Your advice on Old vs New: Project car? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Your advice on Old vs New: Project car?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:47 AM
I can't make up my mind on a lot of things, but getting this ironed out will narrow it down a lot. I'm looking for a project car, something not insanely torn down or rusted. More like a fixer-upper in need of a little TLC.

I can't decide on my pick. I have always wanted a turbo'd civic. So that got me looking at the early 90's hatchbacks. If I went that route I'd probably do an engine swap and proceed from there, the outside would be restored to new, but I wouldn't rice it out at all. There's that and a GSX eclipse. Also 240's.

Then there's the other side of me that wants something possibly older, with a rumble. So in that area I'm looking at 3rd gen Camaro's, or a mid-late 90's Trans Am. Or, if I could find a decent one, a Fox mustang. Then there's the idea of picking up an older truck and tearing into it.

Regardless of my decision, it has to have a backseat. Even though it's going to be a 2nd car, my wife made that a must. I had to pass up a sweet El Camino for that very reason....

Can you guys help me out with the pro/con of the two possibilities?

Re: Your advice on Old vs New: Project car?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:12 AM
You are on two different ends of the spectrum here.

Personally I think that doing a tuner car would be a little cheaper with the craze shooting out so much aftermarket for those specific cars you mentioned. I'd say stay away from the Eclipse. They can be fun car's but if you plan on building it for any serious horsepower numbers...be prepared for the car to spend more time on jackstands then not. I say do a Corolla AE86. Now THAT would be a fun car!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:54 AM
Trevor Blesh wrote:You are on two different ends of the spectrum here.

Personally I think that doing a tuner car would be a little cheaper with the craze shooting out so much aftermarket for those specific cars you mentioned. I'd say stay away from the Eclipse. They can be fun car's but if you plan on building it for any serious horsepower numbers...be prepared for the car to spend more time on jackstands then not. I say do a Corolla AE86. Now THAT would be a fun car!

the ae86 is def a fun car and even better if you do the altezza motor swap on it.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:25 AM
LS1 swap a 240sx. You'll get the rumble you want in a tuner package. You can buy the modded subframes, brackets, and everything else online.

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:51 AM
I always recommend pre- OBD2 cars, for the sheer fact that there's less to worry about when inspection time rolls around. The thing with imports, even the cheap ones tend to be expensive to build into anything impressive. Personally, from an "ease of tinkering" aspect, you simply can't go wrong with anything SBC equipped, or hell, even (dare I say it) a 5.0 stang.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:18 PM
Tinkles wrote:LS1 swap a 240sx. You'll get the rumble you want in a tuner package. You can buy the modded subframes, brackets, and everything else online.

I don't think I could do it man...That just seems so wrong.

Aside from the OBD2 issue, what other things should I consider? I have to have AC(get's triple digits down here and it's usually a 80 degree type of winter). I know some motor swaps eliminate that.

Aren't AE86's extremely hard to come by? I agree it would be an AWESOME project, but I've always heard they're hard to find..and expensive now since drifting hit the US.

From Stang to Camaro(of the same era) what are the biggest differences. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I have a soft spot for both and they are plentiful and relatively cheap, so really both would work.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:29 PM
Both mustangs and camaro's are retivley cheap. the camaro handled better and was faster out of the box. Me personaly i have driven both a cobra and an ls1 ss.both are retarded fast. I liked the camaro slighty better with the seating and the way it corners. My favorite Z28 was an 91 black on black flowmaster 40's and an ls1 stuffed under the hood. TPI's "torquey" in the old camaros had limitations and LT1's where just not that powerfull. but they had plenty of potential. Just make sure you upgrade the brakes if you get one. they sell 2 piston calipers for 400 that help braking in the 85-94 era camaros and they need it.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:50 PM
I should mention that whatever I go with I really want to boost it.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:04 PM
First hand what is your budget and have you planned out what you want to spend. When my brother did his '66 stang his budget doubled. So what ever you decided on budget just plan to go over it!!!! Good luck ....... go with the v8!

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:53 PM
24zeta wrote:First hand what is your budget and have you planned out what you want to spend. When my brother did his '66 stang his budget doubled. So what ever you decided on budget just plan to go over it!!!! Good luck ....... go with the v8!

