Blackish door trim - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blackish door trim
Friday, November 25, 2005 4:23 PM
Sorry i cant be more precise, but the black trim on the edges of the front and rear door as per the B pillar.

The finish is peeling pretty bad, do you think a black vinyl sheet withh stay put there?

Re: Blackish door trim
Friday, November 25, 2005 4:25 PM
it'd be worth a try. they're a pain to get from the dealership (had mine replaced like 4 times while under warranty). i never thought of just covering them with vinyl. maybe peel the rest of it off and hit them with some real fine sand paper. then just clean 'em good. let me know if it works, mine are starting to peel again and i'm not under warranty anymore.

GO PATS!!!
Friday, November 25, 2005 11:28 PM
forget the vinyl, buy the carbon fiber ones. it'll look way better.

Saturday, November 26, 2005 7:04 AM
so are you talkin about the door applique?? if so they are like 20 bucks new

can i haz bondo
Saturday, November 26, 2005 9:02 AM
ShiftyCav wrote:forget the vinyl, buy the carbon fiber ones. it'll look way better.

Where are the CF ones?

Saturday, November 26, 2005 9:31 AM
or hit it with some fine grit steel wool and paint or dye them... i think thats what ian lacey did quite a while back

Saturday, November 26, 2005 9:51 AM
I have 4 of them on my car-- all of them damn things were fading and peeling away..

I pulled them all off- and had a local shop paint them gloss black for a case of beer..

They look great !

Sunday, November 27, 2005 7:31 AM
^^that sounds like a good idea. its just double sided tape right?

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, November 27, 2005 8:50 AM
Nope.

You have to peel back the weather stripping from inside the door frame-- lower the window, peel it out of the channel.. Remove the 2-3 screws inside there..

On the inside of the door on the metal- closer to the latch--theres a screw holding on the rubber door trim that runs parallel with the ground-- Remove that screw.

Take off the horizontal door trim... The vertical trim has to be pulled out (screw side) and then slid away from the door towards the rear of the car..

Its basically hooked on & then screwed..

Monday, November 28, 2005 12:04 PM
well damn...i'll still do it. probably just take me longer to get around to now that i know how much is involved

GO PATS!!!
Monday, November 28, 2005 12:41 PM
i saw marc's yesterday and they came out really good. mine started to fade too. i talked to nikki about it when she was paintin' my kit and she told me they dont hold paint very well so i got the cf covers from aplus

Monday, November 28, 2005 12:43 PM
how much?

i dont know how much of a fan i am of carbon fiber but i need something thats not gonna fad, peel. how long have you had the cf one's on your car?

GO PATS!!!
Monday, November 28, 2005 12:48 PM
ive had them on for about 4-5 months now. i think they were only like 50 bucks. its just an sticky 3m backing that you stick to the pillar. looks much better than the faded black

Monday, November 28, 2005 1:01 PM
I just took the easy way out and bought new ones from the dealer.

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Monday, November 28, 2005 1:38 PM
i tried ordering from the dealer and after 3 months of them telling me "they'll be a few more days" i got pissed off. i called and asked if they were in yet, they said yes, i said good, send them back.

idiots

GO PATS!!!
Monday, November 28, 2005 1:51 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]i saw marc's yesterday and they came out really good. mine started to fade too. i talked to nikki about it when she was paintin' my kit and she told me they dont hold paint very well so i got the cf covers from aplus

i might just be blind, but i didnt see them on aplus.

Monday, November 28, 2005 1:55 PM
try emailin' him. i know he ran a gp on them a while back. he might not have them on his site

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search