Led tails - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Led tails
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:22 AM
i have orderd my leds already and have the tails. i have an idea how i want them to look like *kinda* any one have an idea on how the leds should be fited in the tails?

Re: Led tails
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:37 AM
I think it was Hot Rod or Car Craft just did an article on how to do just what your trying to do. Check there web sites and see if you can find it. They showed an older car but its basicly the same thing. Tho they didn't do the backup lights just the red.

Good luck

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:31 PM
One of 2 ways. One I'll post here, perf board from radio shack, the other, Larry, you have a PM.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:36 PM
BTW, Larry, if you have questions throughout the fab process, let me know. I'll do my best to answer them.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:12 PM
kardain could u send me the info on the leds tails plz, i have a corner marker sittin around and i just got an idea

Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:32 AM
Thats extreme overkill as far as the amount of LEDs that you have planned there, and I guarantee that you will not need nearly as many. In my tails, I only used 3 rows of 6 red LEDs, the bottom row is for parking, and the top two are for brake/blink, and I threw in 3 white LEDs in the corners for reverse. And I was told from friends following behind me that if, anything, they were a bit too bright.

What I would suggest to you if you plan on doing that, is to simply figure out a way to dispurse the light to cover the entire area that you want, rather than filling in the entire area with LEDs. The way you have them plotted out now will just be too much work, and probably turn out too bright, and look like city bus tail lights.

-- John

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:50 AM
I am in love with your tails.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:59 AM
make a smiley face

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:13 PM
I could see justifying that many LED's if he plans on using a diffuser behind the lens. If he is using a completely clear lens, half that will suffice.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:53 PM
I want to make my own led tails for my sunfire if anybody can send me the info to xtremepcconcepts@gmail.com Thanks Tim

Go Check Out My Z26 Message Board @ http://v6z26.proboards12.com/index.cgi and tell me what you think Thanks
Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:03 PM
Xtreme, because of the way that you were acting in this here thread, I refuse to offer you any type of advice or assistance.

Now, if anyone else decides to, that would be their call.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:38 PM
well i am sorry about that kardain

Go Check Out My Z26 Message Board @ http://v6z26.proboards12.com/index.cgi and tell me what you think Thanks
Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:05 PM
Wow, no respect in that post. Although, I know I may piss some people off (like Kardian), but I'm just going to go ahead and give him the how-to.

1) Unbolt tail light,
2) cut open,
3) insert LEDs,
4) wire properly,
5) reseal and install on on vehicle.

Bam! you're done! There are the basics, now if you decide to try a project like this, you might understand a little of why this is a kind of trade secret.

-- John

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:06 PM
John, you haven't done anything to piss me off, in fact you have answered some of my questions in the past. I have respect in the fact that you assisted in a project of mine.

Xtreme, apology accepted.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:14 PM
Kardain/Larry/John I will be starting a proto. this week for a set of 03+ Cavalier's...can one of you send me a PM or an email @ ozzietss@satx.rr.com on what i should be ready for,...i'm savvy w/LEDs..just never took on a project like this..thanks in Advance

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:22 PM
Kardian, there was a thick layer of sarcasm over my last post . Re-read it now with that in mind.

-- John

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:33 PM
Ah yes. I see the sarcasm now.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:33 PM
now how can i get a clear len on the tail? bc all i got on my tails are a soild red plastic lens on that

Friday, October 07, 2005 9:24 PM
Xtreme96Sunfire wrote:now how can i get a clear len on the tail? bc all i got on my tails are a soild red plastic lens on that
i am prob going to use lexan sand all the letters off the stock tails heat a pice of lexan bend it to the shape and keep heating and bending until i have it done.

Friday, October 07, 2005 9:47 PM
I'd also like some info on this project. if someone could maybe send me any kind of info i'd greatly appreciate it. send me a PM or email surge900@aol.com. thanks a lot.

Friday, October 07, 2005 9:47 PM
i would like to do this too. would it be better to just buy 12 volt LEDs or use 3 volt ones.

Friday, October 07, 2005 9:54 PM
Larry Martin wrote:
Xtreme96Sunfire wrote:now how can i get a clear len on the tail? bc all i got on my tails are a soild red plastic lens on that
i am prob going to use lexan sand all the letters off the stock tails heat a pice of lexan bend it to the shape and keep heating and bending until i have it done.

you have to make sure the heated lexan or plexi doesn't heat the tail light itself to the point of bending, otherwise it'll warp the tail light. if i were you, i'd get a spare set of lights to practice on.

Friday, October 07, 2005 10:27 PM
cannon fodder wrote:
Larry Martin wrote:

you have to make sure the heated lexan or plexi doesn't heat the tail light itself to the point of bending, otherwise it'll warp the tail light. if i were you, i'd get a spare set of lights to practice on.
i have 2 spare sets

Saturday, October 08, 2005 10:13 PM
You have a cavalier, save yourself the trouble and just buy a cheap pair of altezzas and take the clear lenses off of them.

-- John

Saturday, October 08, 2005 10:26 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search