BOV and MAF?? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BOV and MAF??
Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:45 AM
Ok, i know runnin bov with a MAF will make the car run rich in between shifts. My question is, my friend has a mostly stock 02 WRX. His only mods are an HKS bov and a MBC set at 15psi.......and a turbo timer and boost gauge if you want to count those. Well, if i remember correctly, his BOV dumps into the atmoshere (can the HKS be recirculated?). After taking his car around the block a few times, i didn't feel any stumbling or hesitation in between shifts. I registered on wrxforum, and i get 2 different situations. Some guys say the WRX runs rich, hesitates and they just deal with it, other guys say they've never had a single problem. Can anyone clarify how those guys get away with it?

Re: BOV and MAF??
Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:56 AM
one more thing, he says it's not the SSQ......it looks just like it, but doesn't sound like it
Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:11 PM
Depends on where inline you put it. If it was before the MAF then your air speed would drop and the car would compensate for it. If it was after the MAF then your car would still register the air flow but it would be vented out before it hits the engine causing it to go rich. So, either way would be true.

God I love MAPs...

Friday, July 01, 2005 2:25 AM
i know exactly what you are talking about, everyone says the same thing with dsm's. mostly everyone says that venting to ATMO will make it stumble. some have problems while others are completely unaffected.

me personally have never had a problem venting to the atmo when i should be recurculating, no boging hesitation nothing.

Friday, July 01, 2005 2:56 PM
This is why I'm glad my car has MAP and MAF... i just run with the MAF removed and get a nice rich base map in the ecu to run off of. Picked up 2 mph on my trap speeds from unplugging the MAF alone.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, July 01, 2005 2:58 PM
VWs have a MAF and a MAP. Weird. I don't see the reason for that.

Friday, July 01, 2005 4:42 PM
thats cuz VW sucks

Friday, July 01, 2005 5:05 PM
A.15 wrote:VWs have a MAF and a MAP. Weird. I don't see the reason for that.

MAP is used primarily to detect overboost, whereas the MAF is for fine-tuning fuel control... the stock wideband O2 sensor does the majority of fuel tuning, which is why with my MAP clamped to not see more than 10 psi (so that i can run 20 without a chip and not have the computer close the throttle plate on me), and my MAF unplugged, I'm still not running lean.

Quote:

thats cuz VW sucks

So does your mom, but i didn't go bringing that up did i?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, July 01, 2005 5:26 PM
Oh ok. I understand kinda.

Friday, July 01, 2005 7:33 PM
Some WRX's run good w/ a vent to air, while some don't. 2 buddies of mine put a vta valves on their cars and they both took them off b/c the car took longer to spool up in the next gear. Tuning fixes this problem.

HKS does have a recirc valve.

2003 Lancer Evolution VIII 300 AWHP / 309 LB/FT TORQUE (tapering mbc)

Friday, July 01, 2005 11:40 PM
Jersey Jay 1.8T wrote:
Quote:

thats cuz VW sucks

So does your mom, but i didn't go bringing that up did i?

yes you did! meanie! I'm tellin mom!

Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:31 AM
Hal Brain wrote:Some WRX's run good w/ a vent to air, while some don't. 2 buddies of mine put a vta valves on their cars and they both took them off b/c the car took longer to spool up in the next gear. Tuning fixes this problem.

HKS does have a recirc valve.

hks does make a recirc. kit for there ssq.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search