Cavbolt - need advice - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavbolt - need advice
Sunday, May 29, 2005 7:57 AM
I recently had this idea and i'd love to do it. however i don't have the funds currently, and i need some advice as to what would need to be done for it to work properly. i was thinkin of puttin the circular tail lights and trunk lid from a cobalt and puttin them on my '04 cavalier but keepin the cavalier bumber. i'm sure this would require some sort of modification or fabrication. anyone with advice, i'd like to thank in advance.

Re: Cavbolt - need advice
Sunday, May 29, 2005 8:36 AM
if your really good with fiberglass, then go for it. but itll take some work to fit those lights in...you'd have to either fill in the quarter panels and put all 4 in the trunklid, or put one in the quarter panels and have to rig up custom mounts for them, and then do the same in the trunklid. itll take a lot of time i think...but i agree, worth it.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Sunday, May 29, 2005 9:18 AM
why... the cobalt is brand new.. have fun finding the items you need without paying an arm and a leg for it...... as for the fabrications see what you can do.. I dont' think it's worth it for a cobalt... try some other car where u can go to the crap yard and pick it up for cheap........

"Silver 2001 Cavalier z24 5 speed 2 door sunroof and power everything "

AEM Short Ram Intake
B&M Short Throw Shifter
Sunday, May 29, 2005 9:22 AM
look at pork chop sandwhiches's car (I think its his) his tails are basically what your looking to do, check it out

Sunday, May 29, 2005 12:17 PM
joe peps, you got a point about the cobalt being new and all. i think vetter lights would work well too. but as far as fiberglassing goes i have no experience. so it'll still cost me an arm and a leg to have it done. something to look forward to in the distant future

Sunday, May 29, 2005 6:03 PM
MFX Studios wrote:joe peps, you got a point about the cobalt being new and all. i think vetter lights would work well too. but as far as fiberglassing goes i have no experience. so it'll still cost me an arm and a leg to have it done. something to look forward to in the distant future

yeah i've always wanted to do a celica convertion.. just waiting on the money......

"Silver 2001 Cavalier z24 5 speed 2 door sunroof and power everything "

AEM Short Ram Intake
B&M Short Throw Shifter
Sunday, May 29, 2005 7:19 PM
It would take fiberglassing work, and metal work. You'd have to remove the ugly center peice of your cavy (Unless you plan to keep it, which you could still use that phat CF filler).. looks like that's whut you got .. maybe it's just the graphic). If you remove the big ugly red filler plate. lol then you'd have to glass that smooth... Once you got that done, it'd be time to determine the possitioning of the lights in the trunk (cobalt, vett). I personally would use cardboard to get the pattern of where and how the light fits into a flat peice. Use that as a stensil after measuring correct distances from each side of the trunk lid... do the same for inners. Then the fun begins, cutting the metal trunk/glass lid to fit the lights into it.. Once that's all done you'd lide the lights into the trunklid and ahhh almost finished then you'd haev to figure out a way to keep the lights into the sockets you just cut. Possibly make fiberglass cylendars to slide the light into and bolt into (leaving the space for light changing) glass the cylendar to the trunklid.. and then sand & primer the whole thing. wiring it might be complicated.. Im not sure the set ups on vettes and cobalts... but it's do-able

Yes that was all from teh seat of my pants, Im pretty creative and can fig things out like this pretty good. Im great w/ glass and love doing this sorta stuff. what i would do, is find a spare trunklid and do it that way. so the Cav's not down It would look tight! i thought baout doing that to my '99 2200, since it's my winter driver now. LOL But if you wanna talk about maybe how you could do it or want more advice, please feel free to IM me hehe I might even be willing to do the work for you. Mind you I would charge, and it might take awhile to do.. wont be a two week job. but i love doing and helping with this kinda stuff!

AIM= Twiztidtroll
Yahoo!= Twiztidtroll
MSN= TrollzDroptopZ@hotmail.com
Email= Twiztidtroll@yahoo.com

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Monday, May 30, 2005 9:52 AM
wow that's funny I was just thinking of doing the same thing the other day when I was behind a new SS. Dont have the funds yet though. I'd love to see it if you get it worked out.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:40 AM
i believe tabasco has a pic of a red cav w/ colbot tails. i know its already been done

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search