5-7k for the initial purchase then about 5-10K yearly. thats what i am thinking right now' but it might change depending on what i settle on.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:28 PM
7-9k will get you in a decent ls1 6 speed car . Also for that money you can get into a decent muscle car project. Fox bodies are dirt cheap now and you could build a badass one for that money.

I'd opt for v8 rwd, but then you have to decide what kind of car you want first....

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:47 PM
how about a AE86 with an ls1 now that would be badass

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:01 PM
Robtco99 wrote:7-9k will get you in a decent ls1 6 speed car . Also for that money you can get into a decent muscle car project. Fox bodies are dirt cheap now and you could build a badass one for that money.

I'd opt for v8 rwd, but then you have to decide what kind of car you want first....

The more I think this over the more I think I'm going to go with something like a Trans Am. My mom had a 97 when I was in high school and I had a lot of good memories in that car. It was a lot of fun, even as an auto, so I can only imagine the fun I'd have with it being 6 spd. But that doesn't seem like much of a project. Just a go fast car, which may be better for me anyway.

I think I'd be better off going that route. By the time I bought a civic, did a motor swap, bought a turbo kit and did all that I'd be into the 5 digits on cost. And it would still not have as much potential, and probably have a lower resale value.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:35 AM
Start with this

Add this

And the reason for the nastiness

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:34 PM
Hellion179 wrote:
24zeta wrote:First hand what is your budget and have you planned out what you want to spend. When my brother did his '66 stang his budget doubled. So what ever you decided on budget just plan to go over it!!!! Good luck ....... go with the v8!

5-7k for the initial purchase then about 5-10K yearly. thats what i am thinking right now' but it might change depending on what i settle on.

Nice!!! Very good budget...I agree go with an LS1...they do say the engine was touched by the hands of God. You will love the LS1 engine.

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:40 PM
LS1 is 98+ right? I keep running across a bunch of like 94-96's for around 5K. I have yet to see anything local but I just started looking. How much of a difference is there between LT1 and LS1? I know the LS is aluminum and makes more power stock, but what's the difference with modding and such?
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:10 PM
Go with the ls1 period. I have a 96 formula lt1 and the extra money spent on an ls1 is money well spent ...

check out www.ls1tech.com
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:15 PM
cougar xr7 thats all i got to say

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:34 PM
How 'bout a late 80's G-body? Those things are wickedly fast with a V8 swap. The initial purchase would be less than a transam, and you could make a total sleeper as long as you don't slap on some stupid 8 inch cowl hood.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:38 PM
How about you just look for cars for sale, and when you find a great deal on ANY car you would enjoy having as a project car jump on it.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:41 PM
I am a bit bias but....

EF (88-91 Civic Hatch) You can get a mint shell for less then 1k.

H22 dropped in (you can find onefor 4k down south with your mounts and all the needed goodies.)

Drag radials

and your running a 12.8.

Total cost. 5k. AT most if you do the work yourself.

You will have a car that is a BLAST to drive. AND if you want to get even faster, spray ! We have a guy @ Cayuga spraying a stock H22 Type S motor is his EG hatch running 11's. !

SPeed rarely gets ANY cheaper then that !

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"

Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:38 AM
^ and no rumble whatsoever....

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:43 AM
Darkstars wrote:How about you just look for cars for sale, and when you find a great deal on ANY car you would enjoy having as a project car jump on it.

Good advice. Trying to keep myself from getting too set on one vehicle. I wish I could afford more than one, lol.

Short Hand: It's hard to find any vehicle down here for under 2-3K with a title.

How hard would it be to swap an LS1 into a 3rd gen camaro? I really like that body style. That seems like it'd be one hell of a fun project.
Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:49 AM
do an older car
something classic
because in the end, if you decide to do another project and want to dump it, you will get more back than you would anything newer, and it will be easier to sell

Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:13 AM
Darkstars wrote:How about you just look for cars for sale, and when you find a great deal on ANY car you would enjoy having as a project car jump on it.

That is exactly how I came across my Mustang. I simply looked around until the right deal came along. I didn't have a specific car in mind, just a few guidelines like the OP has. Except my guidelines were: V8, 2 doors, stick shift. ANyhow, good luck on the hunt, just search for that unpassable deal and don't rush into an iffy car for the sake of getting a project asap.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search