Chop top - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Chop top
Monday, December 12, 2005 4:39 AM
I want to do a chop top on my sunfire, I am thinking just a few inches 2-3? not sure, I need a really good body guy to give me a quote on the chop top, parts labor, new glass, everything except for paint, that I can take care of. I think this would look sick and nobody has a chopped sunfire, let me know what you all think of the idea and if any good body guys are in here run an estimate down for me.

Re: Chop top
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:02 AM
There is a dude on here that has a cavalier with a chop top. Can't remember his name though.

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:38 AM
^^^i think it was a green sunfire that did it. but dont think he ever completed it.

RIP Kasey Burleson, and get well soon Chris Shelly

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:45 AM
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:There is a dude on here that has a cavalier with a chop top. Can't remember his name though.

I remember seeing that one too... thought it was in one of the JOTM threads, but don't remember which one.

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:11 AM
his name is dave with the white/red cav, i hope you do a better job then he did on his chop

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:31 AM
you cant get an estimate online. you need to go to a shop thats gonna do the work because each place charges differently. someone was quoted 2k just to have the work fully done w/o paint

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:48 AM
thugn$ is that a real targa top fire??? that looks amazing
sorry to get off topic.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:52 AM
^^^no, its a PS chop

RIP Kasey Burleson, and get well soon Chris Shelly

Monday, December 12, 2005 2:07 PM
Eazy (no switches no bitches) wrote:^^^i think it was a green sunfire that did it. but dont think he ever completed it.

you're thinking of ratindahat, he tried to t-top his sunfire. not sure if he ever finished it, but i know he's sold it a long time ago.

Monday, December 12, 2005 2:14 PM
correction, he tried to targa top his cav and failed. too much work and couldnt get the strenght for the roof so he ended up w/ t-tops but the t-tops were completed

Monday, December 12, 2005 2:21 PM
There was a cavy that did a 5" chop top..
Cavalier w/ 5" Chop Top

Monday, December 12, 2005 3:56 PM
Yeah, that's the guy that I was thinking of...

Here's his member registry

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:34 PM
2" would look hot!

There's 2 shops here in GA who specialize in chop tops on hot rods. They both quoted me about 1k with no garuntee on OEM look afterwards. They said they're used to chopping bel airs and mercs where they could easily chop it and it would still fit correctly after some heat was put on it. The cav is already a slick design unlike the boxy cars from their time and they would have to extend a bit on all the pillars besides the B.

That's why I believe Dave eventually ended up with 5" chopped off because a cavalier/sunfires roof design is already slick. A 2" chop at the beginning would eventually end up being a 4-5" chop if you still wanted it to look descent.

Hard to explain but go to a local hardcore hotrod shop and ask them. That's the reason most imports you see now a days don't even go that far because they were designed with that slick style from the get go and wouldn't benefit from a chop unless it was drastic!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Monday, December 12, 2005 5:39 PM
How tall are you?

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:19 PM
haha 6'6" but I am a big sloucher, I was also thinking about putting in racing seats and getting them real close to the floor pan, the stock seats are probaly what a good 2.5" inches above the floor?
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:02 PM
there is allot of work involved in choping a top like making the door frames smaller
the biggest one is making new glass yes you will have to have new glass made to fit the chopped top
allot of work and allot of money
just to give you a idea the last one i did the final price was at 5,000 and most of that was labor and gettin new glass made
have fun and good luck you will need it

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 7:18 PM
I was also thinking about the 3 rear windows ( small driv and pass side and rear windshield ) when I get the custom glass made back there I was thinking of that light weight glass, might as well do a weight reduction while I'm at it. I was thinking if you had to guesstimate how much weight I would save with a chop top ( ie less roof metal, smaller door frames, smaller pillars, smaller windows, lightweight glass, etc. ) what do you guys think?
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 7:37 PM
The Internet is the worst place to get bodywork advice. Go to a shop and ask. You cant teach or show hands on material over a keyboard.

As with all custom work there is no set price or time table, you can run into problems once you start cutting/redoing so its pretty much a pay-at-the-end kinda thing. You can get ballpark figures but they are usually off by quite a bit.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:34 PM
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:38 PM
blink 777069 wrote:http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=161087&t=161015#161087
Link was already posted in the thread.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search