New paint cant keep swirls off it damnit!! how? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New paint cant keep swirls off it damnit!! how?
Monday, September 19, 2005 11:11 PM
well i just got new paint like 2 weeks ago.. i swear no matter wut i do i always seem to mess it up somehow hich REALLLLY pisses me off. i bought 3 100% cotton towls to wash it with thats strickly teh only thing that touches the car. i bought like 15.00 shami or whatever the tan softt cloth to dry it.. well 2 weeks later its got swirls n @!#$ in it what do i do?!?!?! and how do i keep them off? i obviiously need to buff it or something but how do i wash my car without getting them on there. i have a darker color then before so it REALLYYYY bugs me now any help is apperciated

Re: New paint cant keep swirls off it damnit!! how
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:40 AM
You need to polish the car. That will take all the swirl marks away. When cleaning, hose the car off first. Then use soap and water. Not dish soap. Go to the auto store and get some car soap. Then rinse off and use and absorber rag to dry off. This is how I do mine and I have no marks on mine at all. I just got my paint like 3 weeks ago too.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:08 PM
no matter what if the car is touched it WILL get swirl marks, best thing to do is keep up what you are doing but once the paint fully cures use swirl mark remover a few times then top it off with a few coats of wax, always keep it waxed after that

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:24 PM
DAMN paint..lol good thing it can be fixed .. ive read in other posts your not suppose to wax for awhile when is a good time to wax after new paint? im assuming i take it to the body shop to get polished and then wax afteR?... waxing will help not get swirls when i wash it in the future correct?

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:54 PM
hey man well i worked in bodyshops all my live (16 years) and with paint jobs 30 mins out after baking for 1 hour we would wash the car with just water and no soap (just to cool the car down) and wash off any dust trust me dust gets everwhere quick in a shop thats why your waiting to see it so long when you show up and the shop where washing it again! anyways as for swirl marks was it a custom paint job? was it cheap paint used? was it base clear used? are single stage paint? there's differnt fix's for these types...however rule number 0ne (and they should of told you this there) never wash your car with anything other then JUST water for 1 month no brushs soaps, are sham's, touching your paint .......your paint is still soft and doesn't fully dry for a month it might look it but under the paint where the primer in it's still soft and sometimes on top so using a sham (or buffer like all they other peeps are saying is wrong) it only rubs inpure things into the paint and leaves.....(swirl marks) your paint is telling you it's to soft still (you used a (brand new sham right? so theres no dirt on a new sham) wait alittle longer i know i know it sucks... when you think and can't stand waiting any longer go to can tire are (high end stuff) PPG CANADA PAINTS and get swirl remover and use lots of water do it by hand ..sometimes machines make it worse after that a nice polish of your choice anyways hope it helped ............

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:59 PM
You can wash the car with soap and water. It does not hurt the paint. The clear coat is fully dry in 2 to 3 hours. What is under is not gonna be effected by a shamy. Especially a brand new one. It is true that you should not wax for a month. The primer is still curing and your base coat is too.
Why would you get swirl remover if you are gonna polish the car. That is what polish does. It removes swirl marks. You can even do it by hand but a machine is recomended.
Maybe that is what works on your paint. Our shop uses Dupont.
Hell we can compound the car after those 3 hours. Not recommended but we can.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search