Flip Flop Trunk - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flip Flop Trunk
Saturday, October 08, 2005 9:07 AM
Hey ive got a question on how a flip flop trunk is supposed to work for a pontiac sunfire. Can anyone give some detailed intructions on how to do this being that a sunfire's trunk is different from everything else? it would be much aprreciated. I am trying to do this with triangle hinges from a hardware store so if neone could help me out that would be gr8. thnks

Re: Flip Flop Trunk
Saturday, October 08, 2005 10:14 AM
i dont know if the cav trunk is the same as the fires but here it is flip flip trunk instructions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^CAVRIDER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Saturday, October 08, 2005 11:18 AM
dont do it.lol

Saturday, October 08, 2005 2:24 PM
i second that... i hated my flip flop trunk when i got it done... it was a pita to close...

Saturday, October 08, 2005 3:42 PM
Flip Flop Trunk Project For 1995+ Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire

This method is the spacer method where you don't cut the trunk arms... It has also been referred to as the high flip trunk.

1. You will need to get 2 hinges, 6-10mm bolts probably about 2 inches long, and some 3/4 Brake line pipe or Plumbing metal pipe to use as a spacer on the bolts...

2. Un-bolt the trunk arms from the trunk lid... put the trunk lid off to the side....

3. Put your back seat down... remove the plastic pieces, and fabric in the back of the car above the rear speakers... you will now find the 6 bolts, 3 on each arm the hold the trunk arms to the car. These are the 6 bolts that will need replaced by the longer bolts you have bought. Take the six bolts out... the arms are now unbolted.

4. You are now going to have to make spacers out of the metal piping. I do not know the exact length need for these spacers but it will be somewhere around an inch... This is because you are going to mount the trunk arms on the bottom of the trunk lid. Due to this you gain an inch and the trunk lid will not mount up right with out the spacers. The spacers get rid of the extra play from mounting the arms on the bottom of the lid... this is the main concept of this mod... To get the exact size of spacer needed u will have to measure the difference between where the trunk arms are normally and where they are where you mount them on the bottom with the hinges....

5. Bolt the trunk arms back to the car using the longer bolts and the spacers. Now your trunk arms will be mounted about and inches lower then there were stock.

6. Mount the hinges you bought to the end or the arm on the top of them. I’m not sure how to exactly explain this part but u want the top of the hinge to be on the top of the arm and be completely flat... this means your want the circular part where the pin in the hinge is located to be pointed down... screw the hinges onto the arms....

7. put the trunk lid back on the car with the trunk arms down.... climb in thru your car to the trunk... mark the trunk lid where the hinges meet up with the trunk lid... or with a helper or if you have the ability just screw the hinge into the trunk lid....
The main concept behind the mod is this.... you mount the trunk arms on the bottom of the trunk with hinges.... this will cause the trunk to be about an inch higher... so you lower where the arms connect with the car by the same amount and the trunk lid will meet up where it did stock... you do this by making the spacers..

You must have a helper on this step! When you push the arms down, set the trunk on & latch it. You must position it in place & have it held there while you're in the trunk. If you don’t have some extra hands for about 5 minutes the back of the trunk will pop up & your marks will be off. With out help this step is impossible. Also one thing different that I did since you last saw it is I replaced the hinges & mounted it with rivets. The bolts seemed to wiggle out. You could use bolts if you tap the holes.

8. There is a problem with this mod that the trunk needs to be closed using both hands because the hinges make the trunk unstable. This can be fixed by putting two supports from side to side where the stock bolt locations are found for the truck.... I did not come up with this idea so I’m not an expert on this...

9. I'm not sure exactly how far the trunk will flip. You might have to get some l brackets and form them so the will only allow the lid to go so far.

10. I'm sure there are some little things here and there to make the mod better and I will leave them up for you to figure out......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search