DSM holding world record of 8.13 @ 176.1 MPH - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DSM holding world record of 8.13 @ 176.1 MPH
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:41 PM
http://shepracing.com/

has some sweet videos of him breaking the record.....

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims

Re: DSM holding world record of 8.13 @ 176.1 MPH
Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:30 PM
Dont you love it when DSMs have more HP than J's
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:14 PM
uhm, he got beat out buy a cobalt

other cars, better cars?
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:14 PM
just curious as to what record that was btw

other cars, better cars?
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:17 PM
Sappy96 wrote:uhm, he got beat out buy a cobalt

if you were talking to me, i was refering to a recent thread... it was a joke.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:20 PM
no
i was wondering what world record is all

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:33 AM
im not sure but i found the site and it said he had the record.....it says he has the record at 8.14 i gues.....

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:36 AM
^^^
for what class?

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:42 PM
John Sheperd runs in the PRO 4 cylinder class. He hasn't been beat by any Cobalts.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 3:16 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:John Sheperd runs in the PRO 4 cylinder class. He hasn't been beat by any Cobalts.

That is because he races IDRC. If he was to race NRHA, he wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Sunday, October 02, 2005 3:21 PM
Dave wrote:
Skilz10179 wrote:John Sheperd runs in the PRO 4 cylinder class. He hasn't been beat by any Cobalts.

That is because he races IDRC. If he was to race NRHA, he wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

Unless hell froze over.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 4:32 PM
whats the difference between the 2 classes?

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:06 PM
Dave wrote:

But you still gotta love Shep's car because its actually a real car. Its a actual 91 Talon, unibody and all. No tube chassis, no one peice front end and it even has most of the factory interior still intact.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:13 PM
the ecotec is a great engine, and can run that.....but a cav w/ a unibody frame and pertty much a normal car running 8.13 isnt gonna happen

so both records from the eco, and the DSM are very respectable

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:20 PM
I hate to say it but there is no what in hell a J can do the 5g dump off the line like a DSM. Yes i know its AWD, RT is what makes the time you all know that. someone needs to make an AWD J
Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:40 PM

i saw him race on nopi vision and he got spanked by a cobalt

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:51 PM
Sappy96 wrote:

i saw him race on nopi vision and he got spanked by a cobalt

I would have to see that video to believe it.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:56 PM
well it was on speed tv
look it up

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:07 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:
Dave wrote:

Unless hell froze over.

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:18 AM
Okay to clear things up,, For one

SHEP JUST WENT 7.8 @ 180.xx this weekend

The world record there referring too is for awd. Not 4 banger or class or anything else. its a big deal on his page because he rebuids mitsubishi transmission as a business and runs them on his car for testing.

Brent Rau's eclipse would be the fastest 4g63 eclipse and it runs 7.1's outta 2.0 liters with no aftermarket blocks.

Yes shep races in the pro 4 cylinder.
Yes it's NHRA.
Yes Gary gardella and his GM backed ecotec win many of the races with tran and shep breathing down there neck. Gary usually runs low 8's consistently. Theres been quite a few races where sheps had the fastest e/t but didn't win at the line and has had the fastest mph for a while.

So what makes sheps car special. Maybe pictures will help explain

1991 Eagle Talon purchased 15 years ago.
-An actual unibody factory car with no backhalving, tubbing, and a stock suspension architecture (I don't know if theres any other car that can run that fast and make that claim)
-Car has all Mitsu driveline, transmission, stock block and crank etc.
-His car is manual tranny and he actually shifts the thing down the track. Unheard of in a 7-8 second car and a big disadvantage compared to a race auto.
-Car is all steel, all glass, and weighs around 2500 making him around 500 lbs overweight compared to his fiberglass competitors
-He's a one man team at the track and doesn't have the money and huge sponsers the big name and factory cars do

-In other words in extremely basic terms, he has a talon with a gt42r turbo, a built up engine, and his rebuilt tranny running high 7's.

versus

Gardella's GM factory backed car which is not a cobalt in any way, shape, or form.
-The only thing the car has in common with a cobalt is the engine.
-All lightweight fiberglass chassis built from the ground up for racing, lexan windows with its own unique suspension setup
- All of Gm's money and engineering is behind it to sell to kids that the ecotec is the the next generation of import racing.
-A drag racing Hydromatic automatic tranny
-Let the picts speak for themselves.

This is why sheps the man.
Monday, October 03, 2005 12:13 PM
dave lee, good info.

Here are a couple pics of John's engine.

Enjoy!

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:50 PM
dave lee wrote:Okay to clear things up

Yes, lets clear things up, shall we?

dave lee wrote:Yes shep races in the pro 4 cylinder.
Yes it's NHRA.

Nope, there is no pro-4 cylinder class in NHRA. Further, since this DSM is AWD it would have to compete in either Pro RWD or Sport RWD. The way the car is set up now, it would not be allowed to run in Sport RWD, he would have to race Pro RWD, where the cars run in the low 6-seconds.

dave lee wrote:Yes Gary gardella and his GM backed ecotec win many of the races with tran and shep breathing down there neck. Gary usually runs low 8's consistently. Theres been quite a few races where sheps had the fastest e/t but didn't win at the line and has had the fastest mph for a while.

Shep has not, and CAN NOT run against Gardella! They are completely different classes! Gardella's car is Pro FWD, and an AWD car is restricted to the RWD class in NHRA!

So, remove foot from mouth, get your facts straight, and realize there is no comparing this car to a FWD semi or full tube frame ecotec powered car. The DSM is a great car, but it is by no means some magical holy grail. It is purpose-built, and it suits its purpose. All this "world record" bull@!#$ is just that, a load of bull. He may be able to set records for AWD cars, but you can't compare that to anything Ecotec powered, since there is no such thing as a unibody awd ecotec powered car.

Oh and face it, as good as the 4G63 is (and its a great engine) when you compare ENGINE to ENGINE ONLY (not the car, forget about the car) the Ecotec is still the better engine.

But compare a DSM to a J... well, I really don't need to say who is better there, we all know.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:54 PM
Dave wrote:

Shep has not, and CAN NOT run against Gardella! They are completely different classes! Gardella's car is Pro FWD, and an AWD car is restricted to the RWD class in NHRA!

Um........................ http://x602.putfile.com/videos/27502070626.mov

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Monday, October 03, 2005 3:02 PM
i was about to say that hes in the 7's now but that was posted allredy.

also most the people in the dsm community give him the nickname "dsm god" because he pretty much has the fastest dsm that still looks and truly is a dsm. that freakin car is awesome and so is shep.

Monday, October 03, 2005 4:17 PM
if me and shep were to bracket race.... id own him......my mini crotch rocket is real consistant in the 1/4

God of War: BEST ACTION GAME(2005 Video Game Awards)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search