Clearing stock corners ? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clearing stock corners ?
Saturday, October 08, 2005 9:34 AM
hey guys im new here just bought my 99 Z24 cavi yesterday woohoo but im on an extreemly low budget as in i dont even have enough to pay for first months insurance on it untill next payday anyways shes just sitting there lookin pretty and i was wondering if its possible to oven bake the stock headlight corner and remove the amber plastic piece to make clear corners out of the stock light and also would it shine white then and i would need to get an amber bulb ?? another mod I would like to do while it sits there is paint the calipers/rotors, can someone run me through the preparation process of that and what type of paint i should be using(keep in mind very little money lol)
thanks for your help!

Re: Clearing stock corners ?
Saturday, October 08, 2005 2:42 PM
it's possible, but not worth the effort...get some cheap clears on ebay for like $10...as for calipers, use some brake cleaner, or the stuff i used is called simple green, and clean all the crap off of it. What i did was then mask everything off...this includes fenders and doors so u don't get any overspray, and then spray away. i did 7 light coats of colour, and then 4 coats of clear.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 3:58 PM
thanks for the reply.....but am i going to have to buy a special kind of paint for high temperatures on the calipers and drums....or can i just use any brand any suggestions of something i can pick up at my local canadian tire store ?
Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:02 PM
You can take a small screwdriver and a steady hand and break the reflector out of it and not take it appart.
jacob

Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:42 PM
really.....i like the look of clear corners but i really don't want to blow any money before i pay for that fat first months of insurance like i said i just bought the car on friday and im an 18 year old male with a not so perfect speeding record so its a bitch anyways run me through this the bulb is white right , so i need to buy an amber one ?....and how exactly do i remove the corner to do this it is a 1999 Z24 cavi
thanks
Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:47 PM
Welcome
You should update your profile & add your car to it.

"Your Premier Source For Automotive Neon & Accessories!"
Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:48 PM
I don't know about the 99's . Hers is a 2000 and it had a little blue sticker in the side that the inside reflector was. Knocked that out and the round amber bulb thingy and changed the light bulbs to amber.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 5:00 PM
i see well thanks for the advice....it's a little dark here now but next free day ive got ill take a look , see if i can break it out or if not try that melting technique ....it looks pretty straight forward
Saturday, October 08, 2005 6:14 PM
I'm not sure about the 1999 cavs, but on my 2000 cav, you have to take a long screwdriver and stick it in a hole between the headlight and corner light and press it away from the headlight and the corner will pop out. If you can get in there to pop out the relector with a screwdriver or something, make SURE that you don't scratch the heck outta the inside of your headlight. You can buy slyvania bulbs that are kinda blue in color, but they light up amber (I have them in my sig). Hope this helped...

And yes, you'll need to buy higher temp paint for the calipers...

-Crystal

Saturday, October 08, 2005 7:04 PM
95-99's are just an amber colored film on the inside of the lense. you cant either stick the corner in the oven or use a hair dryer to get the corner lense apart and then just pull the amber colored film off. and seal the corner lense back up. for more info on the process, search for the how to on black corners. same process.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, October 10, 2005 8:10 AM
Duplicolor makes a caliper paint kit, that should be at your canadian tire store.
Heres a link to the duplicolor site

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html

1998 Z24

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search