Need 96 and 97 pinouts for computer swap. - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need 96 and 97 pinouts for computer swap.
Friday, March 27, 2009 7:29 PM
Well time has finally come to for me to swap in a 97 computer, as I have someone that is going to help me with my tuning come summer time. I believe I will have everything here shortly to do this, as I have both a 96 wiring diagram and a 97 wiring diagram, but I need the pinouts of the connectors so I can repin them the correct way.

I have done a search and everything I have come up with points to 2 dead sites, ny-jbodies and project wyldfire and even tried searching the internet "wayback machine" website to see if they happened to archive them with no luck. I hope someone has some advice or even diagrams on how to do this.

Thanks.

Re: Need 96 and 97 pinouts for computer swap.
Friday, March 27, 2009 7:31 PM
Sorry forgot to mention 2.4 and auto.

Thanks.

Friday, March 27, 2009 7:34 PM
Why not just get a 97-98 engine harness and not worry about repinning.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 30, 2009 4:46 PM
John Higgins wrote:Why not just get a 97-98 engine harness and not worry about repinning.

Too much trouble to gut everything and have to rewire everything.
Swapping pins or doing some soldering is so much easier if you know what you're doing.
I'm sure Dayton knows what's going on.
Josh, my offer still stands man on the loan of the book.
Hit me up if you need it.
If you know how to read a schematic, then it's not that hard to figure out what has to be swapped.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:29 PM
Truly how hard is it to swap a engine bay wiring?? It is not. I would bet money I could swap a engine bay harness out before you could re-pin, and soldier what ever wires have to be. Please people makes things out to be much harder than it really is.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:20 AM
If you really want to get the wiring pinouts, just go to AutoZone.com and get it from the vehicle repair guides.

www.gmscf.com
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:23 PM
Jason, their webpage for that is down.
I've tried it for several days and nothing.
But I do have the pdf files to make it all work.
So be patient Josh, I'll get you going man.

And John, I guarantee you that I can do a repin/ solder faster than you can install a new harness.
30+ years in electronics with more than enough time doing this kind of work on not only my car but others with a 100% no fail rate.
But in this situation, we're not removing the engine but just swapping ECU's/ PCM's.
We're only doing this so that we can tune out the car sometime this summer.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:24 PM
Quote:

And John, I guarantee you that I can do a repin/ solder faster than you can install a new harness.
30+ years in electronics with more than enough time doing this kind of work on not only my car but others with a 100% no fail rate.
But in this situation, we're not removing the engine but just swapping ECU's/ PCM's.

I never intended for the motor to come out to swapp out a harness.

Truly how long do you think it will take you to re-pin the harness? Truly?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:36 PM
i ve swaped a harness out it really is not that bad as everyone thinks .........hour to 2 hours of work

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:55 PM
Mr. Higgins, I know the kind of work I can do so really, the point is mute, and I'm not out to prove anything.
By the way, if I lived closer to Josh, the harness swap would've been considered but swapping pins is much easier for Josh to handle once he knows what pins have go where.
The whole topic was on swapping pins on a computer swap in which I answered the question.
I know Josh and have helped out when I can with his questions on other forums.
So, I just chimed in to reply about the situation since no one really had an answer to the question.
I've got everything I need to make the pin arrangements necessary to make it all work and thanks all.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:11 PM
Quote:

By the way, if I lived closer to Josh, the harness swap would've been considered but swapping pins is much easier for Josh to handle once he knows what pins have go where.

That comment just made the rest of what you have said, make no sense. Since you know what you can do, if you lived closer to him seems the re-pin would be the better option. Not that I agree, just basing off what you have said.

If someone can't handle a harness swap, then they can't handle a re-pin.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:16 PM
Main reason this was really considered versus just swapping the harness is, for some reason people just like to cut wires at the junkyards I visit. I really don't see hows its any faster than just using the connectors to unhook from but that' s what they do here and its not the only thing they like to break. I can't get a set of corner lights because people just bust them, I can get a dash bezel because people just bust them. These are all parts I can get very cheap out of the junkyard if I could find them good, versus getting busted on shipping prices and worrying about it getting broken in the process. I already have a perfectly good harness and why would I want to switch it out for one from a junkyard that may or may not have issues with it? I don't know, I hope to have it done soon.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:50 PM
2.4_LS_4Door (Dayton86) wrote:Main reason this was really considered versus just swapping the harness is, for some reason people just like to cut wires at the junkyards I visit. I really don't see hows its any faster than just using the connectors to unhook from but that' s what they do here and its not the only thing they like to break. I can't get a set of corner lights because people just bust them, I can get a dash bezel because people just bust them. These are all parts I can get very cheap out of the junkyard if I could find them good, versus getting busted on shipping prices and worrying about it getting broken in the process. I already have a perfectly good harness and why would I want to switch it out for one from a junkyard that may or may not have issues with it? I don't know, I hope to have it done soon.

That I can understand. It really seems to me that a lot of junkyards cut harness's as well.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:11 AM
Well after comparing the diagram to the 97 ecm i beleive i can figure out that part of it. But i can't find a decent diagram of a 96 that matches up to pin count and locations. So i am here to ask if any one has anything in a diagram for a 96. Thanks.

Friday, April 03, 2009 1:42 AM
Misnblu wrote:Jason, their webpage for that is down.
I've tried it for several days and nothing.
But I do have the pdf files to make it all work.
So be patient Josh, I'll get you going man.

That's weird, cuz after making that post I checked and saw them.

Hell, I'm looking at it now. Lemmie know if you need it and I can d/l them and email them you're way.

www.gmscf.com
Friday, April 03, 2009 4:21 AM
I did manage to get the autozone pinouts for both 96 and 97-98 and sent them his way, while the 97-98 seems to be spot on everything I can find for the 96 is very lacking. Plus I am having a very hard time getting the pins out of the harness, so we'll see.

Friday, April 03, 2009 6:26 AM
Josh, removing the pins could ruin them.
You may have to do some splicing with solder and heat shrink.
I also believe that the picture of the 96 PCM is only one of two connections being shown. There's far less connections from what I've seen in the 96 diagram than the 97 which leads me to believe we're missing a connection or they've added alot of connections to the 97 PCM.

Jason, I still don't have connection to the AutoZone page I used to have for getting that information.
Maybe they've changed something that I've not discovered yet.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, April 03, 2009 7:25 PM
James - I emailed them to you. I have your Gmail address here, so that's where it went. Should have a .zip file in there with the diagrams.

www.gmscf.com
Friday, April 03, 2009 7:56 PM
Thanks Jason.
I'll check them out.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, August 06, 2010 8:09 AM
Did anyone figure out how to do this?

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:31 PM
drunken monster wrote:Did anyone figure out how to do this?

It's pretty easy. It's in the back of the Haynes manual in the wiring diagrams.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search