corolla vs. prizm - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
corolla vs. prizm
Monday, October 10, 2005 5:36 PM
98 toyota corolla, 97 geo prizm. i've alwys thought these cars looked a lot alike. i was talking to someone recently that told me they were virtually the same car (chevy/toyota cavalier). anyone have any info that could "put my mind to rest." not like i'm stressing over it, i'm just curious. i pulled them both up on kbb.com and did a picture to picture comparison and that look a lot a like. anyone?

GO PATS!!!

Re: corolla vs. prizm
Monday, October 10, 2005 5:59 PM
I always thought that they were the same, along with the newer years of the Chevrolet Prism and Toyota Corollas. Check out an 00-02, they look a little more bigger and better.
Monday, October 10, 2005 6:00 PM
yup there mostly the same car .... like the toyota matrix and the pontiac vibe .... if you....

Monday, October 10, 2005 6:02 PM
theres a new chevy prizm?

since when?

GO PATS!!!
Monday, October 10, 2005 6:03 PM
Rick Popely
cars.com
December 1, 1999
Vehicle Overview
Despite the Chevrolet bow-tie emblem on the grille, Prizm comes from Japanese DNA, not American. Prizm is a kissing cousin of the Toyota Corolla, and both are built at a California plant jointly operated by the two automotive giants. Chevrolet makes minor styling changes and equips its models differently, but Prizm is a Corolla by another name. Prizm is shorter than Chevy's homegrown Cavalier, but starts at a higher base price: $13,816 vs. $13,065. Based on interior volume, Prizm is a compact and Cavalier is a subcompact.

Interior
New standard features on the base Prizm include air conditioning, a four-speaker stereo and floormats. The upscale LSi model adds power windows, a rear defogger, tachometer and tilt steering column. Both models seat five, but only the LSi comes with a standard 60/40-split folding rear seat. Chevy lists trunk capacity as 12.1 cubic feet, not including the folded rear seat.

Exterior
Available only as a four-door sedan, Prizm's overall length of 174 inches is about 1 inch shorter than a Honda Civic sedan and 7 inches shorter than a Cavalier.

Under the Hood
Prizm uses the same 1.8-liter four-cylinder as the Corolla, and for 2000 it gains Toyota's variable-valve technology that boosts horsepower by five to 125. The engine meets California's Low Emission Vehicle standards. A five-speed manual transmission is standard, and three- and four-speed automatic transmissions are optional.

Safety
Side-impact airbags for the front seats are optional, an unusual feature for a small car in this price range. Anti-lock brakes also are optional, and daytime running lights are standard.

Performance
Because it is a Corolla in disguise, Prizm offers the same quality, reliability and durability. Because Prizm is not as popular as Corolla, either new or used, it has lower resale value.

Monday, October 10, 2005 6:06 PM
damn, thank you very much. guess tha answer all my "is that the...?" and "don't they look...?"

thanks bro

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:12 AM
yep, guys, they're the same car with different badging and sheetmetal...just like the Vibe and Matrix.

sheesh. i'd have thought you'd ask me directly

pirates kick ninja asses, f00
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:18 AM
I have corolla upper white turn signals and a corolla weapon-r intake on my 95 prizm. It has 158,000 miles on it and runs better than my 99 z24. It gets driven hard daily, and it just loves it, either car would be very reliable. From an insurance stand point a prizm is cheaper.

Oh yeah, I have a rear view mirror, a glove box ,and an ignition module from a 94 corolla. Also I has new "GM" alternator with Toyota written all over it. It was 100$ cheaper than the Toyota one. . I also have corolla rotor and pads, because they hold up better than the stock prizm ones.

But all and all same damn car.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:01 PM
to go along with that...

you will never find a kit to fit a newer prizm exactly...there's always going to be something a bit off about it, unfortunately.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:35 PM
falnfenix wrote:to go along with that...

you will never find a kit to fit a newer prizm exactly...there's always going to be something a bit off about it, unfortunately.

true ... but all you have to do is corolla conversion ahah or somehow trim the bumper to fit the headlights ? .. hmm how bout geo/ chevy prizm with a ... celica gt-s motor ? wow ... suddenly im thinkin whats an "ecotec" .. jk

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:49 PM
azncav - the 2zz swap has already been done more than once....

and if you consider, that's all the XRS is...they took the 2ZZ from the GT-S, detuned it slightly, and stuck it in a corolla. whoopee.

as far as the body kit is concerned...the rear usually fits, but the front bumpers don't. you'd have to do a corolla front end conversion on the car.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:28 PM
its a great car...like someone up there put...mine's got 105k miles and runs better than my 02 cav.

i don't wanna make it faster, just gonna get some wheels and i want the stock corolla S lip kit.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:28 PM
i had a 1990 prizm. ran better then any new car i have ever had. it had 200000 on the odometer when i sold it. but yeay prizm is just a corolla. damn great cars! i would love to have another one.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:32 PM
sparks - sign up on corollacustomz and PM supershyguy about it. he'd know where to tell you to get the kit.
Matt - i don't blame you...i think that's why i ended up deciding to keep my corolla. i still want an AE92 GT-S...it might be FWD, but that's a fun little coupe. light, handles well, popup headlights, disk brakes all around.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:58 PM
yea i still need to sign up for that, i keep forgetting. not like i don't sit in front of the computer for 4 hours after work. damn!

GO PATS!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search