version of megasquirt - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
version of megasquirt
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:14 PM
Which version would you use just for fuel tuning.

Re: version of megasquirt
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:19 PM
Well...if you don't mind true batch mode just get the MS1 v.2.2
If you actually want SFI, then you need to get the new Sequencer that's in Beta right now.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:12 PM
What version are most people running ? what's the difference between beta and sequential?

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:43 AM
No.... in order to have sequential you need to have the beta. Otherwise MS will only give you MPFI.

Which doesn't even matter really except at low speeds/cruising. So you'll get a bit better mpg, smoother response. But once you open it up and push that duty cycle up on the injectors, you're spraying on the back of the valves anyways.

www.gmscf.com
Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:14 AM
So I should use ms 1 right but there is a beta and another version? What are the numbers I have to look for for each?

Thanks
Jason

Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:10 PM
SHOoff wrote:No.... in order to have sequential you need to have the beta. Otherwise MS will only give you MPFI.

Which doesn't even matter really except at low speeds/cruising. So you'll get a bit better mpg, smoother response. But once you open it up and push that duty cycle up on the injectors, you're spraying on the back of the valves anyways.

OK, you have MS-1,MS-1-Extra(same hardware as MS-1 but with new firmware), MS-2, MS-2-Extra(again, same as MS2 but with new firmware),Microsquirt(Based on the MS2Extra), Sequencer - aka Router(Based on the Microsquirt + the long awaited Router Board on-board).

The MS "Sequencer" is still in Beta testing which means its not out to be purchased yet, but will be very shortly. The sequencer can run 8cyl COP + SEFI.
So there is 4 hardware versions of the MS, actually only 3 since the MS1 & 2 can use the same main board, just a chip upgrade. So you could boil it all don to just
1. MS
2. MicroS(again same as MS2 but in a small form factor for motorcycles and tight engine bays)
3. Sequencer(Same form factor as the MicroS)

If your just looking for fuel and don't mind going batch you might as well save the money in all those generation steps sine they are all MPFI(2 Injector banks only, ie "Batch Fire") except for the Sequencer which will be out shortly and not commercially available yet.

EDITX3: The nice thing about the Sequencer is the CAN protocol(Since that is how the Microsquirt side of the seq. and the router board talk to each other) is actually live in the firmware instead of "just there" like in the MS2 and MS2Extra. So with small amounts off effort a GM CAN chip can be added onto the proto area of the board and with the proper HEX values of the instruments in the car you could have an aftermarket ECU with all the stock creature comforts including running the stock gauges and radio functions.

EDIT#4: Damn, to further, you probly will need to build a GPIO(General Purpose I/O) CAN board to support some of the user inputs from switches and such to activate relays if they are driven thru the BCM but with a diligent effort one could have a stock-like J running full standalone without the factory ECU or BCM.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:20 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:06 PM
I was going to use the version 2.2 and does it come with the wiring to wire the fuel system and tps etc.... fully assembled what else will I need besides a cable from the unit to the laptop? Will I need the 93 cavi temp sensor?

Thx

Friday, March 27, 2009 8:01 AM
Version 2.2 is just a board revision...they have V1.0, V2.2, V3.0? and V3.57(SMD) for the mainboard's for the MS1's and MS2's. You can still run MS1,MS1Extra,MS2, or MS2Extra with either version of the mainboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 27, 2009 8:08 AM

Friday, March 27, 2009 11:36 AM
If I were you, I'd run V2.2 with MS1Extra. Some nice options available there and very cheap price points for a fuel controller.

Friday, March 27, 2009 2:05 PM
I got the V3 mainboard because of the flyback circuit being build in, rather than having a seperate one.

www.gmscf.com
Friday, March 27, 2009 7:20 PM
^only needed if you run more than 4 very low impedance injectors....you'll be fine with V2.2 without flyback, done it.

Friday, March 27, 2009 7:32 PM
Ms1 extra is a software update I can do myself right? With the 2.2 can I monitor a wideband with my lc1? And I can log and look at ve tables?

Thanks everyone
Jason

Friday, March 27, 2009 9:13 PM
Yes, the Extra code is a firmware update which uses the MS1 chip on any of the three main board revisions I listed earlier.

Here's a feature comparison:

Table Link

How-To

^This link helped me before.

Friday, March 27, 2009 9:45 PM
Cool josh looks like I will be going the ms2 route. So what board should I buy? Also when I buy a preassembled unit the program like 3.57 will be there already as software? Will I need the coolant tmp sensor and all the sensors tapped just to do fuel?
Thanks again for all the help
Jason

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:59 PM
Hey, seriously do yourself a favor and dont buy the 3.57...its SMD and unless you have lots of soldering work under your belt, it wont be the best idea. Just run the 3.0

Yes, you will need Coolant, TPS, MAP, IAT, and O2. I might be missing something but it's late and that's just off the top of my head.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:50 PM
K so could you tell me the part number on diy.com that I will need for the assembled unit? And I will need that laptop cable and the megasquirt harness anything else you can think of?

Jason

Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:57 PM
Link: MSII, V3.0

Honestly I'd recommend getting the un-assembled kit and get a STIM while your there and build both of them. You'll learn alot and can customize for future needs as you go.

EDIT: Also, this will come with a version of the MS2 base I'm pretty sure, you could probly contact them and have DIY load the newest release of the Extra for you tho I'm sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:16 PM

Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:59 PM
Josh I have a few questions and things id like to talk about could you email your number to me?
Gmto2nr@yahoo.com
Thx
Jason

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search