Question on Molding a Spoiler onto Trunk - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question on Molding a Spoiler onto Trunk
Monday, December 12, 2005 6:06 PM
Well, I'm going to attempt to mold this spoiler from an eclipse onto my Sunfire.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-Eclipse-00-04-Spoiler-New-Painted-Wing-ABS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQitemZ8020350551QQrdZ1

Here is an attempted photoshop for an idea.

Now, obviously the eclipse trunk lid is flat, and the sunfire trunk lid is curved, so I would need to create some sort of mount to fit flush with the sunfire trunk and attach to the spoiler. Any suggestions on how to go about this, or what material to use? Thanks in advance.

Wide Body Progress

Re: Question on Molding a Spoiler onto Trunk
Monday, December 12, 2005 6:15 PM
honestly take it to a shop. if you dont even know where to begin dont start w/ something like this. try bonding 2 things together first and smoothin' them out rather than doing something this big.

Monday, December 12, 2005 7:02 PM
Well, I just need some guidance. I've done a decent amount of fiberglassing on houses that I paint during the summer. I fiberglassed a few spots on my car that were starting to rust. I just need a general idea of how to go about this. I will definatly do some more practice before I attempt this. Would it be best to, say, make a mount out of something like wood, attach it to the spoiler, then mold it onto the trunk lid, or is there a better way?

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:05 PM
that is a plastic wing your deck lid is METAL tryin to bond/ and or mold anything to the both of them will be like tryin to mix water and oil together it will not work

can i haz bondo
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:05 AM
big daddy wrote:that is a plastic wing your deck lid is METAL tryin to bond/ and or mold anything to the both of them will be like tryin to mix water and oil together it will not work

Ok, well then how do you suggest that I go about doing this?

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:51 AM
I suggest that you avoid doing it. Not only will you have issues with what 'big daddy' is saying (and it appears from previous posts that he knows his stuff), but you will also have issues in that everytime you shut yout trunk lid, the reverberations will work to further seperate the spoiler from the trunk lid. It would be difficult enough if you were trying to bond plastic to stationary metal (such as your 1/4 panel) but trying to bond it to moving parts that shake makes it that much more difficult.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:09 AM
The couple responses so far are very true unless you have a way of bolting it every 6 inches, or it is a stiffer material like fiberglass, if not then listen to these guys, it will shake any type of filler loose.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:13 AM
Oh, reason #3 to avoid doing this...

From your profile:
Quote:

Future:

Summer
JL Audio 12W7
Motegi MR7 18” Gunmetal Rims w/ Kuhmo Tires
Vibrant Type-V Strut Bar Combo - Front & Rear Set in Red
AEM Cold Air Intake
K&N Performance Air Filter

A constantly rattling trunk lid would be infinitely worse in separating the spoiler from the lid than shutting the trunk would be...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:51 PM
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:Oh, reason #3 to avoid doing this...

From your profile:
Quote:

Future:

Summer
JL Audio 12W7
Motegi MR7 18” Gunmetal Rims w/ Kuhmo Tires
Vibrant Type-V Strut Bar Combo - Front & Rear Set in Red
AEM Cold Air Intake
K&N Performance Air Filter

A constantly rattling trunk lid would be infinitely worse in separating the spoiler from the lid than shutting the trunk would be...

hehe. Very good point. I guess this will be a no go. Thanks to everyone who offered me suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:38 PM
I wouldnt mold I would just install it. I havent seen a sunfire with that spoiler so it would be different and custom. go for atleast installing it. I think in the end you'll be very pleased with the result.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:16 AM
The01Cav wrote:I wouldnt mold I would just install it. I havent seen a sunfire with that spoiler so it would be different and custom. go for atleast installing it. I think in the end you'll be very pleased with the result.

That, I haven't seen it either, and i think it would look good. I would just need to figure out how to make some mounts so that it would @!#$ flush with the lid, since the Sunfire's lids curve and the eclipse ones are flat.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:42 AM
It should still mount fine I dont see it being much of a hassle. did you take measurements though to make sure width and all is correct? I'm pretty sure you have if you are already this into it. I think that you could deff make it work though good luck with it.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:49 PM
The01Cav wrote:It should still mount fine I dont see it being much of a hassle. did you take measurements though to make sure width and all is correct? I'm pretty sure you have if you are already this into it. I think that you could deff make it work though good luck with it.

Yea I took measurments and it's fine on width. The thing I'm worried about with mounting is the fact that the eclipse trunk lid is flat, as the sunfire surves downward. I want the soiler to be flat, so I'd have to make some sort of mount to make up for the curve of the sunfire hood. Here are a few pics to show what I mean.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:58 PM
you'd have to make some sort of wedge shape that would fit onto the sunfire's curved trunk, and be level on top for the eclipse's bottom. not really sure what would work best for that though.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 7:11 PM
Well that wing looks OEM so its prob ABS or urethane. Hard materials to retrofit to another car. I wouldnt bother becuz to me it looks like way too much of a difference in slants, but I molded a Civic wing on my Cavalier so anything is possible, just depends on how much bodywork experience u have.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 7:33 PM
cannon fodder wrote:you'd have to make some sort of wedge shape that would fit onto the sunfire's curved trunk, and be level on top for the eclipse's bottom. not really sure what would work best for that though.

Yea, thats what I figured... just didnt know what would be the best material to use...

Wide Body Progress

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search