Pontiac G5 Whats the opinion?? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac G5 Whats the opinion??
Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:25 PM
Hi All,

As mi km's build I am looking for a replacement, and with the way deals are, I am looking at a new G5. Whats the opinion on them? Looking at a clone of mine, 2.2L 5speed.

Thanks,

Will

Real Cars ( and Trucks. ) Have 3 Pedals, 2 Shifters, and No Sparkplugs!!

Re: Pontiac G5 Whats the opinion??
Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:50 PM
They are way more refined than any J ever was. An all around better car. Much quieter, way fewer squeaks and rattles, higher quality materials, handles better, and rides better. In the time I spent in rental Cobalts I actually liked it alot. Feels powerfull, and drives nice. Problems I found was that I couldn't quite get comfortable, gas mileages didn't seem that great (possible cause the car is heavy), and the lack of center console (in the base model), and an oddly placed center console in the higher trim livels blocks access to the E-brake handle. Also on the Cobalt SS I drove, I found that the shifter was too far back. (This is all based on my experience with the delta cars.)

As for the small car market in general, there are probably better cars out there. But with the price you can get a G5 for, it's definate worth a looking into.
Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:52 PM
Thank you. Is the newest version of the ecotec timing chain or belt?

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:36 PM
meh i dont think base deltas are all that great compared to the Js

Refined, theres just less noise, its not really any better. Handling, I'd beg to differ. Feels more powerful meh not any more than a J with the supercharger kit on. Gas mileage is actually better thats mostly due to newer PCMs and better electronics, the L61 pcm for the J is pretty stone age.

G5 is a pointless car to even be made, its a cobalt with a different bumper, thats it

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:27 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:meh i dont think base deltas are all that great compared to the Js

Refined, theres just less noise, its not really any better. Handling, I'd beg to differ. Feels more powerful meh not any more than a J with the supercharger kit on. Gas mileage is actually better thats mostly due to newer PCMs and better electronics, the L61 pcm for the J is pretty stone age.

G5 is a pointless car to even be made, its a cobalt with a different bumper, thats it

I found that there was alot less vibration, but I am comparing the auto to my 5spd, so it's not quite apples to apples. I wouldn't say it feels more powerfull than the Js, but I just like the torque of the engine, compared to some other compacts.

Cobalt with a different bumper maybe; but it's a way better looking bumper haha.
Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:51 PM
Still stuck with the same crappy rear suspension. Used Cavi or Fire with an Eco is a better option.

Only reason to go Cobalt or G5 should be for the factory supercharger.

-Chris

Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:04 PM
I love the look of the Pontiac, not the Cobalt.

Not really gonna mods it, and am not buying another jbody.

Love the G5 looks.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:39 AM
Meh, its an affordable car. NOTHING great about it.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:51 AM
^he said it.

get a 5speed 4 sure. drove an auto. and well, it was terrible.

WiGM-Tuners member.
Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:20 PM
i have a 2007 G5 GT 5 speed. i love mine. it has 24k on it right now and i just got back from vacation. i drove to MT washington in NH and we drove up to the top. for the price i paid for this car there isint much out there that can match it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search