Are VIS CF hoods real carbon fiber? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Are VIS CF hoods real carbon fiber?
Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:30 PM
Just wondering if the VIS hoods are 100% CF... I heard they we mostly fiberglass with a couple of CF layers to make them look like it.

Re: Are VIS CF hoods real carbon fiber?
Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:40 PM
yes, they are FULL carbon fiber unlike the cheaper hoods that are fiberglass underneath.... i have an evo styled hood and fawking love it... great fit, and great look you will be very happy with it if you pick one up

Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:43 PM
How do you know that it is fully CF? Sure it may be light but I had held a TRUE CF OEM hood for a race car and its way lighter than a VIS CF hood

Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:46 PM
i know it is, because i see the hood flex like a mother every time i prop the hood. fiberglass is very brtittle and doesnt flex this much, it would crack first... and i was also told by the distributer

Thursday, November 24, 2005 6:08 PM
its a fiberglass hood wrapped in carbon fiber vynal

Thursday, November 24, 2005 6:34 PM
^ LMAO

Thursday, November 24, 2005 7:05 PM
Simple way to know is shine a light on one side of the hood and look through it on the other side if you can see light coming through its all cf if not it has a fiberglass skeleton. Either way still very light weight.

Thursday, November 24, 2005 8:06 PM
I had a VIS EVO hood, and it wasn't completely carbon fiber. It had what VIS called a "plastic fiber" underside, which makes it lightweight and flexible, according to VIS. But the top is real carbon fiber, and top notch stuff at that. BTW, my VIS hood was extremely light compared to my stock hood.

Friday, November 25, 2005 10:31 AM
you will not find a 100% full carbon fiber hood for sale, the fitment sucks, the quiality isn't good, its meant for all out race cars and generally not even sold to the public

Friday, November 25, 2005 11:38 AM
^^^ not entirely, My friend has one from jdmsh*t.com on his hatch that is 100% carbon fiber and its very nice, and I know of another on a civic coupe, Ive only seen them on Civics tho, whether they even make one for a cavy or not I dunno.

Friday, November 25, 2005 2:01 PM
So most cf hoods , they are a hood with a fiberglass skelton wrapped in carbon fibre, the vis cf hoods cant be just a fiberglass hood with a cf vinyl on it, can it be?
That would suck paying more for a hood because it is suppose to be cf, and really its just a vinyl ; there's got to be some real cf in the hood.

98 j-body sedan

Friday, November 25, 2005 5:13 PM
terry denomme wrote:So most cf hoods , they are a hood with a fiberglass skelton wrapped in carbon fibre, the vis cf hoods cant be just a fiberglass hood with a cf vinyl on it, can it be?
That would suck paying more for a hood because it is suppose to be cf, and really its just a vinyl ; there's got to be some real cf in the hood.

lmao Noo its not a fiberglass skeleton wrapped in vinyl. I had a VIS on my Integra, Its a fiberglass skeleton very thin layer for structural integrity with a layer of carbon fiber laid over the skeleton and wrapped around the edges (with VIS and other grade AA hoods) then coated with a gel coat.

Friday, November 25, 2005 5:31 PM
I heard vis makes some really good quality hoods, and thats what i will be getting a vis CF invader hood for my sunfire; will this hood be worth my money you think?
Thanks, any yes i do ask some stupid questions from time to time,LOL...... sorry..

98 j-body sedan

Friday, November 25, 2005 8:38 PM
good quality... just dont plan on painting it.... then it wont be soo good anymore

dam thing will wave at ya more than a highschool prom queen in a parade

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Saturday, November 26, 2005 8:19 AM
Really moves around out on the highway does she; can i amgine, my oem steel hood does, i cant imagine cf, thats why the reccoment hood pins eh..

98 j-body sedan

Saturday, November 26, 2005 8:03 PM
actually that part isnt so bad...

i was reffering to the not so smooth finish on it

looks good as cf.. but itf you paint it... looks like a drunken body man blocksanded it with playdough

Sunday, November 27, 2005 5:53 AM
Yeah thats probally why most people dont paint CF hood eh, Did you paint your cf hood exesive fire? it turns out rough the finish?

98 j-body sedan

Sunday, November 27, 2005 1:13 PM
i was going to... till i noticed how bad it would be....

i think darkstars had the same issue but im not sure

Monday, November 28, 2005 6:25 AM
We had a 99 prelude come in the recon shop last week with a vis invader hood. For what ever reason he decided to paint the entire hood black to match his black car and like said above.....the entire hood was wavy from the carbon weave under the paint.

Monday, November 28, 2005 6:52 AM
yeah I had that problem, but noone ever warned me ahead of time hahah

all in alll I'm happy with the results though, I couldn't have had the eyelids molded in unless it was painted to hide the work that had been done.

Monday, November 28, 2005 1:41 PM
Dude with the prelude must have had the money, damm a cf hood on a a black car cant match any better. I WANT A cf hood for my car, and my car is aqua,lol.....

98 j-body sedan

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:42 PM
anybody buy a vis c/f invader hood on ebay for a sunfire? do they fit preetty good?
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:50 AM
Terry: actually some people do it for show purposes, and some do it for the weight reduction.

the hood would have a fiberglass shell to it, then that would be wrapped in c/f, making a full c/f hood would be a BIG PITA for a company to do

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:40 PM
I am wantting one for the looks, oem hood is just boreing me now, and i want it for the weight reduction.
So the cf hoods, not 100% cf, but they still have real cf in them right?
And they are lighter the fiberglass hoods right?
thanks.

98 j-body sedan

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:45 PM
Yes, they have real carbon fiber on them. I think they are lighter than the fiberglass hoods, but i'm not 100% sure. All I know, it my VIS hood was really light compared to my stock hood.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search