future engine?? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
future engine??
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:06 PM

Re: future engine??
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:11 PM
Looks promising, BUT I feel we should be leaving our dependency on anything that runs on fossil fuels period. We need to move to Electric vehicles. This is a great stop gap solution though.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:31 AM
hydrogen is going to be the fuel of tomorrow.....not electricity.

but looks like a modified pancake motor.......should be nice for the subarus and porches.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:15 AM
John Benham wrote:hydrogen is going to be the fuel of tomorrow.....not electricity.

No, he was right. Hydrogen may be the fuel of tomorrow, but electricity is what will power the engine. A fuel cell car is an *electric* car that has a cell which combines hydrogen and oxygen to create electricity.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:39 PM
hmmmmm, I was thinking it was an internal combustion process.......

any links to show this process dave?

Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:31 PM
http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-cell.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell are good places to start.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:40 PM
39.5% efficiency... Awesome!!! Way better than normal IC engines...

Friday, October 17, 2008 10:51 PM
wonder how it sounds

Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:49 AM
Short Hand wrote:Looks promising, BUT I feel we should be leaving our dependency on anything that runs on fossil fuels period. We need to move to Electric vehicles. This is a great stop gap solution though.

If its a plug in electric vehicle, where do you think the electricity is coming from?

I wonder how this engine holds up to high power appliactions?

Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:52 AM
mitdr774 wrote:
Short Hand wrote:Looks promising, BUT I feel we should be leaving our dependency on anything that runs on fossil fuels period. We need to move to Electric vehicles. This is a great stop gap solution though.

If its a plug in electric vehicle, where do you think the electricity is coming from?

That depends where you live, not always fossil fuel generated.
Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:40 AM
Punkerest wrote:39.5% efficiency... Awesome!!! Way better than normal IC engines...

Yes, but still can't touch the 80% efficiency of an electric engine. That makes it only a marginal step in the right direction. If it is not economically feasible to mass produce this engine (and that includes service life of the engine), then it is pointless this late in the game.

mitdr774 wrote:If its a plug in electric vehicle, where do you think the electricity is coming from?

Increasingly it will start coming from solar and wind power. Hopefully there will be some new nuclear plants in the future also. By the time it becomes cost effective to begin selling fuel cell cars, I hope we will be relying more on renewable energy, and highly efficient nuclear reactors.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:13 PM
Solar and wind are a bit to costly right now and most people dont want either near them. Nukes would be a great option if any new ones are ever allowed to be constructed. Sure would keep me busy for a while if they build one in my area. Once again nobody wants one near them.

Where I live solar and wind are ok for small use but not for major power generation as this isnt exactly a good area for them. Now when I drove out to Wyoming I say a fair number of wind turbines, but there is plenty of room and wind for them. Solar is still just a bit to pricey right now, and life expectancy of systems isnt great enough for them to be cost effective yet. At least for the applications they can be used for around me. If things get passed there are plans for 2 more coal fired plants and one nuke in my state. If plug ins become a popular item soon we will need these plants to keep up with demand, especialy in the summer.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:21 PM
mitdr774 wrote:

I wonder how this engine holds up to high power appliactions?

I live in Ontario. HYDRO !. Not to mention the shift to green power IS the way to go (Geothermal, Wind, Tidal, Solar, ETC) We have the means to do it.. BUT when people are making so much money off of Fossil fuel generated power.. it is not likely you will see a change anytime soon.

BUT it still does not matter, the fossil fuels used to make the electricity for which you plugged your car in are FAR less then how much a gasoline engine puts out.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:57 PM
Quote:

wonder how it sounds

http://www.revetec.com/gallery_video.htm

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:50 AM
The problem with wind and solar is that there simply needs to be far too much infrastructure constructed to make them produce enough energy to make a significant dent in our demands. The only real hope of getting off fossil fuels in the foreseeable future is nuclear, but people are still too afraid of it, hence why no new plants have been built in years.

Anyway, the engine looks like an interesting combination of a horizontally opposed piston engine and a rotary..... Since the pistons are still doing the power processes, instead of relying on an apex seal, I could see where this has the potential to work... I'm just curious as to how much rpm its capable of, since the bearings appear to be a ball bearing type design, and the cams would seem to put uneven load levels on the outer race... Also, if it rivals the efficiency of a diesel fueled piston engine, wonder what it could do running on diesel? Shouldn't take much in the way of swapping to different pistons and rings in order to do it..... This is actually the first new take on the internal combustion engine that I've seen where I actually think it may have the potential to go somewhere... After all, electric technology is still not quite up to par for a lot of circumstances, and this engine uses fairly common, easily produced parts which could easily be made with current technology....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, October 24, 2008 12:55 PM
you mean like 240volts rather than 110volts!!! lol

110v=Low output
240v=H.O

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:16 PM
They sound pretty beastly. I like

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:07 PM
JerseyJayLN2 (Scarab) wrote:The problem with wind and solar is that there simply needs to be far too much infrastructure constructed to make them produce enough energy to make a significant dent in our demands. The only real hope of getting off fossil fuels in the foreseeable future is nuclear, but people are still too afraid of it, hence why no new plants have been built in years.

Anyway, the engine looks like an interesting combination of a horizontally opposed piston engine and a rotary..... Since the pistons are still doing the power processes, instead of relying on an apex seal, I could see where this has the potential to work... I'm just curious as to how much rpm its capable of, since the bearings appear to be a ball bearing type design, and the cams would seem to put uneven load levels on the outer race... Also, if it rivals the efficiency of a diesel fueled piston engine, wonder what it could do running on diesel? Shouldn't take much in the way of swapping to different pistons and rings in order to do it..... This is actually the first new take on the internal combustion engine that I've seen where I actually think it may have the potential to go somewhere... After all, electric technology is still not quite up to par for a lot of circumstances, and this engine uses fairly common, easily produced parts which could easily be made with current technology....

Completely UNTRUE. Infact... Ill call that a blatant lie.

You have MULTIPLE means within nature to generate power, threw combination's of wind, solar, geothermal (WHICH alone could power the planet for ever..), tidal.. WAVE... ect. TO many solutions, and the problem being is they are nearly FREE when it comes to a "fuel" source. (fuel being the sun, wind ect). When the fossil fuel industry is in the trillions ! revenue wise.. COULD you not see why some people want to maintain that source of revenue ?

My Cav
I give up...
Friday, October 24, 2008 11:35 PM
Looks like something that will wear out quicker than a rotary.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search