reflashing a 98 z24 to a 00 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
reflashing a 98 z24 to a 00
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:52 PM
I removed the egr crap on my 98 z24. now theres a engine light. with a 00 reflash will it take out the egr code? if this works will i need the injectors for a 00? please help!

Re: reflashing a 98 z24 to a 00
Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:55 AM
No, Don't do that. Just save you from the hassle. I wanted to let you know that I have 97 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Supercharged. I removed the entire EGR and swap in my supercharger. I found one guy who doing HP Tuning for ECM and I bought from him for $230 dollars for the reflash ECM. He does reflash Pre 99 Cavalier ECM. I installed my new ECM from him and DANG! My car does show big different. It gave me a whole lotta boost. Here is his emails vectorbundle@gmail.com incase if you wanna contact him. He will help you. Just an advise. Thanks
Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:59 AM
go to the engine general tab and set max egr to 1 rpm

Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:33 AM
so your sayin this guy could relash my ECM with HP tuning? I will be installing a LO intake mani with TB. the well known secret cams and 4-1 header.

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:32 AM
If you reflash to a 99 program it will take car of it too.

Monday, March 30, 2009 3:51 PM
zsquee24 wrote:If you reflash to a 99 program it will take car of it too.

all i want to know is would it be fine to do this even though the 98 had the low flow injectors and 9.5:1 compression?

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:51 AM
gmanz24 wrote:go to the engine general tab and set max egr to 1 rpm

So you're saying that if I do this with HPT (which I have the Pro version), I can then take my '97 Z and eliminate the EGR?
Can I remove it completely or just relocate the EGR while keeping it open air?
Sorry for all the questions gmanz24 but I had plans on getting an ECU from a '99 to eliminate the EGR and if all I've got to do is what you mentioned, that would save alot of time while eliminating the EGR completely.
Sorry for being offtopic.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:39 PM
Misnblu wrote:

So you're saying that if I do this with HPT (which I have the Pro version), I can then take my '97 Z and eliminate the EGR?
Sorry for all the questions gmanz24 but I had plans on getting an ECU from a '99 to eliminate the EGR and if all I've got to do is what you mentioned, that would save alot of time while eliminating the EGR completely.
Set the MAX table to 1, disable the DTC (do not report), remove the EGR valve and install a block off plate....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:08 PM
ImPhat0260/Cavattack2000 wrote:
Misnblu wrote:

Set the MAX table to 1, disable the DTC (do not report), remove the EGR valve and install a block off plate....

yup do exactly what he said. thats what i have done to mine. once the rpm goes past that max value it shuts off egr. go in the dtc's and disable the code.

this is what it should look like when done, im pretty sure this is the code thrown with its unplugged. see i have the MAX RPM set to 1 and the CEL is set to No Error Reported.
this is the current tune on my car and it works perfect.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:15 PM
and no edit but yes you can do whatever you like with it after. if your running the 97 intake mani you will have an issue with the open port in the back, get a 2k one or run the 2.3 LO or HO. you can totally remove the egr from the car and leave the sensor unplugged and go on with everything like it was normal. you will notice nothing. ive been like this with my HO mani for a few yrs yet. i am even running an auto pcm with my manual swapped car and i have turned off all the CEL's for the auto trans.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:16 PM
maxZ24 wrote:

all i want to know is would it be fine to do this even though the 98 had the low flow injectors and 9.5:1 compression?

Same compression and same size injectors (just a high vs low impedence). Would probably be best to just do as was explained before with HPT.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:50 PM
Thank you very much ImPhat and gman.
This makes me appreciate the HPT software even more now that I'm understanding it even better.
I can fab up an EGR block plate and get a 99+ intake manifold from the junkyard.
Great news again and thanks.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, April 13, 2009 8:12 PM
mitdr774 wrote:
maxZ24 wrote:

Same compression and same size injectors (just a high vs low impedence). Would probably be best to just do as was explained before with HPT.

yo the ld9 had 2 different compressions. the one with egr had 9.5:1 comp. with dished pistons and one without egr had 9.7:1 comp. with flat pistons. stock!

