badges gone I'll be able to do 200 mph easy. Do stickers add horsepower?"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search