Window Tint, Hows ur dot matrix look? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Window Tint, Hows ur dot matrix look?
Sunday, December 11, 2005 5:52 PM
kinda a newb question.. but i plan to get my back windows tinted.. 10% on all 3 rears.. Anyway.. the shop said they will put vinyl over the dot matrix.. now, is this like teh visor strip vinyl? Cuz im assuming they put it inside and usally isnt that white on the underside? Now i also dont think it would look to good on the outside.. Just need some pics and maybe some tint installers to maybe tell me what exactly it is.. Also i have heard about painting them.. like spray paint or what? Like i said this is sumwhat a noob question and i searched and didnt really find my answers...

Re: Window Tint, Hows ur dot matrix look?
Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:02 PM
I have a strip of black vinyl put on the back window of both my cavs. What i had them do is start the vinyl at the top of the rear window and I had it go down untill it touched the first line of the rear defrost line. It goes on the outside of the car and it does not look white on the inside of the car. It is black. Whatever color you are using on the outside is what will be see on the inside. But since the window is tinted, you won't be able to see the color inside anyway. It will look fine, and look very clean. They use the vinyl to cover the dot matrix because tint does not stick very well.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=1&i=333805&t=333704#333805
Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:11 PM

Here is what mine looks like on my Z. Hope it helps you out a little. I tried to get a pic of the inside, but it was too hard to tell what the hell the pic is. The line from the vinyl isn't that noticable, it's just that my car is dirty as heck.

I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:28 PM
here is my buddy's

Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:34 PM
Mine looks like crap. I think I'm going to do the black vinyl thing.

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:36 PM
yellow22, that is the idea i thought but i want black.. since they dont make Manta Green vinyl strips.. i've asked bout gettin some made but it to xpensive.. id rather just have black lmao..

juice.. can u take like a wet rag and wipe down ur rear window.. i want a clean view of if there is much noticable difference from it

Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:14 PM

DAMIT, you made me work. Hope that helps. The line is really noticible from the flash from the camera. in day light you can hardly see where teh vinyl starts and stops. you owe me.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:17 PM
yellow22 wrote:here is my buddy's

what % is that?

Juicez99cav....what % are you runnin.

i'm baaaaack!!
Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:22 PM
i plan 2 do it! looks like shiot! or dog poop! which ever one works!

^ my cavy of course.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:31 PM
Crap all I have to say...

Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:37 PM
Looks like GARBAGE

Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:07 PM
the tint shop around here puts it on the inside. cant even tell at all.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:41 PM
5% all the way around

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:04 AM
Both of my cavs have had the black vinyl over the dot matrix. Sometimes, you can't even tell that the vinyl is there unless you get right up on it.

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:13 AM
Do all the cavy's that get tinted have to have that vynal? because I"m getting my club vynal put up there and my windows tinted I just wanted to know if you "HAD" to have it? or will it be a spot that's not tinted?

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:30 AM
05CaVaLiErBaRkIn3Rd wrote:Do all the cavy's that get tinted have to have that vynal? because I"m getting my club vynal put up there and my windows tinted I just wanted to know if you "HAD" to have it? or will it be a spot that's not tinted?

Nothing says you have to do it. A lot of professional tinters have trouble getting tint to stick to the dot matrix and look good. Some people on here claim to have it done, though. Two different professional tinters did mine and neither one of them would try to tint over the dot matrix. So it's either find a tinter that will try to do it (and take a chance at it looking awful) or put the vinyl over all the ugly dots.....your choice.

But if you're getting your club vinyl puy over it, why not get someone to tint up to the dot matrix and then put your own vinyl strip over it afterwards?

Monday, December 12, 2005 6:38 AM
If you get it done...Have them do it from the outside and make the perfect cut. That's the way I had mine done and you can't notice it at all.

Monday, December 12, 2005 7:51 AM
Monday, December 12, 2005 9:51 AM
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:
A lot of professional tinters have trouble getting tint to stick to the dot matrix and look good. Some people on here claim to have it done, though. Two different professional tinters did mine and neither one of them would try to tint over the dot matrix. So it's either find a tinter that will try to do it (and take a chance at it looking awful) or put the vinyl over all the ugly dots.....your choice.

both my cavs and my buddys cav look perfect
i think i found my professional
it cost a butt load...but its worth it when you see other cavs with the horrid tint

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:32 AM
Im assuming that banner on the bagged yellow cav was custom. What font is that done in?

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:18 AM
I got all my windows tinted, and my front and rear vinyl stripe, plus my Batman symbol for 200.00. I thought that it was fair. Otherwise the vinyl strip that I had put on the rear window of my other cav was like 25.00.

Monday, December 12, 2005 12:53 PM
my tint goes over the dot matrix, it isnt that bad u can tell its got bubbles... doesnt really bother me tho cuz u cant see it outside, and u cant notice it from the drivers seat and nobodies every said it looks bad so its all good... i need to get the rear window tinted again as i took a chunk off when i was cleaning the rear deck...

Monday, December 12, 2005 1:51 PM
Well i called the place that was gonna tint my windows and they can only do 15%.. they said they use glue.. Well i called the place some of my buddies got their done around here and they'll do 5%.. they said they paint it.. don't know what kinda paint but they paint it.. I plan to get it done at the closer place so i can get 5%.. im only gettin the rear 3 windows tinted till i can get new doors and windows..then ill tint my front ones.. Some people say that they cant see out their back window with 5% even with reverse lights.. sucks im shaving and gettin rid of mine.. ill just have to carry a flashlight lmao. Thanks for the help guys.. Also do you guys get ur top windshield tinted or just put the vinyl there also?

Monday, December 12, 2005 2:35 PM
Manta Z wrote: Also do you guys get ur top windshield tinted or just put the vinyl there also?

You can do either or really. If you get the window tint, then ask them top put a peice of black vinyl on the outside of the car on top of where the rearview mirror sits. Otherwise there will be a silver square in the middle of your tint. But you can still see out the entire windsheild, and it will block out the sun pretty good too. If you use vinyl, then you won't have to worry about seeing the silver square from the rearview mirror, but then you can't see out were the vinyl is on the windshield. You get used to it eitheway. I would suggest the window tint and the vinyl to cover the mirror, over the vinyl all the across.

Monday, December 12, 2005 3:26 PM
Here is my dot m

They did the whole window in tint no vinyl crap on mine

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search