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:38 PM
my 97 ld9 had the flat pistons and the egr?

I just cant drive 55
Monday, April 20, 2009 11:41 PM
Robert Bennett wrote:my 97 ld9 had the flat pistons and the egr?

totally flat? the dish is super minimal. u sure its the original motor? could be a 2k bottom end with the 97 upper like mine was for awhile.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:06 AM
i didn't get the answer i was looking for. i have access to behind the sences of two gm dealerships. my lil bro has a 00 cavi and im wanting reflash my computer to his vin number so the egr code will not be there. will this work or will i F up my computer. i don't have HPT beacause i don't. and i don't have the extra money for someone else to tune it.

will this work? looking for a honest anwser. and not a bullsh it answer.

if no one has done it i might be the first.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:40 AM
maxZ24 wrote:i didn't get the answer i was looking for. i have access to behind the sences of two gm dealerships. my lil bro has a 00 cavi and im wanting reflash my computer to his vin number so the egr code will not be there. will this work or will i F up my computer. i don't have HPT beacause i don't. and i don't have the extra money for someone else to tune it.

will this work? looking for a honest anwser. and not a bullsh it answer.

if no one has done it i might be the first.

Do not reflash your car to a 00+ ECU, you will loose gauges. Either flash it to a 99, or do as stated in this post to disable the EGR.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:32 AM
cool thanks. do you or anyone have a 99 vin number without egr i could bum. i hate any kind of light on the dash. if so you can pm me or post that bad boy.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:44 AM
hell i might be able to do some research and just take one from someones online.......shoot

Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:56 PM
You can do what was said above (it will be cheaper) and you can get rid of the like. You do not have to reflash to another year. You can turn the light off, and disable EGR with HPT.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:43 PM
i might be able to get access to hpt but im not sure how hpt works. do you have to buy credits to put on it and program the computer like disableing egr?

Friday, June 05, 2009 11:05 AM
maxZ24 wrote:i might be able to get access to hpt but im not sure how hpt works. do you have to buy credits to put on it and program the computer like disableing egr?

i wouldnt go through gm and try and reflash to 99 or 00 as you will lose gauges and prob end up with a cel anyway. it wont effect how the car runs if you have the CEL on for the egr anyway, i drove around like that for months before i turned it off with hpt. id just put all the stuff on and just deal with the CEL for now or put some electrical tape over it till you have access to hpt and shut it off.

Friday, June 05, 2009 12:20 PM
yeah i'll just do that gman until i get the money for hpt. i dont want no crazy @!#$ going on with my gauges.

Friday, June 05, 2009 7:36 PM
maxZ24 wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:
maxZ24 wrote:

yo the ld9 had 2 different compressions. the one with egr had 9.5:1 comp. with dished pistons and one without egr had 9.7:1 comp. with flat pistons. stock!

it might go down in books as being that way but if you've been into both year range versions you'd know better.

the older version has a tiny 'v' shape protrusion inside the combustion chamber that the newer heads DO NOT have.

older version had dished pistons, newer had completely flat top pistons. its a common mis-conception that the compression ratio changed. well.. in reality the compression ratio only changed between the PISTONS. but also in reality the head design changed as well so it evens out.

put an older head on newer pistons. you'd actually have a budget high compression motor.

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.
Friday, June 05, 2009 9:34 PM
it might go down in books as being that way but if you've been into both year range versions you'd know better.

the older version has a tiny 'v' shape protrusion inside the combustion chamber that the newer heads DO NOT have.

older version had dished pistons, newer had completely flat top pistons. its a common mis-conception that the compression ratio changed. well.. in reality the compression ratio only changed between the PISTONS. but also in reality the head design changed as well so it evens out.

put an older head on newer pistons. you'd actually have a budget high compression motor.

is the v shape protrusion between exhaust valves? if so thats how mine is. and i surface preped the block today and noticed the pistons are flat as hell. so im guessing mine isn't original block or pistons. i thought my cav had never been messed with when i purchased it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search