Help choosing tired for my truck HELP! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help choosing tired for my truck HELP!
Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:39 PM
I am looking for tires to fit my 16" Durango rims. I have a Dakota, I would like 30-31" tires. Where can i find information about what size should I be looking at. What does the first number mean? I Really know nothing about tires. such as 235/85/16 ?? would that be a tire that would fit? or 225/75/16 ? I've found some tires on ebay that are cheap but i know you get what you pay for. any advice would be great.

Sean

-Sean Etheredge

Re: Help choosing tired for my truck HELP!
Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:48 PM
go with some 31x10.5-16 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A

Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:51 PM
mmm sexy

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

UNLIMITED streaming online movies
Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:13 PM
what does that stand for in the other numbers, 225/85/16??? most sites have the numbers set up this way.

-Sean Etheredge
Sunday, July 03, 2005 5:20 PM
either P265/70R16 or LT265/70R16, it was the factory replacement for the 31x10.5R16, it's 30.7" tall and it's what I have on my Durango.

What you are seeing is the Metric size of the tires. I'm going to use the 265/70R16 as an example

The first letter is what the tire is rated for P means Passenger Car, basically for 1/2 ton trucks and below, and LT stands for Light Truck, for 3/4-ton trucks and above.

Next is the width of the tire in millimeters, on a 265 tire it is 265 mm wide, or about 10 inches

Then there is the Aspect Ratio of the tire, it is expressed in a percentage of the width of the tire. For the 265/70 tire the distance between the top of the wheel and the top of the tire is 70% of the width of the tire

Next is the R, simply means Radial construction

Then the last number is the Diameter of the wheel.

There is more to what is on the tire sidewall, but those are the basics.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Sunday, July 03, 2005 5:50 PM
thanks that clear everything up!
sean

-Sean Etheredge
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search